News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,958 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:46 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 11, 2012, 09:08:36 AM
Holy crap is this article dumb.

"But if you blithely toss away a pitcher and man who has meant so much to this franchise and Cubs fans over the last 14 years, thinking you don't "need" him, some of those people might say, "Well, I'm not buying tickets this year."

Kerry Wood has value to the Cubs in many different ways. He's committed to the city and has made it his permanent home. Theo & Jed, can't you squeeze a little extra money out of your budget and get him signed before Friday's opening of the Cubs Convention? Having Wood introduced at the opening ceremony would create some enthusiasm and buzz that you guys very much need. (And incidentally, no matter what you two have been told about the convention, you won't really get it until you're there. Not a single newcomer to the team has ever really understood it until they see it.)

You might not think you need Kerry Wood. But for all the reasons above, yes, you do need him. It's worth a few extra dollars, Theo & Jed. Get it done this week.

Sincerely,
Al"

From what I've read, teams are interested in KW, but they aren't quite eager to give him the dough he wants, either. The Cubs' offer, money-wise, is probably in line with what the Phillies are offering. I'm just wondering if there's a bit more going on. Kerry Wood is 34, has an arm that could quit at any time, and sees that the team has been dismantled to the point where contention the next couple of years will be just about impossible. He's had a happy reunion with the Cubs, but now teams that have an actual use for him beyond mascot are calling. A chance to win a World Series before retiring to Chicago and doing something for the Cubs organization vs. having to watch all 162 games this year, pitch a lot of meaningless 7th and 8th innings and babysit a lot of kids?

I'd love Kerry Wood to stay with the Cubs. He's my favorite player on the team. I like to root for more than laundry. But the Cubs not re-signing him is not indicative of Ted and Jed's  callousness as much as it is reality.

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2012, 10:33:07 AM »
Kerry is high on my list as well, but Jed and Theo would be doing him a favor to allow him to pass up fair offer from the Cubs for the chance to win a ring this year with another team (which, frankly, isn't going to happen if he's playing in Wrigley), and then come back to Cubs in some capacity (even if only an "ambassador").  Frankly, it wouldn't be bad for the organization to make a clean break for all those crutches the BCB crowd relies on as well, if only for a year or two.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2012, 10:39:23 AM »
This is a stupid question, but why do the cubs needs to keep bringing back popular players who were a large part of the frustrations cubs fans have felt for 100 years? I'd be ok if we never brought these guys back. If the cubs want to change the culture, they might be better served ignoring all the past failures. If we start winning, fine, bring these guys back to help celebrate.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2012, 10:43:10 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 11, 2012, 10:39:23 AM
This is a stupid question, but why do the cubs needs to keep bringing back popular players who were a large part of the frustrations cubs fans have felt for 100 years? I'd be ok if we never brought these guys back. If the cubs want to change the culture, they might be better served ignoring all the past failures. If we start winning, fine, bring these guys back to help celebrate.

Because they, unlike you, GET IT.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2012, 10:53:36 AM »
I would love to find out that Theo printed Al's letter out and hung it up in the bathroom so they all can laugh at it whenever they see it.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 11, 2012, 10:53:36 AM
I would love to find out that Theo printed Al's letter out and hung it up in the bathroom so they all can laugh at it whenever they see it.

Are Theo's people only allowed to laugh in the bathroom?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 11, 2012, 10:56:33 AM

The Jews?  Yes.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: January 11, 2012, 11:13:07 AM »

That's the only place Al's letter deserves, unless they stick it to the refrigerator.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: January 11, 2012, 11:15:14 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 11, 2012, 11:13:07 AM

That's the only place Al's letter deserves, unless they stick it to the refrigerator.

They won't have room for a full-sized fridge until the Triangle Building is finished.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: January 11, 2012, 12:12:37 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 11, 2012, 11:00:22 AM

The Jews?  Yes.

I won't believe that he is Jewish until I see him in a synagogue on Yom Kippur while the Cubs are playing a World Series game.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: January 11, 2012, 12:18:09 PM »
Quote from: CT III on January 11, 2012, 11:15:14 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 11, 2012, 11:13:07 AM

They won't have room for a full-sized fridge until the Triangle Building is finished.

GET IT DONE RAHM

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
Quote from: BH on January 10, 2012, 07:52:57 AM
No Paul Malholm excitement?

PALM O'HOLLUM!!!!!
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: January 11, 2012, 01:07:28 PM »
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: January 11, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on January 11, 2012, 01:07:28 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 11, 2012, 01:02:26 PM

PALM O'HOLLUM!!!!!

Poag Mahone?

We're getting dangerously close to Chuck dropping a Sam Malone in here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: January 11, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 11, 2012, 02:04:59 PM
Quote from: PANK! on January 11, 2012, 01:07:28 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on January 11, 2012, 01:02:26 PM

PALM O'HOLLUM!!!!!

Poag Mahone?

We're getting dangerously close to Chuck dropping a Sam Malone in here.

God, I hope that's not a euphemism.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck