News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,987 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
Quote from: Fork on November 28, 2013, 01:04:17 PM
There are still plenty of failure points that will prevent the Cubs from winning that are more critical than backup catcher.

Yes, but considering most of us on this messageboard spent the better part of two years blaming everything that went wrong on Paul Bako, I'm going to cut Stew some slack on that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2013, 04:08:49 PM »
Quote from: CT III on November 28, 2013, 07:28:39 PM
There are still plenty of failure points that will prevent the Cubs from winning that are more critical than backup catcher.

Yes, but considering most of us on this messageboard spent the better part of two years blaming everything that went wrong on Paul Bako, I'm going to cut Stew some slack on that.

I still blame Paul Bako for every bad thing that has ever happened.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #347 on: November 30, 2013, 10:58:55 PM »

My point was that of all the things that they could be doing, going after a backup catcher who is a definite downgrade over the previous backup catcher sends a signal that as bad as last year was, next year will be worse. 
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #348 on: December 01, 2013, 09:52:14 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on November 30, 2013, 10:58:55 PM

My point was that of all the things that they could be doing, going after a backup catcher who is a definite downgrade over the previous backup catcher sends a signal that as bad as last year was, next year will be worse. 

Kottaras is as good of a backup catcher option as one could reasonably expect. He gets on base, has a little power and isn't very good defensively, which is why he's a backup. There are like 10 all-around good catchers in the entire world but there need to be 60 of them employed at any given time, so I'm not sure what you expected from this move.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #349 on: December 01, 2013, 11:44:25 AM »
Quote from: Eli on December 01, 2013, 09:52:14 AM

Kottaras is as good of a backup catcher option as one could reasonably expect. He gets on base, has a little power and isn't very good defensively, which is why he's a backup. There are like 10 all-around good catchers in the entire world but there need to be 60 of them employed at any given time, so I'm not sure what you expected from this move.

I think he wanted them to sign Cano first and then take care of the backup catcher position.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #350 on: December 01, 2013, 01:18:35 PM »

While I fully understand your impatience there are so many holes on the club you could make a case for being terrible. Second base? How about that. Let's start there. We don't bitch about it enough.

Bonk

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #351 on: December 01, 2013, 06:51:14 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on December 01, 2013, 01:18:35 PM

While I fully understand your impatience there are so many holes on the club you could make a case for being terrible. Second base? How about that. Let's start there. We don't bitch about it enough.

Don't forget rotation spots 1-5 and bullpen spots 1-6.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #352 on: December 02, 2013, 08:07:13 AM »

Overpaying Dioner Mantle for his fluke 2013 would be the mistake.  Hendry would've given him three years, $15M after an intense bidding war with himself.  If this were Welington Castillo being replaced with Kottaras, I'd be with you, but this is more like resigning yourself to the worst Christmas ever because Dad used cheaper bulbs on the wall side of the tree.  And we still have Steve Clevenger!  Oh wait.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #353 on: December 02, 2013, 08:28:02 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 02, 2013, 08:07:13 AM

Overpaying Dioner Mantle for his fluke 2013 would be the mistake.  Hendry would've given him three years, $15M after an intense bidding war with himself.  If this were Welington Castillo being replaced with Kottaras, I'd be with you, but this is more like resigning yourself to the worst Christmas ever because Dad used cheaper bulbs on the wall side of the tree.  And we still have Steve Clevenger!  Oh wait.

Yeah, Stew will get the Christmas tree analogy.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #354 on: December 02, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
DA CUBS NEED MORE SCRAPPY IRISH LIKE DAT DONNY MUPRHY AN DAT DONNY O'NAVARO.  DOSE GUYS KNOW HOW TO WIN MY FRENTS!
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #355 on: December 02, 2013, 08:53:19 AM »

Overpaying Dioner Mantle for his fluke 2013 would be the mistake.  Hendry would've given him three years, $15M after an intense bidding war with himself.  If this were Welington Castillo being replaced with Kottaras, I'd be with you, but this is more like resigning yourself to the worst Christmas ever because Dad used cheaper bulbs on the wall side of the tree.  And we still have Steve Clevenger!  Oh wait.

Plus, Navarro was probably looking for a starting gig, like the one he just got in Toronto.

ETA: 2 years, $8 million. Better there than here.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #356 on: December 02, 2013, 09:02:55 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 02, 2013, 08:28:02 AM

Yeah, Stew will get the Christmas tree analogy.

Cheaper bulbs?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #357 on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:07 AM »
Quote from: Fork on December 02, 2013, 08:53:19 AM

Overpaying Dioner Mantle for his fluke 2013 would be the mistake.  Hendry would've given him three years, $15M after an intense bidding war with himself.  If this were Welington Castillo being replaced with Kottaras, I'd be with you, but this is more like resigning yourself to the worst Christmas ever because Dad used cheaper bulbs on the wall side of the tree.  And we still have Steve Clevenger!  Oh wait.

Plus, Navarro was probably looking for a starting gig, like the one he just got in Toronto.

The Cubs should have signed Ray Emery.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #358 on: December 02, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 02, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

Or Josh McNown.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #359 on: December 02, 2013, 12:05:49 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on December 02, 2013, 10:42:24 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 02, 2013, 09:32:07 AM

Or Josh McNown.

I think the plan was to have Girardi player-manage.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck