News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,965 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #120 on: November 01, 2011, 02:49:24 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 01, 2011, 01:54:29 PM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 01:11:47 PM
And, no matter what Chuck says, the guy who does run the organization has of late given us plenty of reason to believe he has a clue about what he's doing with it.

That Crane is still here (albeit no longer a company director) is strong evidence that there's plenty of McCaskey in Ricketts.

Crane has no role in baseball operations. His fuckups will be relegated to tbe business side.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: November 01, 2011, 04:06:16 PM »
And, no matter what Chuck says, the guy who does run the organization has of late given us plenty of reason to believe he has a clue about what he's doing with it.

Yeah.  He hired the best guy out there and gave him a blank check to fulfill said guy's vision.  Mike McCaskey did that with Dave Wannstedt.

Just because you hire the best guy available doesn't mean you know what the fuck you are doing.

That Crane is still here (albeit no longer a company director) is strong evidence that there's plenty of McCaskey in Ricketts.

Intrepid Reader (He certainly has the time) Bob Pulford

Becuase the only way you can get rid of a meddlesome former member of a front office is fire them...

Also your Wanny anlogy would be better if he had won 2 Superbowls as a head coach before he took the Bears gig, but he didn't, so it isnt.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: November 01, 2011, 04:50:44 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on November 01, 2011, 04:06:16 PM

Yeah.  He hired the best guy out there and gave him a blank check to fulfill said guy's vision.  Mike McCaskey did that with Dave Wannstedt.

Just because you hire the best guy available doesn't mean you know what the fuck you are doing.

Becuase the only way you can get rid of a meddlesome former member of a front office is fire them...

Also your Wanny anlogy would be better if he had won 2 Superbowls as a head coach before he took the Bears gig, but he didn't, so it isnt.

Intrepid Reader: A former Winnetka Resident

Hi. Am I the analogy Chuck's looking for?

I suppose I came in with my Jed (Ed, rhymes with Jed) and Jason (Hendry).

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: November 01, 2011, 05:28:37 PM »
The Wannstedt analogy may honestly be Chuck's worst analogy of all time. There's a vast difference between "the coordinator perceived by most people to be the hottest head coaching prospect of the time but would still be in a brand new position" and a "guy who is being hired to do the exact job that he's done before which resulted in two championships for the last franchise he was in charge of."
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: November 01, 2011, 05:44:27 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on November 01, 2011, 04:50:44 PM
Quote from: thehawk on November 01, 2011, 04:06:16 PM

Intrepid Reader: A former Winnetka Resident

Hi. Am I the analogy Chuck's looking for?

I suppose I came in with my Jed (Ed, rhymes with Jed) and Jason (Hendry).

To me, this is the $64 question (more like the $164 million question).  The Trib brought in McPhail for mere window-dressing, as they were unwilling to spend the real dollars for talent that was necessary.  I kind of want to see the Ricketts actually write the checks for their own real payroll, but we are still likely a year or two away from that.

With that said, I would doubt Theo, given his age and leverage, would come to the Cubs without some assurance that he would be able to spend like he feels he needs to, but its one thing to promise it and another to actually write the check.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: November 01, 2011, 06:22:52 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 01, 2011, 05:28:37 PM
The Wannstedt analogy may honestly be Chuck's worst analogy of all time. There's a vast difference between "the coordinator perceived by most people to be the hottest head coaching prospect of the time but would still be in a brand new position" and a "guy who is being hired to do the exact job that he's done before which resulted in two championships for the last franchise he was in charge of."

So then, this is more like the time the Dolphins hired Bill Parcells.

EXCEPT TOTALLY FUCKING AWESOME.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: November 01, 2011, 06:41:39 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 01, 2011, 06:22:52 PM

Except Parcells never won a Super Bowl in the front office.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: November 01, 2011, 06:59:06 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 01, 2011, 06:41:39 PM

So this is totally like the time Rick Pitino took over the Celtics!

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: November 01, 2011, 07:13:10 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 01, 2011, 06:59:06 PM

Except Pitino never won anything in the NBA.

So, this is totally unprecedented in the history of SPORTS.

Except for the time that Texas Tech hired Bob Knight.
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: November 01, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 01, 2011, 07:13:10 PM
Quote from: CT III on November 01, 2011, 06:59:06 PM

Except Pitino never won anything in the NBA.

So, this is totally unprecedented in the history of SPORTS.

Except for the time that Texas Tech hired Bob Knight.

Well, if it's inevitable...

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: November 07, 2011, 08:35:03 AM »
Didn't see this posted, but Cubs hiring of Joe Bohringer as the new pro scouting director is another big win by teh cubs. Guys using computers and experience? What a novel concept. 

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: November 14, 2011, 10:09:07 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 07, 2011, 08:35:03 AM
Didn't see this posted, but Cubs hiring of Joe Bohringer as the new pro scouting director is another big win by teh cubs. Guys using computers and experience? What a novel concept. 

And...here's another totally awesome smart guy, new Assistant to the General Manager, Shiraz Rehman.

It's like a Matryoshka doll of baseball guys!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: November 14, 2011, 10:12:36 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on November 14, 2011, 10:09:07 AM

And...here's another totally awesome smart guy, new Assistant to the General Manager, Shiraz Rehman.

It's like a Matryoshka doll Daryle Ward pizza of baseball guys!

Hey... Anyone remember 2007 and 2008? Those years were kinda fun.

For the most part.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: November 14, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 14, 2011, 10:12:36 AM

It's like a Matryoshka doll Daryle Ward pizza of baseball guys!

Hey... Anyone remember 2007 and 2008? Those years were kinda fun.

For the most part.

Remember having useful bench players? That didn't suck.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: November 14, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on November 14, 2011, 10:12:36 AM

It's like a Matryoshka doll Daryle Ward Jimmy Anderson pizza  of baseball guys!

Hey... Anyone remember 20074 and 20085? Those years were kinda fun.

For the most part.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs