News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,960 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #255 on: October 21, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 11:22:37 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 11:01:50 AM
Brian McCann: Baseball Cop to the ... Cubs?

I'm fine with this. Sign him, sign Tanaka, let Bryant and Baez start the season in the majors and ...

... profit?

Would you start Baez at SS, 2B, 3B?  And would you send him to Chicago in April regardless, or treat spring training as a tryout/gauge of readiness?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #256 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:47 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 11:38:02 AM
Would you start Baez at SS, 2B, 3B?  And would you send him to Chicago in April regardless, or treat spring training as a tryout/gauge of readiness?

2B, I guess. And sure, maybe use spring training as a rough barometer. Give him some time in AAA if need be. especially if he needs some game reps at a new position.

I do think Bryant is ready and AAA would mostly be a waste of time.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #257 on: October 21, 2013, 11:57:15 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 11:47:47 AM

2B, I guess. And sure, maybe use spring training as a rough barometer. Give him some time in AAA if need be. especially if he needs some game reps at a new position.

I think Baez is really close but I'd probably wait to see improvement in plate discipline over a longer sample before promoting him.  (That's without mentioning his struggles on defense, too, although he could probably handle 2nd.)  His OBP (.341 last year across two levels) may not translate too well to the majors, and it's hard to say if he'd make enough contact to hit enough homers and doubles to make up for it.  There's no rush to get him up here, as I don't think they'll contend in 2014 either.  It'll be hard to send him down if he has another strong spring training though.

I also think Bryant is just about ready, more so than Baez, but he finished in High-A last year and again, there's no hurry.  He should definitely get an invitation to spring training, and if he rakes and looks solid in the field, I would be fine with him starting on Opening Day.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #258 on: October 21, 2013, 02:00:28 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 11:57:15 AM

I think Baez is really close but I'd probably wait to see improvement in plate discipline over a longer sample before promoting him.  (That's without mentioning his struggles on defense, too, although he could probably handle 2nd.)  His OBP (.341 last year across two levels) may not translate too well to the majors, and it's hard to say if he'd make enough contact to hit enough homers and doubles to make up for it.  There's no rush to get him up here, as I don't think they'll contend in 2014 either.  It'll be hard to send him down if he has another strong spring training though.

I also think Bryant is just about ready, more so than Baez, but he finished in High-A last year and again, there's no hurry.  He should definitely get an invitation to spring training, and if he rakes and looks solid in the field, I would be fine with him starting on Opening Day.

Both will come up after Super II day, sometime in early to mid-May.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #259 on: October 21, 2013, 03:06:50 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 21, 2013, 02:00:28 PM

You're probably right. But I feel like that's a small-market move that a team like the Cubs shouldn't have to make. In the abstract, at least.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #260 on: October 21, 2013, 04:12:11 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 03:06:50 PM

You're probably right. But I feel like that's a small-market move that a team like the Cubs shouldn't have to make. In the abstract, at least.
That's not small market. That's cash flow management.  If knowing you are going to be an extra couple million ahead in 2016 gets you the flexibility to afford Scherzer now, you do it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2013, 05:17:34 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 21, 2013, 04:12:11 PM

That's not small market. That's cash flow management.  If knowing you are going to be an extra couple million ahead in 2016 gets you the flexibility to afford Scherzer now, you do it.

Well, that's a big leap in thinking.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2013, 08:25:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 21, 2013, 05:17:34 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on October 21, 2013, 04:12:11 PM

Well, that's a big leap in thinking.

Well, that's just what Chuck provides.  You need a big thinker to get both Cano and Scherzer on the payroll.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2013, 08:40:13 PM »

I can see the Cubs being willing to accept an extra year of arbitration if they want the immediate talent infusion and also if they think promoting him to the majors is the only way to figure out if he's a 3B, OF, or 1B.  Recent signings are putting a real damper on 1B value, especially in long-term deals.  (Pujols, yikes.)  If they like what they see, they can plug him into 3B or the OF and immediately try to get a team-friendly extension done, maybe trading a few of those years of arbitration for a reasonable guaranteed salary and generous signing bonus.  OTOH, if they think he's limited to 1B, they can either keep Rizzo and trade Bryant for immediate pitching help (Price?) or do the same but reverse the names.

Then again, May to September would also be a fine sample to figure out if he can play somewhere other than 1B.

I guess what I'm saying is let's just see how it all plays out.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2013, 09:46:01 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 08:40:13 PM

I can see the Cubs being willing to accept an extra year of arbitration if they want the immediate talent infusion and also if they think promoting him to the majors is the only way to figure out if he's a 3B, OF, or 1B.  Recent signings are putting a real damper on 1B value, especially in long-term deals.  (Pujols, yikes.)  If they like what they see, they can plug him into 3B or the OF and immediately try to get a team-friendly extension done, maybe trading a few of those years of arbitration for a reasonable guaranteed salary and generous signing bonus.  OTOH, if they think he's limited to 1B, they can either keep Rizzo and trade Bryant for immediate pitching help (Price?) or do the same but reverse the names.

Then again, May to September would also be a fine sample to figure out if he can play somewhere other than 1B.

If MIKE OLT! has his vision issues sorted out, that could take 3B out of the discussion.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2013, 10:25:26 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 23, 2013, 09:46:01 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 21, 2013, 08:40:13 PM

If MIKE OLT! has his vision issues sorted out, that could take 3B out of the discussion.

The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2013, 10:47:45 AM »
My Colt
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 23, 2013, 10:47:45 AM
My Colt

That should only be used in a sentence if you conclude it thusly: "...Python is the best damned thing ever."
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2013, 10:53:49 AM »
Mike Olt.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.