News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Life On Mars  ( 47,691 )

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Life On Mars
« Reply #150 on: October 14, 2008, 11:58:31 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on October 14, 2008, 11:51:48 AM
Quote from: cubbiebluestew on October 14, 2008, 11:49:13 AM
Quote from: 5laky on October 14, 2008, 10:27:36 AM
Quote from: cubbiebluestew on October 14, 2008, 09:54:27 AM
Quote from: 5laky on October 14, 2008, 08:35:13 AM
Quote from: DwightKurtz on October 12, 2008, 11:03:44 AM
Quote from: Kerm on October 10, 2008, 10:47:06 AM
I suspect Harvey Keitel was a bad choice as Gene Hunt.  For one thing, I couldn't understand a goddamn word he was saying.  For another thing, Sam Tyler could kick his ass.  Part of the awesomeness of the Guv was that he was physically intimidating, and would have smacked the shit out of Sam.

Also, they made Ray's character too likable.

I hope this ends up being good, though.

Keitel sucks as the Guv.  He's like a sad parody of the British Gene Hunt.

I think in the first and only 20 minutes I watched, this is what killed it for me. These "characters" offer little appeal. Maybe the 70's in England were just way better. I always thought they would have been awesome in the US. I guess I was wrong.

Dazed and Confused IS A LIAR.

I think that the '70s were awesome.  Although generally we produced crap (Peter Max was the iconic artist of the times) there was a lot of innovation.  Music.  Polyester.  Sideburns.  Nixon.  Impeachment.  Vietnam protests.  Weed.  Experimentation.  Peace and Freedom.  Huey Newton.  Eldridge Cleaver.  I got through it.

My faith has been restored. Thanks Stew.

You had faith in bell bottoms and wide lapels?

I have faith. Have.

Well, you gotta have faith.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: October 14, 2008, 11:59:03 AM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 14, 2008, 10:34:26 AM
Quote from: Kerm on October 14, 2008, 10:03:17 AM
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 14, 2008, 09:06:09 AM
It's an American problem.  We don't like unattractive leads in our dramas (especially our action dramas).  The lead needs to be an attractive, well built, person.  Unless you're doing comedy where the lead is wacky or the perennial underdog, most of America won't buy in, the show gets critical acclaim and low ratings, and gets canceled after 9 eps.

Who could you picture bullying around the US version of Sam?

On the plus side, I think they found their lead in the new Captian America movie.

Harvey Keitel is attractive now?

I was honestly going to suggest the dude from Con Air and Cliffhanger (Colm Meaney) because he looks like the Guv, and in searching for his name I found this.  Apparently, the unaired pilot HAD Colm Meaney as Hunt.  I wonder if I read that somewhere.  It also had the hot girl from BSG: Razor as Maya instead of Lisa Bonet.

Damn.

Harv ain't the lead.  I was speaking more towards the problem of casting a non-attractive male lead so Harvey could play the badass. 

The Guv is ALWAYS the lead, damnit!

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: October 14, 2008, 12:02:43 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 14, 2008, 11:59:03 AM
It's an American problem.  We don't like unattractive leads in our dramas (especially our action dramas).  The lead needs to be an attractive, well built, person.  Unless you're doing comedy where the lead is wacky or the perennial underdog, most of America won't buy in, the show gets critical acclaim and low ratings, and gets canceled after 9 eps.

On the plus side, I think they found their lead in the new Captian America movie.

I was honestly going to suggest the dude from Con Air and Cliffhanger (Colm Meaney) because he looks like the Guv, and in searching for his name I found this.  Apparently, the unaired pilot HAD Colm Meaney as Hunt.  I wonder if I read that somewhere.  It also had the hot girl from BSG: Razor as Maya instead of Lisa Bonet.

Damn.

Harv ain't the lead.  I was speaking more towards the problem of casting a non-attractive male lead so Harvey could play the badass. 

Not any more.  We've taken the BBC version and turned it into a Meximelt.
Alright ,uh, later dudes, S you in your A's, dont wear a C, and J all over your B's.

TDubbs

• TJG's 5th best writer
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: October 14, 2008, 12:35:07 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 14, 2008, 12:02:43 PM
Quote from: Kerm on October 14, 2008, 11:59:03 AM

Damn.

Not any more.  We've taken the BBC version and turned it into a Meximelt.

The football food?
THERE ARE TOO MANY MEN ON THE FIELD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5laky

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: October 14, 2008, 01:12:31 PM »
Yeah, I'm not watching this anymore.

cubbiebluestew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: October 14, 2008, 03:13:55 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 14, 2008, 11:58:31 AM
I suspect Harvey Keitel was a bad choice as Gene Hunt.  For one thing, I couldn't understand a goddamn word he was saying.  For another thing, Sam Tyler could kick his ass.  Part of the awesomeness of the Guv was that he was physically intimidating, and would have smacked the shit out of Sam.

I think in the first and only 20 minutes I watched, this is what killed it for me. These "characters" offer little appeal. Maybe the 70's in England were just way better. I always thought they would have been awesome in the US. I guess I was wrong.

I think that the '70s were awesome.  Although generally we produced crap (Peter Max was the iconic artist of the times) there was a lot of innovation.  Music.  Polyester.  Sideburns.  Nixon.  Impeachment.  Vietnam protests.  Weed.  Experimentation.  Peace and Freedom.  Huey Newton.  Eldridge Cleaver.  I got through it.

I have faith. Have.

No.  You gotta have hope.  Mustn't sit around and mope.  All you really need is hope.
Life is too short to be a Cub fan

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: October 15, 2008, 05:38:19 AM »
Quote from: cubbiebluestew on October 14, 2008, 03:13:55 PM

I have faith. Have.

No.  You gotta have hope.  Mustn't sit around and mope.  All you really need is hope.

No, you gotta have faith, faith, faith.

TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: October 15, 2008, 07:47:20 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 15, 2008, 05:38:19 AM
Quote from: cubbiebluestew on October 14, 2008, 03:13:55 PM

I have faith. Have.

No, you gotta have faith, faith, faith.

!!!!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2008, 09:31:38 AM »
This was a show that didn't need an American remake and got a bad one.  Harvey Keitel is too fucking old to be the Gov.  He's in shape, obviously but he looks like he's 70 (probably because he'll be 70 in May).  I'm still watching, but it needs to get better in a hurry.

Colm Meaney would have been a lot better.  A lot.

And I agree, Ray Carling only works if he's an asshole.  Michael Imperioli only acts that way half the time.

And Gretchen Mol's not getting it done as Annie.  I miss Liz White.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2008, 10:24:16 AM »
Quote from: Andy on October 23, 2008, 09:31:38 AM
This was a show that didn't need an American remake and got a bad one.  Harvey Keitel is too fucking old to be the Gov.  He's in shape, obviously but he looks like he's 70 (probably because he'll be 70 in May).  I'm still watching, but it needs to get better in a hurry.

Colm Meaney would have been a lot better.  A lot.

And I agree, Ray Carling only works if he's an asshole.  Michael Imperioli only acts that way half the time.

And Gretchen Mol's not getting it done as Annie.  I miss Liz White.

I've found the most enjoyable parts of the show so far to be the scenes with his hot hippie neighbor.  That's not a good thing.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: October 23, 2008, 03:56:43 PM »
Incidentally, Heather Matarazzo, who played June on last week's episode (pretty sissy move that she didn't die, by the way) is one of the ugliest women I've ever seen.  I almost had to turn off my TV when she was making her "I'm crying" face.

Yikes.

Andre Dawson's Creek

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: October 23, 2008, 05:09:44 PM »
Quote from: Kerm on October 23, 2008, 03:56:43 PM
Incidentally, Heather Matarazzo, who played June on last week's episode (pretty sissy move that she didn't die, by the way) is one of the ugliest women I've ever seen.  I almost had to turn off my TV when she was making her "I'm crying" face.

Yikes.

See... there is a chance you and Andy can spin this podcast gig into a TV show.

PS.  I love that one of the link addresses is "dontlinkthis" and you completely disregarded it.

Kerm

• Resident Ward Lover
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: October 23, 2008, 05:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Andre Dawson's Creek on October 23, 2008, 05:09:44 PM
See... there is a chance you and Andy can spin this podcast gig into a TV show.

PS.  I love that one of the link addresses is "dontlinkthis" and you completely disregarded it.

What are those geeks going to do about it?

Wheezer

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2008, 09:38:39 PM »
Quote from: 5laky on October 14, 2008, 01:12:31 PM

You'll need to not do that on Wednesdays starting November 5--NBC has apparently arrived at the conclusion that maybe "Knight Rider" would be a better lead-in.  Having never seen any of these programs ("Law & Order" completing the triptych), I'm not sure whether the moniker "Crime Night" is meant to be droll.
"The brain growth deficit controls reality hence [G-d] rules the world.... These mathematical results by the way, are all experimentally confirmed to 2-decimal point accuracy by modern Psychometry data."--George Hammond, Gμν!!

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: October 26, 2008, 09:23:50 AM »
Quote from: 5laky on October 14, 2008, 01:12:31 PM

That makes 2 of us.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.