News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,961 )

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #420 on: December 06, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 06, 2013, 12:31:14 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 06, 2013, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 06, 2013, 11:17:53 AM
I didn't realize that Felix was the only Mariner under contract after 2014. The contract is insane, of course, but it explains why they had so much to spend. Sounds like they're going to go hard after David Price now.

But WE were supposed to get David Price!

WE'll get nothing and like it.

Sorry, Stew.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #421 on: December 06, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »
Quote from: Bort on December 06, 2013, 12:43:46 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on December 06, 2013, 12:31:14 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on December 06, 2013, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 06, 2013, 11:17:53 AM
I didn't realize that Felix was the only Mariner under contract after 2014. The contract is insane, of course, but it explains why they had so much to spend. Sounds like they're going to go hard after David Price now.

But WE were supposed to get David Price!

WE'll get nothing and like it.

Sorry, Stew.

DARWIN BARNEY AND LUIS VALBUENA!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #422 on: December 06, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 06, 2013, 09:47:22 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 06, 2013, 09:40:33 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 06, 2013, 09:31:29 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on December 06, 2013, 09:19:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 06, 2013, 09:16:51 AM
Quote from: Slaky on December 06, 2013, 08:56:01 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 06, 2013, 08:48:02 AM
Quote from: R-V on December 05, 2013, 04:13:25 PM
Endorsed. I for one am glad Stew and Eli are here to keep us all from choking on Jepstink's breathtaking, veiny, throbbing members. I commend Stew for heeding Al Swearengen's advice and giving some back to the franchise that has beaten him down for longer than any of us:

Again, I should make it clear I think Jepstink is awesome. I think the longer-than-expected time to a good team is much more related to ownership than the front office. I really think Theo and Jed figured there would be more money to spend.

I guess I still don't really see who they would have spent the money on if they had it.

Good baseball players, ideally.

Fuck that. The best baseball players.

That's good stuff, guys. Good ideas all around.

Get good players! Who? The good ones.

Darvish and Cespedes are two that come to mind. Can't think of any Real Americans off the top of my head that would have been worth fat stacks.

I believe the Cubes were first runners up both of those guys.

Maybe they were outbid because they were handcuffed by ownership, maybe because Oopstink didn't value them quite as highly as Texas and Oakland. WHO COULD SAY FOR SURE?

I really wanted Darvish. Plenty of Oopstink butthurt for that one.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #423 on: January 17, 2014, 12:58:20 AM »

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #424 on: January 17, 2014, 09:24:48 AM »

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #426 on: January 17, 2014, 09:37:07 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 17, 2014, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 17, 2014, 12:58:20 AM
Sploosh.

Not a fucking chance.

Unsplooshed

Give me a break. Does anyone not named Crane Kenney think this is gonna happen?

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #427 on: January 17, 2014, 09:40:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 09:37:07 AM
Quote from: Yeti on January 17, 2014, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 17, 2014, 12:58:20 AM
Sploosh.

Not a fucking chance.

Unsplooshed

Give me a break. Does anyone not named Crane Kenney think this is gonna happen?

"The Cubs, meanwhile, have set aside a sizable chunk of their middle-of-the-pack payroll budget to stay in the Tanaka hunt, sacrificing possible acquisitions early in the offseason to have the wherewithal to make a serious run."

Hey Cub fans,  I've got a beautiful bridge you may want to buy.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #428 on: January 17, 2014, 09:49:22 AM »
I'll bite. They'll sign him AND trade for David Price, convert Shark into something, and have a rotation of Tanaka, Price, Wood, Jackson, and Jake Arrieta. Rizzo gives us a .310/.390./560 line and Castro brings his OPS up to .800, My Colt or Bryant get called up and become the balls at second, Darwin Barney gets released and signed by the St. Louis Cardinals who all catch his badatbaseballitis, Jorge Soler gets called up, and... goddam it, did I finish my bottle of Scotch already?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #429 on: January 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM »
So let's have a fun exercise in the vein of TJ's post.

What if the Cubs are (with roster as presently constructed) somehow hanging in the race in July. It's late July and let's say the Cubs inexplicably hold a 3-4 game lead in the division. Maybe the Cards have some crippling injuries. Maybe the Pirates are back to being the Pirates. But let's just say Cub pitching has far exceeded expectations and while they still can't hit for shit, they're just not giving up enough runs to lose.

What do you think happens?

Again it's a slim lead nearing the trade deadline and in this fake future I've created everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Cubs don't have the players to win the division. Sell? Buy? Stand pat?

I think it'd be really interesting to see what the front office would do.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #430 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:20 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM

What if the Cubs are (with roster as presently constructed) somehow hanging in the race in July. It's late July and let's say the Cubs inexplicably hold a 3-4 game lead in the division. Maybe the Cards have some crippling injuries. Maybe the Pirates are back to being the Pirates. But let's just say Cub pitching has far exceeded expectations and while they still can't hit for shit, they're just not giving up enough runs to lose.

Again it's a slim lead nearing the trade deadline and in this fake future I've created everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Cubs don't have the players to win the division. Sell? Buy? Stand pat?

They'd probably do something for sure
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #431 on: January 17, 2014, 12:12:57 PM »

I think I want them to stand pat. I'm no genius, but I feel like if they're that close with the current roster (they might have had to call someone up to be in that position, though), then 2015 should be fantastic,

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #432 on: January 17, 2014, 12:13:50 PM »

Stand pat.  I don't see them trading a single valuable piece of the future to back a team of Ruggiano, Schierholtz, Barney, et al.

Quote from: Eli
But every chance to win is sacred though, right Epstein?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #433 on: January 17, 2014, 12:21:26 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 17, 2014, 12:13:50 PM

Stand pat.  I don't see them trading a single valuable piece of the future to back a team of Ruggiano, Schierholtz, Barney, et al.

^^^

At this point, really anyone on the roster is expendable save for Castro, Rizzo, and maybe Snorknado. The rest are just keeping seats warm while Jepstink and CUBBISNATION waits for the farm to bear fruit. But, they wouldn't trade key parts of the plan they've been working on now for 3 seasons unless whoever they were acquiring could help them long term -- I mean, I guess if someone offered the equivalent of the Aramis Ramirez / Kenny Lofton deal, then sure, take it since Aramis was young and controllable and a beast. But selling? If you think shit's bad now, imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if Jepstink held a fire sale with a 3-4 game lead in late summer.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #434 on: January 17, 2014, 12:24:41 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on January 17, 2014, 09:49:22 AM
I'll bite. They'll sign him AND trade for David Price, convert Shark into something, and have a rotation of Tanaka, Price, Wood, Jackson, and Jake Arrieta. Rizzo gives us a .310/.390./560 line and Castro brings his OPS up to .800, My Colt or Bryant get called up and become the balls at second, Darwin Barney gets released and signed by the St. Louis Cardinals who all catch his badatbaseballitis, Jorge Soler gets called up, and... goddam it, did I finish my bottle of Scotch already?

I think you did because you said Kris Bryant was going to play 2nd base.