News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 95,150 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2013, 10:38:21 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 13, 2013, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 13, 2013, 09:16:42 AM
Quote from: BH on June 13, 2013, 09:01:35 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on June 13, 2013, 07:30:29 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 12, 2013, 08:02:55 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 12, 2013, 05:24:55 PM
This is a mostly apolitical article about how awesome Costco is.  I enjoyed it.  I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on it.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-06/costco-ceo-craig-jelinek-leads-the-cheapest-happiest-company-in-the-world#p1

Costco sucks.

You're like a compass that constantly points to "W."

Any time I read a this company is amazing and cares so much article I get more and more skeptical. This makes Costco seem to good to be true. There has to be a catch, right? They squeeze these companies on prices?

Costco really is that good, especially in terms of it being an ideal workplace. Because of pay, benefits and job security, there are some Costcos that only have certain days of the year where they accept applications and conduct interviews, because people who work in other big-boxes want to get in there so badly - along with there being little to no employee attrition.

Along with making 100% profit on memberships, they buy in huge bulk, which keeps prices down, as well as having a lot of products under the Kirkland brand. Also, their model is built on low markup/high quantity - sort of like how Yeti knows there's only a 10-cent-a-board markup on drywall at Home Depot. And keeping overhead down, especially in terms of executive compensation, also helps them provide value to stockholders.

Oh, and the guy in his 50s making over $50K is probably a store manager. But as I recall, if you can get a job there you generally start out around $30K - really fucking good for retail.

Our local Costco has a contract with a union.

That's surprising.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 13, 2013, 10:38:21 AM
Quote from: CBStew on June 13, 2013, 09:23:54 AM
Quote from: Fork on June 13, 2013, 09:16:42 AM
Quote from: BH on June 13, 2013, 09:01:35 AM
This is a mostly apolitical article about how awesome Costco is.  I enjoyed it.  I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on it.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-06-06/costco-ceo-craig-jelinek-leads-the-cheapest-happiest-company-in-the-world#p1

Costco sucks.

Any time I read a this company is amazing and cares so much article I get more and more skeptical. This makes Costco seem to good to be true. There has to be a catch, right? They squeeze these companies on prices?

Costco really is that good, especially in terms of it being an ideal workplace. Because of pay, benefits and job security, there are some Costcos that only have certain days of the year where they accept applications and conduct interviews, because people who work in other big-boxes want to get in there so badly - along with there being little to no employee attrition.

Along with making 100% profit on memberships, they buy in huge bulk, which keeps prices down, as well as having a lot of products under the Kirkland brand. Also, their model is built on low markup/high quantity - sort of like how Yeti knows there's only a 10-cent-a-board markup on drywall at Home Depot. And keeping overhead down, especially in terms of executive compensation, also helps them provide value to stockholders.

Oh, and the guy in his 50s making over $50K is probably a store manager. But as I recall, if you can get a job there you generally start out around $30K - really fucking good for retail.

Our local Costco has a contract with a union.

That's surprising.

15% of their total workforce is organized, which is high for the retail sector.  However, I too am shocked that the number isn't lower.

Given that Costco seems like a great employer, I'd figure that number to be around 5%.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2013, 01:53:55 PM »
This is a mostly apolitical article about how awesome Costco is.  I enjoyed it.  I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on it.

Costco sucks.

I'm guessing you missed it.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: June 20, 2013, 09:49:05 AM »
Karen Lewis, who recently said that white people should not take an interest in education reform unless it involves parroting the CTU platform, GETS IT.

QuoteLewis, who started her speech with "I love baseball" and explained how a desire to become the first female major league pitcher taught her discipline and perseverance, ended on an analogy with the Cubs, who, despite a terrible record, continue to draw crowds.

"When the Cubs lose a game, they don't call for Wrigley Field to close down. They don't want the entire team dismantled. Despite empty seats, the stadium isn't accused of being underutilized," Lewis said. "Year after year, the fans continue to show up. We keep cheering for our Cubbies. We know they are winners. . ."Do the same for our children."

1) Tear the fucking thing down if it's costing them games.
2) Rebuild the fucking team of goddamn gutless fucking assholes that Hendry built.
3) Not being underutilized? Hell yeah it is. Fill those fucking empty seats with ads. Put a giant fucking jumbotron that makes Times Square look like a nightlight. Let's jam more concerts, football games, college baseball games, hockey games, open ice skates, tours, movies, women's lacrosse games, women's field hockey games, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, photo shoots, funerals, corporate outings in there. Fuck yes, people think it's underutilized.
4) We know they're winners? No, it's the opposite. We know they're losers.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: June 20, 2013, 10:40:20 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 20, 2013, 09:49:05 AM
Karen Lewis, who recently said that white people should not take an interest in education reform unless it involves parroting the CTU platform, GETS IT.

QuoteLewis, who started her speech with "I love baseball" and explained how a desire to become the first female major league pitcher taught her discipline and perseverance, ended on an analogy with the Cubs, who, despite a terrible record, continue to draw crowds.

"When the Cubs lose a game, they don't call for Wrigley Field to close down. They don't want the entire team dismantled. Despite empty seats, the stadium isn't accused of being underutilized," Lewis said. "Year after year, the fans continue to show up. We keep cheering for our Cubbies. We know they are winners. . ."Do the same for our children."

2) Rebuild the fucking team of goddamn gutless fucking assholes that Hendry built.
3) Not being underutilized? Hell yeah it is. Fill those fucking empty seats with ads. Put a giant fucking jumbotron that makes Times Square look like a nightlight. Let's jam more concerts, football games, college baseball games, hockey games, open ice skates, tours, movies, women's lacrosse games, women's field hockey games, weddings, bar/bat mitzvahs, photo shoots, funerals, corporate outings in there. Fuck yes, people think it's underutilized.

I think she's saying we need beer vendors in public schools.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
Quote from: Fork on June 20, 2013, 10:40:20 AM

I think she's saying we need beer vendors in public schools.

It's the only way to curb teen drinking.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: June 20, 2013, 11:23:24 AM »

TJ's just an anti-Semite who is trying to ruin Karen's Bat Mitzvah.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: June 20, 2013, 02:30:43 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on June 20, 2013, 11:23:24 AM

By suggesting she book Wrigley Field for the bat mitzvah? Was Al Yellon's attendance included? Why, yes, that would ruin my bat mitzvah too.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: June 20, 2013, 03:36:51 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on June 20, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

By suggesting she book Wrigley Field for the bat mitzvah? Was Al Yellon's attendance included? Why, yes, that would ruin my bat mitzvah too.

OK.  Who is going to tell him?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: June 20, 2013, 04:19:15 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on June 20, 2013, 03:36:51 PM
Quote from: Brownie on June 20, 2013, 02:30:43 PM

OK.  Who is going to tell him?

I think he knows.  It was part of the joke. 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: June 20, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »

Well, you've gotta give her this: She'd be quite an imposing presence on the mound.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: June 25, 2013, 03:01:38 PM »
Here's a sane reaction to an otherwise fine ruling by the Supreme Court on the Voting Rights Act.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/25/voting-rights-act-ruling-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

PS - The Court intends to publish it's last three decisions tomorrow, the two gay marriage cases and one involving the Hobbs Act.

Stay tuned.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: June 25, 2013, 03:43:54 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 25, 2013, 03:01:38 PM
Here's a sane reaction to an otherwise fine ruling by the Supreme Court on the Voting Rights Act.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/06/25/voting-rights-act-ruling-heres-what-you-need-to-know/

PS - The Court intends to publish it's last three decisions tomorrow, the two gay marriage cases and one involving the Hobbs Act.

Stay tuned.

Of course the case that Section 5 had no bearing on Voter ID laws has no bearing on Mississippi's AG announcing they were moving forward with Voter ID in light of this ruling.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: June 25, 2013, 04:57:28 PM »
Quote from: Fork on June 25, 2013, 03:43:54 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 25, 2013, 03:01:38 PM

Stay tuned.

Of course the case that Section 5 had no bearing on Voter ID laws has no bearing on Mississippi's AG announcing they were moving forward with Voter ID in light of this ruling.

If you read the decision, the only portion of the law that was struck was Section 4(b), which is the formula for determining which states and political subdivisions are automatically covered.  The decision notes that this section is what runs afoul of constitutional principles as it does not proscribe a uniform standard for which states are subject to preclearance requirements.

Congress could, if it wants to, mandate a standard that covers all states and political subdivisions to preclearance requirements.  Or we can continue to cling to the mistaken belief that America's troubling problem with racism is only limited to the South (and small counties in California, Michigan, and South Dakota).

Incidentally, the Court sings a paean to equal protection and equal application of the federal law to the states.  There might be some foreshadowing here, especially in light of tomorrow's anticipated decisions.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: June 25, 2013, 05:00:46 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 25, 2013, 04:57:28 PM
There might be some foreshadowing here, especially in light of tomorrow's anticipated decisions.

Or there might not be. We'll have to see how it all plays out.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.