News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Getting The Bandstink Back Together—Blackhawks 2013-?? Dynastink Thread  ( 29,009 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Getting The Bandstink Back Together—Blackhawks 2013-?? Dynastink Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 11:54:02 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 04, 2013, 11:20:53 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 11:12:52 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 04, 2013, 10:58:45 AM
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 10:45:45 AM
The fact that Stan Bowman essentially held the line on means the only complaint anyone can have is that they have a goalie who is signed until he's 35 or a defenseman who is signed until he's 32.
My only question would be on how Hossa's contract fits into this.  There are some cap effects that happen if he retires / quits before the end of his contract that I don't fully understand other than that the costs are high.  It certainly appears that Hjalmarsson's contract being low helps cushion the (probable) Hossa costs.  Scott and Stan know what they are doing.

The quick & dirty way to circumvent the salary cap with Hossa is to just place him on Long Term Injured Reserve once training camp opens, that way his salary doesn't count against the Cap. He just can't officially retire until his contract runs out. This is what Philadelphia is doing with Chris Pronger and what Boston is doing with Marc Savard.

So is Hossa glue then? Fuck.

No, he's still got at least enough years left in him to notch his 500th goal (he got #400 in 2013). Just when the time comes, this will be the Hawks' move.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 12:14:15 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 11:54:02 AM
The fact that Stan Bowman essentially held the line on means the only complaint anyone can have is that they have a goalie who is signed until he's 35 or a defenseman who is signed until he's 32.
My only question would be on how Hossa's contract fits into this.  There are some cap effects that happen if he retires / quits before the end of his contract that I don't fully understand other than that the costs are high.  It certainly appears that Hjalmarsson's contract being low helps cushion the (probable) Hossa costs.  Scott and Stan know what they are doing.

The quick & dirty way to circumvent the salary cap with Hossa is to just place him on Long Term Injured Reserve once training camp opens, that way his salary doesn't count against the Cap. He just can't officially retire until his contract runs out. This is what Philadelphia is doing with Chris Pronger and what Boston is doing with Marc Savard.

No, he's still got at least enough years left in him to notch his 500th goal (he got #400 in 2013). Just when the time comes, this will be the Hawks' move.

If the Hawks thought Hoss were done for now, they would have used one of their compliance buyouts on him earlier this summer to wipe his cap hit off the books.

Fork is talking about the future.

If Hossa retires or flees the NHL before the end of his contract, the Hawks would be on the hook for all the cap space they'd saved by back-loading the deal ("cap advantage recapture").

And, since they can no longer bury large cap hits in the AHL (or, as with Huet, in a Euro league), LTIR will be the only way to keep him from impacting their cap space when it comes time for it.

A player eligible for LTIR is one who:

Quote... becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games...

This can be subject to a challenge from the league and review by a neutral physician.

Presumably that won't be an issue as, by the time Hossa retires, there will have likely been enough brain scramblings and various and sundry back maladies to qualify him as legitimately "unfit to play". Yay?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 12:25:45 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 04, 2013, 12:14:15 PM

If the Hawks thought Hoss were done for now, they would have used one of their compliance buyouts on him earlier this summer to wipe his cap hit off the books.

If Hossa retires or flees the NHL before the end of his contract, the Hawks would be on the hook for all the cap space they'd saved by back-loading the deal ("cap advantage recapture").

And, since they can no longer bury large cap hits in the AHL (or, as with Huet, in a Euro league), LTIR will be the only way to keep him from impacting their cap space when it comes time for it.

Quote... becomes unfit to play (i.e., is injured, ill or disabled and unable to perform his duties as a hockey Player) such that the Club's physician believes, in his or her opinion, that the Player, owing to either an injury or an illness, will be unfit to play for at least (i) twenty-four (24) calendar days and (ii) ten (10) NHL Regular Season games...

This can be subject to a challenge from the league and review by a neutral physician.

Presumably that won't be an issue as, by the time Hossa retires, there will have likely been enough brain scramblings and various and sundry back maladies to qualify him as legitimately "unfit to play". Yay?

Yay.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 12:31:43 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 04, 2013, 12:14:15 PM

I couldn't find anything in the CBA that would prevent a team from trading a player to a team that hasn't used both their compliance buyouts after this season, so that he could be bought out there (the 2 buyouts per team could be used in windows in 2013 - since past - and 2014). I don't think the Hawks would use this on Hossa, but there are still some lousy contracts out there. Not to mention, a few guys, Martin Havlat for example, were hurt and couldn't get bought out this summer. Perhaps the biggest masterstroke the Hawks had was getting Steve Montador and Rostslav Olesz into some games in Rockford, so they were cleared for play/buyout.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 12:41:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 04, 2013, 12:31:43 PM
I couldn't find anything in the CBA that would prevent a team from trading a player to a team that hasn't used both their compliance buyouts after this season, so that he could be bought out there (the 2 buyouts per team could be used in windows in 2013 - since past - and 2014).

No, but it's certainly possible that the league would still declare it to be cap circumvention, just as they did with Tampa's attempted shenanigans with Lecavalier this summer.

As far as I'm aware there was nothing in the letter of the law that forbade that scheme, but the league still nixed it as contrary to the spirit of the thing.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 12:48:57 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 04, 2013, 12:41:35 PM
I couldn't find anything in the CBA that would prevent a team from trading a player to a team that hasn't used both their compliance buyouts after this season, so that he could be bought out there (the 2 buyouts per team could be used in windows in 2013 - since past - and 2014).

No, but it's certainly possible that the league would still declare it to be cap circumvention, just as they did with Tampa's attempted shenanigans with Lecavalier this summer.

As far as I'm aware there was nothing in the letter of the law that forbade that scheme, but the league still nixed it as contrary to the spirit of the thing.

They did, although the main sticking point for the league appears to have been Tampa's intention to re-sign Lecavalier after he was bought out.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/trade-and-buyout-deal-between-lightning-maple-leafs-for-vincent-lecavalier-reportedly-nixed

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2013, 12:51:01 PM »

Not only did Lacavalier get bought out, but then Philly gave him a fuckload of money - after using their two buyouts, including one on Daniel Briere, who is just a shorter version of Lacavalier.

The Flyers are one hilariously inept bunch.
TIME TO POST!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 01:06:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on September 04, 2013, 12:48:57 PM

They did, although the main sticking point for the league appears to have been Tampa's intention to re-sign Lecavalier after he was bought out.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/06/26/trade-and-buyout-deal-between-lightning-maple-leafs-for-vincent-lecavalier-reportedly-nixed

Right. Thus circumventing the CBA rule against re-signing a bought out player within a year of their amnesty. Just as Fork's plan would involve trading a player only for sake of circumventing the 2-compliance-buyout limit.

I suppose if the player were traded in-season and actually played for his new squadron before getting bought out that would probably be cool. But, in that case, the trading team is only getting a few months out of him themselves anyways.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:31 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 04, 2013, 01:06:45 PM
Quote from: CT III on September 04, 2013, 12:48:57 PM

Right. Thus circumventing the CBA rule against re-signing a bought out player within a year of their amnesty. Just as Fork's plan would involve trading a player only for sake of circumventing the 2-compliance-buyout limit.

I suppose if the player were traded in-season and actually played for his new squadron before getting bought out that would probably be cool. But, in that case, the trading team is only getting a few months out of him themselves anyways.

The trading team could also help pay for him under the new CBA. But then they get cap space. The CBA as originally published even had a loophole that would have allowed a team to buy out a player and resign him at a lower cap hit. They sealed up that gambit before the BoG voted on it.
TIME TO POST!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 12:17:55 AM »
Going long on silver in the cheddar pit...

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 07:55:14 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 18, 2013, 12:17:55 AM

Pretty much all trading came to a screeching halt while he was here.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 08:35:33 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 18, 2013, 07:55:14 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 18, 2013, 12:17:55 AM

Pretty much all trading came to a screeching halt while he was here.

HE WAS CLOWNIN' WITH DA TRAITORS DA UDDER DAY BUT COULDN'T PLAY IN A PRESEASON GAME AGAINST DA HATED RED WINGS?!?

TOVES HAS GONE SOFT, DIS IS NOT WHAT I PAY HIS CELERY FOR

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:38 AM »
What's the deal with the jacket?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 08:57:09 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 18, 2013, 08:47:38 AM

I heard he's got dozens of them, wears them everywhere.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 10:02:08 AM »
Quote from: flannj on September 18, 2013, 08:57:09 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 18, 2013, 08:47:38 AM

I heard he's got dozens of them, wears them everywhere.

Did he short FCOJ?
TIME TO POST!