News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,954 )

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2013, 11:53:52 AM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on October 23, 2013, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: PANK! on October 23, 2013, 10:47:45 AM
My Colt

That should only be used in a sentence if you conclude it thusly: "...Python is the best damned thing ever."

Most beautiful but fragile thing ever.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: November 12, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »
Anyone else disturbed by this (paraphrased) quote? Have Theo & Jed been getting moving targets for spending for the near future?

QuoteA fan groused to Epstein about the Edwin Jackson signing, and Epstein took a middle road, noting that he didn't have the year the Cubs hoped he would, but that his underlying metrics indicated he wasn't all that bad. Epstein expects a good year from Jackson in 2014. Unfortunately, Epstein also said this, paraphrased: "We also got a little ahead of ourselves, and didn't fully understand our situation. If we had full knowledge of business timing and plan at that time, we might have been more patient." Ouch. He's saying that, had they known last year at this time just how far off the big revenues were and/or how tight things were going to be, they might have waited to spend the cash.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: November 12, 2013, 09:19:10 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 12, 2013, 09:08:18 AM
Anyone else disturbed by this (paraphrased) quote? Have Theo & Jed been getting moving targets for spending for the near future?

QuoteA fan groused to Epstein about the Edwin Jackson signing, and Epstein took a middle road, noting that he didn't have the year the Cubs hoped he would, but that his underlying metrics indicated he wasn't all that bad. Epstein expects a good year from Jackson in 2014. Unfortunately, Epstein also said this, paraphrased: "We also got a little ahead of ourselves, and didn't fully understand our situation. If we had full knowledge of business timing and plan at that time, we might have been more patient." Ouch. He's saying that, had they known last year at this time just how far off the big revenues were and/or how tight things were going to be, they might have waited to spend the cash.

I'm more disturbed that we have another 4 years and $41 million of Edwin fucking Jackson.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: November 12, 2013, 09:26:35 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 12, 2013, 09:19:10 AM

I'm more disturbed that we have another 4 years and $41 million of Edwin fucking Jackson.

After contracts like Soriano's, Edwin's seems rather pedestrian.

Besides that, I think he's going to have a nice season in 2014.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: November 12, 2013, 09:29:44 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 09:26:35 AM

After contracts like Soriano's, Edwin's seems rather pedestrian.

Besides that, I think he's going to have a nice season in 2014.

I don't have a big problem with Edwin's contract specifically. I don't like the fact that a year ago, Theo was told he'd have X, Y and Z to spend in 2013, 2014 and 2015 and this implies that Y and possibly Z have decreased significantly.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: November 12, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »

A) It's 3 years, $39mm ($13mm x 3 years).

B) I still read that quote as spin. "You fans would have a better team if Beth Murphy and the Roofies would go away."  But maybe it's Daddy Ricketts saying, "Nope. You told me they sell out. I'm not subsidizing this."

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: November 12, 2013, 09:54:58 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 12, 2013, 09:45:45 AM
I still read that quote as spin. "You fans would have a better team if Beth Murphy and the Roofies would go away."

Yes, Chuck.

Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 12, 2013, 09:45:45 AMBut maybe it's Daddy Ricketts saying, "Nope. You told me they sell out. I'm not subsidizing this."

No, Chuck.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: November 12, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »

I think we'll know more after this offseason and whether they're able to pay up for Choo or Tanaka. From what has been said, I'm not really counting on it, so 2014 will be another rough year. I think most people expect that at this point.

And if we're being realistic, a lack of veteran signings this offseason probably doesn't bode too well for 2015 either. They need several guys who can post 4-5 win seasons to make the jump into 90-win territory (they currently have zero guys like that, with Rizzo as the best possibility). As excited as we are about Baez, Bryant and the other young guys, they're probably not going to come straight up from the minors and dominate.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: November 12, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 09:58:12 AM

I think we'll know more after this offseason and whether they're able to pay up for Choo or Tanaka. From what has been said, I'm not really counting on it, so 2014 will be another rough year. I think most people expect that at this point.

And if we're being realistic, a lack of veteran signings this offseason probably doesn't bode too well for 2015 either. They need several guys who can post 4-5 win seasons to make the jump into 90-win territory (they currently have zero guys like that, with Rizzo as the best possibility). As excited as we are about Baez, Bryant and the other young guys, they're probably not going to come straight up from the minors and dominate.

I do like where their heads are at though. There simply aren't names on the market that you can pay and get those 5 wins, or what have you. They don't exist. The only guys hitting free agency now are old and expensive. Good pieces to wealthy clubs who need to patch up holes to contend. Not super helpful to teams that need to fix almost everything at the major league level.

It'd be great if they got Tanaka but somehow I'm just not picturing that happening.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: November 12, 2013, 10:31:00 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 10:02:22 AM

I do like where their heads are at though. There simply aren't names on the market that you can pay and get those 5 wins, or what have you. They don't exist. The only guys hitting free agency now are old and expensive. Good pieces to wealthy clubs who need to patch up holes to contend. Not super helpful to teams that need to fix almost everything at the major league level.

It'd be great if they got Tanaka but somehow I'm just not picturing that happening.

Nitpicky point, but Choo and Ellsbury were both above my somewhat arbitrary mark (5.2 and 5.8). Of course, they're both on the back end of their primes so that may not hold up going forward. But they'll probably be pretty good players for at least a few more years. I see the argument for not signing them, but I'd be happy if they did grab one simply because the team needs quality players at some point.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: November 12, 2013, 10:44:55 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 12, 2013, 10:31:00 AM

Nitpicky point, but Choo and Ellsbury were both above my somewhat arbitrary mark (5.2 and 5.8). Of course, they're both on the back end of their primes so that may not hold up going forward. But they'll probably be pretty good players for at least a few more years. I see the argument for not signing them, but I'd be happy if they did grab one simply because the team needs quality players at some point.

I'm a big advocate of signing Choo for a lot of reasons but the biggest one is his penchant for getting on base. Just having him at the top of the lineup would be a huge upgrade. Just keep him away from the all the soju joints on California.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: November 12, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 12, 2013, 10:44:55 AM
Just keep him away from the all the soju joints on California.

And lefties.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: November 12, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »

Rewinding the thread for a moment, RV's quote chopped off this gloss from Bleacher Nation's Brett:

QuoteThat paints a fairly dire picture, doesn't it? Probably more dire than is intended, and I guess we already know that the Wrigley problems have delayed those anticipated revenues by a year. Add it to the evidence pile that big spending this offseason is not likely, though.

I think that is exactly the point here.

Which is to say: No, RV.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: November 12, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »

I'm fine with a third shitty season so long as we're at least seeing one or two of the kids beyond the All-Star Break, and am okay with another struggling team in '15 if they're all up.  I have fond memories of 1987/1988.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: November 12, 2013, 11:46:09 AM »

I'd rather see them suck for another year at a low budget than make moves simply for the sake of making moves.

Baez will be up by midseason. Bryant might not ever get challenged until he's in Chicago. Once they're here, they might not set the National League on fire right from the jump, but they'll turn on enough pitchers' mistakes to make everyone optimistic.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16