News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 95,148 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Acheived
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2012, 07:58:22 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 11, 2012, 11:54:24 PM
Quote from: Armchair_QB on November 11, 2012, 10:34:44 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 09, 2012, 10:49:40 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 09, 2012, 09:20:04 PM
Quote from: Wheezer on November 09, 2012, 08:05:33 PM
QuoteSo what they did, and it's brilliant even while cynical, is they hooked women to Obama through these Hollywood stars. These women were saying well 'George Clooney loves President Obama,' and a fair number of them I'm guessing said, 'so I love President Obama,' and the same thing with Sarah Jessica Parker. That to me, and this is obviously an overstatement, that to me is not what the Founding Fathers envisioned that when they were hoping for a well-informed electorate being advised of the issues and studying the issues, no, what we've devolved to is 'I love George Clooney, George Clooney loves President Obama, therefore I love President Obama.'

So...women were motivated to vote for Obama because of George Clooney and Sarah Jessica Parker?  More proof that I just don't understand women.

No. Women who already supported Obama were more motivated to donate to his campaign when offered a chance to win a dinner with them.

http://swampland.time.com/2012/11/07/inside-the-secret-world-of-quants-and-data-crunchers-who-helped-obama-win/

QuoteIn late spring, the backroom number crunchers who powered Barack Obama's campaign to victory noticed that George Clooney had an almost gravitational tug on West Coast females ages 40 to 49. The women were far and away the single demographic group most likely to hand over cash, for a chance to dine in Hollywood with Clooney — and Obama.

So as they did with all the other data collected, stored and analyzed in the two-year drive for re-election, Obama's top campaign aides decided to put this insight to use. They sought out an East Coast celebrity who had similar appeal among the same demographic, aiming to replicate the millions of dollars produced by the Clooney contest. "We were blessed with an overflowing menu of options, but we chose Sarah Jessica Parker," explains a senior campaign adviser. And so the next Dinner with Barack contest was born: a chance to eat at Parker's West Village brownstone.

For the general public, there was no way to know that the idea for the Parker contest had come from a data-mining discovery about some supporters: affection for contests, small dinners and celebrity. But from the beginning, campaign manager Jim Messina had promised a totally different, metric-driven kind of campaign in which politics was the goal but political instincts might not be the means. "We are going to measure every single thing in this campaign," he said after taking the job. He hired an analytics department five times as large as that of the 2008 operation, with an official "chief scientist" for the Chicago headquarters named Rayid Ghani, who in a previous life crunched huge data sets to, among other things, maximize the efficiency of supermarket sales promotions.

So they pimped out the president? Nice.

Seems more like "pimping out" George Clooney and Sarah Jessica Parker.

They used Sarah Jessica Parker to sway the dressage horse vote away from Romney.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2012, 02:13:15 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2012, 01:54:49 PM
It's good to remember there are still tons of people like this lady.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/gops-red-america-forced-to-rethink-its-image-of-country/2012/11/11/3bb15fb8-2ab0-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_story_2.html

Worried about the direction of the country, but not enough to give up scrapbooking?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
This whole Petraeus business just keeps throwing us fresh twists...

QuoteWASHINGTON—A federal agent who launched the investigation that ultimately led to the resignation of Central Intelligence Agency chief David Petraeus was barred from taking part in the case over the summer due to superiors' concerns that he had become personally involved in the case, according to officials familiar with the probe.

The FBI agent who started the case was a friend of Jill Kelley, the Tampa woman who received harassing, anonymous emails that led to the probe, according to officials. Ms. Kelley, a volunteer who organizes social events for military personnel in the Tampa area, complained in May about the emails to a friend who is an FBI agent. That agent referred it to a cyber crimes unit, which opened an investigation.

However, supervisors soon became concerned that the initial agent might have grown obsessed with the matter, and prohibited him from any role in the investigation, according to the officials.

The FBI officials found that he had sent shirtless pictures of himself to Ms. Kelley, according to the people familiar with the probe.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 12, 2012, 09:03:32 PM
This whole Petraeus business just keeps throwing us fresh twists...

QuoteWASHINGTON—A federal agent who launched the investigation that ultimately led to the resignation of Central Intelligence Agency chief David Petraeus was barred from taking part in the case over the summer due to superiors' concerns that he had become personally involved in the case, according to officials familiar with the probe.

The FBI agent who started the case was a friend of Jill Kelley, the Tampa woman who received harassing, anonymous emails that led to the probe, according to officials. Ms. Kelley, a volunteer who organizes social events for military personnel in the Tampa area, complained in May about the emails to a friend who is an FBI agent. That agent referred it to a cyber crimes unit, which opened an investigation.

However, supervisors soon became concerned that the initial agent might have grown obsessed with the matter, and prohibited him from any role in the investigation, according to the officials.

The FBI officials found that he had sent shirtless pictures of himself to Ms. Kelley, according to the people familiar with the probe.

They make movies about stuff like this.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2012, 10:37:39 PM »
The best part of the Petraeus scandal is that this is arguably the least ethically horrible thing a CIA director has ever done.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2012, 11:00:19 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 12, 2012, 10:37:39 PM
The best part of the Petraeus scandal is that this is arguably the least ethically horrible thing a CIA director has ever done.

Yeah, but do we really want a CIA director who can't even keep an affair secret?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 12, 2012, 11:00:19 PM
Quote from: Bort on November 12, 2012, 10:37:39 PM

Yeah, but do we really want a CIA director who can't even keep an affair secret?

You'd think so, but given how historically bad they are at assassinating Castro and installing stable Central American dictators, simple competence isn't necessarily a requirement.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #83 on: November 13, 2012, 09:32:30 AM »
Can't find the "Arizona" thread to bump, but this one obviously applies.

http://news.yahoo.com/arizona-woman-runs-down-husband-car-not-voting-045426220.html
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #86 on: November 13, 2012, 11:56:33 AM »
By the way, do you think we could get the title of this thread changed to the correct spelling of "achieved"?

It just bugs me, that's all.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #87 on: November 13, 2012, 11:59:33 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on November 13, 2012, 11:56:33 AM
By the way, do you think we could get the title of this thread changed to the correct spelling of "achieved"?

It just bugs me, that's all.

"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #88 on: November 13, 2012, 12:10:25 PM »
I'm guessing this guy has some serious butthurt.

"My 15-year-old son, however, he was all about it."

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #89 on: November 13, 2012, 12:17:34 PM »
Quote from: BH on November 13, 2012, 12:10:25 PM
I'm guessing this guy has some serious butthurt.

"My 15-year-old son, however, he was all about it."

QuoteFortunately, he cites his day job as a professional wrestler, so fighting off such opponents is not likely to be difficult.

IRONICALLY this is a guy who should benefit hugely from Obamacare.