News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 95,156 )

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved
« Reply #525 on: June 25, 2013, 05:12:12 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 25, 2013, 05:00:46 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 25, 2013, 04:57:28 PM
There might be some foreshadowing here, especially in light of tomorrow's anticipated decisions.

Or there might not be. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

The Court has three remaining merits cases for the October 2012 term left.

They are:

Hollingsworth v. Perry
Quote"(1) Whether the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment prohibits the State of California from defining marriage as the union of a man and a woman; and (2) whether petitioners have standing under Article III, § 2 of the Constitution in this case."

United States v. Windsor
Quote"(1) Whether Section 3 of the Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) violates the Fifth Amendment's guarantee of equal protection of the laws as applied to persons of the same sex who are legally married under the laws of their State; (2) whether the Executive Branch's agreement with the court below that DOMA is unconstitutional deprives this Court of jurisdiction to decide this case; and (3) whether the Bipartisan Legal Advisory Group of the United States House of Representatives has Article III standing in this case."

Sekhar v. United States
Quote"Whether the "recommendation" of an attorney, who is a salaried employee of a governmental agency, in a single instance, is intangible property that can be the subject of an extortion attempt under 18 U.S.C. § 1951 (a)(the Hobbs Act) and 18 U.S.C. § 875(d)."

YOU MAKE THE CALL!!!

My predictions: Hollingsworth - Punt due to standing.  Windsor - DOMA overturned.  Sekhar - Sekhar goes to jail.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: June 25, 2013, 05:41:00 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 25, 2013, 05:00:46 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 25, 2013, 04:57:28 PM
There might be some foreshadowing here, especially in light of tomorrow's anticipated decisions.

Or there might not be. We'll have to see how it all plays out.

We've seen it all too many times.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: June 26, 2013, 01:40:41 PM »
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: June 26, 2013, 03:15:56 PM »
If you ever want to hear two brilliant legal minds argue the pros and cons of judicial activism, read Scalia on the Voting Rights Act vs. Scalia on Prop 8.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: July 08, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
Logical next step: pass tort reform so that parents can't sue the school district when Wyatt Earp, Math Teacher accidentally shoots their kid's balls off. That should address the concerns of the insurance companies.

QuoteThe EMC Insurance Cos. insures 85 percent to 90 percent of all Kansas school districts and has refused to renew coverage for schools that permit teachers and custodians to carry concealed firearms on their campuses under the new law, which took effect July 1. It's not a political decision, but a financial one based on the riskier climate it estimates would be created, the insurer said.

"We've been writing school business for almost 40 years, and one of the underwriting guidelines we follow for schools is that any on-site armed security should be provided by uniformed, qualified law enforcement officers," said Mick Lovell, EMC's vice president for business development. "Our guidelines have not recently changed."

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »
Florida, the State that gave us Marco Rubio and hanging chads, has now gifted us with a law called "stand your ground", which allows folks to arm themselves, provoke a fight, and shoot their victims dead. What would have happened if Travon Martin had a gun and was allowed to stand his ground?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on July 14, 2013, 12:15:32 PM
Florida, the State that gave us Marco Rubio and hanging chads, has now gifted us with a law called "stand your ground", which allows folks to arm themselves, provoke a fight, and shoot their victims dead. What would have happened if Travon Martin had a gun and was allowed to stand his ground?

Isn't it absurd that Florida law permits Zimmerman to get a trial by jury (and even the right to counsel to boot), rather than being judged by the mob?  I mean, is THAT justice?

Here's the best summary that I've read so far: http://www.decodedscience.com/not-guilty-did-the-zimmerman-jury-make-the-right-decision/32621

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2013, 06:20:05 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on July 14, 2013, 06:02:48 PM

Isn't it absurd that Florida law permits Zimmerman to get a trial by jury (and even the right to counsel to boot), rather than being judged by the mob?  I mean, is THAT justice?

Here's the best summary that I've read so far: http://www.decodedscience.com/not-guilty-did-the-zimmerman-jury-make-the-right-decision/32621

Ugh. Lawyers.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: July 15, 2013, 09:09:49 AM »

Isn't it absurd that Florida law permits Zimmerman to get a trial by jury (and even the right to counsel to boot), rather than being judged by the mob? I mean, is THAT justice?

That was a solid response to Stew's contention that Zimmerman should not have received a trial by jury and should have been judged by the mob.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:45 AM »

The defense team did not invoke "stand your ground".
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: July 15, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on July 15, 2013, 09:09:49 AM

Isn't it absurd that Florida law permits Zimmerman to get a trial by jury (and even the right to counsel to boot), rather than being judged by the mob? I mean, is THAT justice?

That was a solid response to Stew's contention that Zimmerman should not have received a trial by jury and should have been judged by the mob.

Combating absurdity with absurdity.  WHO DOES DAT?!?!

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: July 15, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
Quote from: flannj on July 15, 2013, 09:15:45 AM

If they had, then the prosecution could have argued that Travon Martin stood his.
TIME TO POST!

Gilgamesh

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: July 15, 2013, 10:12:46 AM »
Quote from: Fork on July 15, 2013, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: flannj on July 15, 2013, 09:15:45 AM

If they had, then the prosecution could have argued that Travon Martin stood his.

And much like the rest of their actual case, they'd have little evidence to support that hypothetical contention.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: July 15, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
Trayvon*
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.