News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved  ( 95,161 )

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Morning in America: Butthurt Achieved
« Reply #645 on: November 03, 2013, 10:43:04 PM »
This is apparently at least a year old. Which makes me sad that I don't recall seeing it until today...

Thus Esau despised his birthright.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #646 on: November 05, 2013, 04:21:37 PM »
/TheIllinoisWeOnceKnewAndLoved

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: November 05, 2013, 07:57:24 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on November 05, 2013, 04:21:37 PM
/TheIllinoisWeOnceKnewAndLoved

Something something chosen rebellious lifestyle. Something something "studies". Something something anti-gay meds. Something something just like a retard.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: November 12, 2013, 09:18:46 AM »
Is there a bigger asshole around than Richard Cohen?

QuoteToday's GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled — about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio's wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts — but not all — of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn't look like their country at all.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: November 12, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 12, 2013, 09:18:46 AM

QuoteToday's GOP is not racist, as Harry Belafonte alleged about the tea party, but it is deeply troubled — about the expansion of government, about immigration, about secularism, about the mainstreaming of what used to be the avant-garde. People with conventional views must repress a gag reflex when considering the mayor-elect of New York — a white man married to a black woman and with two biracial children. (Should I mention that Bill de Blasio's wife, Chirlane McCray, used to be a lesbian?) This family represents the cultural changes that have enveloped parts — but not all — of America. To cultural conservatives, this doesn't look like their country at all.

But at least he's not racist.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: November 12, 2013, 10:15:30 AM »

You can't "own" a country, man. 

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: November 12, 2013, 11:11:41 AM »

Richard Cohen sure loves him a parenthetical zinger and thoughtful aside...

QuoteAnd the more literate of them — that's not you, Palin — must have chortled over post-election newspaper columns extolling Christie as precisely the sort of candidate the GOP ought to run in 2016.

QuoteChristie can passably argue that he is that, but no one is going to call him a Christian conservative. After all, he opposed same-sex marriage in New Jersey, but he acquiesced. Cruz would not to do that. He'd still be talking — and Steve would still be single.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/postpartisan/2009/09/let_polanski_go_--_but_first_l.html

QuotePolanski is a great film director -- although the much-acclaimed "Chinatown" has a muddled script -- but his true talent is to make fools of his friends.

QuoteHe seduced -- if that can possibly be the word -- the 13-year-old Samantha Geimer with all the power and authority of a 44-year-old movie director who could make her famous.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/03/AR2006050302202.html

QuoteFirst, let me state my credentials: I am a funny guy. This is well known in certain circles, which is why, even back in elementary school, I was sometimes asked by the teacher to "say something funny" -- as if the deed could be done on demand.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/08/AR2006050801323.html

QuoteKapow! Within a day, I got more than 2,000 e-mails. A day later, I got 1,000 more. By the fourth day, the number had reached 3,499 -- a figure that does not include the usual offers of nubile Russian women or loot from African dictators.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-miley-cyrus-steubenville-and-culture-run-amok/2013/09/02/1cecafa6-11af-11e3-bdf6-e4fc677d94a1_story.html

QuoteSo now back to Miley Cyrus and her twerking. I run the risk of old-fogeyness for suggesting the girl's a tasteless twit — especially that bit with the foam finger. (Look it up, if you must.)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/richard-cohen-racism-vs-reality/2013/07/15/4f419eb6-ed7a-11e2-a1f9-ea873b7e0424_story.html

QuoteCrime where it intersects with race is given the silent treatment. Everything else is discussed — and if it isn't, there's a Dr. Phil or an Oprah saying that it should be.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/27/AR2009072701904.html

QuoteI checked my records and diaries and discovered that I had been offered many opportunities to exclusively interview the president, but only after he had been exclusively interviewed by all the other columnists and bloggers and, of course, the anchors of all the networks, including cable -- basic as well as premium.

QuoteFor a person of my age, this was a sea change, or maybe a watershed or even a tsunami -- something big and aquatic.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/blog/2006/02/15/BL2006021501989.html

QuoteI confess to be one of those people who hate math. I can do my basic arithmetic all right (although not percentages) but I flunked algebra (once), barely passed it the second time -- the only proof I've ever seen of divine intervention -- somehow passed geometry and resolved, with a grateful exhale of breath, that I would never go near math again.

QuoteMost of math can now be done by a computer or a calculator. On the other hand, no computer can write a column or even a thank-you note -- or reason even a little bit.

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2008-07-22/opinions/36844855_1_tattoos-wino-forever-disposable-income

QuoteSeize the day -- laser tomorrow.

It's like he vaguely remembers Jack Benny taking a beat once and decided that punchlines and witty bon mots live between the em dashes.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: November 12, 2013, 11:30:31 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 12, 2013, 11:11:41 AM
QuoteFirst, let me state my credentials: I am a funny guy. This is well known in certain circles, which is why, even back in elementary school, I was sometimes asked by the teacher to "say something funny" -- as if the deed could be done on demand.

HOW MANY TIMES DOES RICHARD COHEN HAVE TO TELL YOU, RICHARD COHEN DOES NOT TAKE REQUESTS.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: November 12, 2013, 01:17:45 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 12, 2013, 10:15:30 AM

I was going to come on here and comment on this, but I'm glad to see RV has already done so.

I don't know how one goes from this rather unsupported premise to this completely ass-backward and insulting conclusion.  Is "people with conventional views" supposed to mean people who are concerned about the very things that he divined or is he using some other definition?

Aside from its offensiveness, it doesn't even make fucking sense.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 12, 2013, 01:17:45 PM

I was going to come on here and comment on this, but I'm glad to see RV has already done so.

I don't know how one goes from this rather unsupported premise to this completely ass-backward and insulting conclusion.  Is "people with conventional views" supposed to mean people who are concerned about the very things that he divined or is he using some other definition?

Plus, people with these types of "conventional views" will also refer to anyone named Cohen as "east coast elite".
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: November 12, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
What was muddled about the script of "Chinatown"?  Or was that a racist comment?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: November 12, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 12, 2013, 01:31:40 PM
Quote from: Gilgamesh on November 12, 2013, 01:17:45 PM

Plus, people with these types of "conventional views" will also refer to anyone named Cohen as "east coast elite".

And here's Slate in time to completely miss the point *and* liberally toss around the racist label: http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2013/11/12/richard_cohen_s_racist_interracial_marriage_gag_column_analyzing_conventions.html
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: November 12, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 12, 2013, 04:11:13 PM
What was muddled about the script of "Chinatown"?  Or was that a racist comment?

Nothing. Cohen is dumber than a roomful of Farnsworths.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: November 18, 2013, 02:28:08 PM »
Caucasian-American icon George Zimmerman arrested again.

http://news.yahoo.com/george-zimmerman-arrested-florida-following-disturbance-call-191020842--abc-news-topstories.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

Hopefully a date with Gen Pop finally awaits.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

BBM

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #659 on: November 18, 2013, 04:09:30 PM »
Quote from: Bort on November 12, 2013, 10:47:16 PM
Quote from: CBStew on November 12, 2013, 04:11:13 PM

Nothing. Cohen is dumber than a roomful of Farnsworths.

WERNSTROM!