News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Cubs Offseason 2014: So, what did your team do this offseason? Isn't that cute.  ( 67,746 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on February 05, 2015, 10:52:20 AM
Quote from: SKO on February 05, 2015, 08:10:52 AM
So...James Shields anyone?

I just can't see it happening. If his price tag has dropped enough for the Cubs to be interested, presumably a ton of other teams are interested, too. Someone's going to offer more.

Dammit, Eli.

Still, a little encouraging to the "Cubs can't/won't spend crowd that the team was willing to commit almost a quarter of a billion dollars to two pitchers in one offseason, no?
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Rumors are that the Cubs offered 3 years with an option for a 4th while SD locked in year four. Basically, Theo held out for his price.

Instead, Theo will just get Price.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on February 09, 2015, 08:34:59 AM
Rumors are that the Cubs offered 3 years with an option for a 4th while SD locked in year four. Basically, Theo held out for his price.

*plays slide whistle*
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on February 09, 2015, 09:49:12 AM

I bet this all ends in the triumphant return of the Hot Diarrhea Geyser.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Rumors are that the Cubs offered 3 years with an option for a 4th while SD locked in year four. Basically, Theo held out for his price zimmerman.

Instead, Theo will just get Price Zimmerman.

Sorry.  Better?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: SKO on February 09, 2015, 10:55:05 AM

Bort would have to start another podcast.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Fork on February 09, 2015, 11:35:01 AM

I'm already playing fast and loose by not tagging this one as explicit. The Snorkcast would just be 2 hours a week of me swearing nonstop.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Bort on February 09, 2015, 12:18:59 PM

I'm already playing fast and loose by not tagging this one as explicit. The Snorkcast would just be 2 hours a week of me swearing nonstop.

I'd be happy to come on as a guest if only to give you a breather and swear constantly while you take sips of whatever you're drinking.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

He'd probably just abandon the podcast midway through the first episode

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Yeti on February 09, 2015, 12:55:00 PM

He'd probably just abandon the podcast midway through the first episode

That does sound like something I would do.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Chuck's awkward poem thing got me thinking and then yammering on Twitter to the point of confusing Slaky -- but anyway, which scenario sounds better?

• Cole Hamels for 2015-2019 (through his age 35 season) for $109 million, but you're trading Addison Russell to get him.
  • David Price for 2016-2023 (through age 38) for roughly $225 million, minus the draft pick it will cost to sign him.

Price is the superior pitcher by some margin, but he'll also be vastly more expensive and require being signed for several extra non-prime years. And trading for Hamels would also mean you're opening the window to compete a bit earlier since you'd have him now.

That sounds like I'd prefer a Hamels scenario, but I don't actually know.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: Eli on February 10, 2015, 08:44:38 AM
Chuck's awkward poem thing got me thinking and then yammering on Twitter to the point of confusing Slaky -- but anyway, which scenario sounds better?

• Cole Hamels for 2015-2019 (through his age 35 season) for $109 million, but you're trading Addison Russell to get him.
  • David Price for 2016-2023 (through age 38) for roughly $225 million, minus the draft pick it will cost to sign him.

Price is the superior pitcher by some margin, but he'll also be vastly more expensive and require being signed for several extra non-prime years. And trading for Hamels would also mean you're opening the window to compete a bit earlier since you'd have him now.

Does the deal have to be made before the season? 

I'd kind like to see how things play out a little before dealing a top prospect.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Quote from: PANK! on February 10, 2015, 08:48:55 AM
Quote from: Eli on February 10, 2015, 08:44:38 AM

Does the deal have to be made before the season? 

I'd kind like to see how things play out a little before dealing a top prospect.

For the sake of discussion, let's say yes. Then you get the value of a full season of Hamels in 2015.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
I'm not ready to trade for Hamels now. I'd like to see 3 months of Soler, Bryant, Baez and even MiLB Russell. I want to know the offense is what we expect before I'd commit to a trade of a top prospect for pitching.  If those 4 guys don't pan out, Hamels won't get you there.

That said, if the market for Hamels pops now (i.e. the Cards are going to get him in May), I go get him.

I wait if I can set the timetable.  If I can't, I made a deal.  I don't really think the need for Hamels in 2015 is as great as it will be in 2016.