News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 113,033 )

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #435 on: January 17, 2014, 12:26:59 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 17, 2014, 12:24:41 PM
Quote from: Brownie on January 17, 2014, 09:49:22 AM
I'll bite. They'll sign him AND trade for David Price, convert Shark into something, and have a rotation of Tanaka, Price, Wood, Jackson, and Jake Arrieta. Rizzo gives us a .310/.390./560 line and Castro brings his OPS up to .800, My Colt or Bryant get called up and become the balls at second, Darwin Barney gets released and signed by the St. Louis Cardinals who all catch his badatbaseballitis, Jorge Soler gets called up, and... goddam it, did I finish my bottle of Scotch already?

I think you did because you said Kris Bryant was going to play 2nd base.

Or Left field?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #436 on: January 17, 2014, 12:28:34 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 09:37:07 AM
Quote from: Yeti on January 17, 2014, 09:36:08 AM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 09:24:48 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 17, 2014, 12:58:20 AM
Sploosh.

Not a fucking chance.

Unsplooshed

Give me a break. Does anyone not named Crane Kenney think this is gonna happen?

If he won't sign here because he wants to live in New York or L.A. or pitch for a contender, I think it's cool that Theo would drive the price up. Hell, why not?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #437 on: January 17, 2014, 12:45:31 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on January 17, 2014, 12:12:57 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
So let's have a fun exercise in the vein of TJ's post.

What if the Cubs are (with roster as presently constructed) somehow hanging in the race in July. It's late July and let's say the Cubs inexplicably hold a 3-4 game lead in the division. Maybe the Cards have some crippling injuries. Maybe the Pirates are back to being the Pirates. But let's just say Cub pitching has far exceeded expectations and while they still can't hit for shit, they're just not giving up enough runs to lose.

What do you think happens?

Again it's a slim lead nearing the trade deadline and in this fake future I've created everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Cubs don't have the players to win the division. Sell? Buy? Stand pat?

I think it'd be really interesting to see what the front office would do.

I think I want them to stand pat. I'm no genius, but I feel like if they're that close with the current roster (they might have had to call someone up to be in that position, though), then 2015 should be fantastic,

At this point, the project is getting closer to fruition. Even if the Cubs conten at midsummer, there's no reason to deviate from that. The only non-pat-standing that could happen in this instance would be the addition of Baez if he tortures AAA pitching like he did to AA pitching.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #438 on: January 17, 2014, 12:47:26 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2014, 12:45:31 PM

What if the Cubs are (with roster as presently constructed) somehow hanging in the race in July. It's late July and let's say the Cubs inexplicably hold a 3-4 game lead in the division. Maybe the Cards have some crippling injuries. Maybe the Pirates are back to being the Pirates. But let's just say Cub pitching has far exceeded expectations and while they still can't hit for shit, they're just not giving up enough runs to lose.

Again it's a slim lead nearing the trade deadline and in this fake future I've created everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Cubs don't have the players to win the division. Sell? Buy? Stand pat?

I think I want them to stand pat. I'm no genius, but I feel like if they're that close with the current roster (they might have had to call someone up to be in that position, though), then 2015 should be fantastic,

At this point, the project is getting closer to fruition. Even if the Cubs conten at midsummer, there's no reason to deviate from that. The only non-pat-standing that could happen in this instance would be the addition of Baez if he tortures AAA pitching like he did to AA pitching.

So with the consensus being "stand pat" with the exception for Five Head Todd's pointless offering - imagine the shitstorm from the Haughs, Sullys, Morrisseys, Telanders, et. al. if the Cubs didn't beef up the roster with a division lead in July.

It would be just about the greatest spectacle in media history.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #439 on: January 17, 2014, 12:55:37 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

So with the consensus being "stand pat" with the exception for Five Head Todd's pointless offering - imagine the shitstorm from the Haughs, Sullys, Morrisseys, Telanders, et. al. if the Cubs didn't beef up the roster with a division lead in July.

If we're talking about a slight division lead and the deal on the table is a player who helps now but not so much in the long run in exchange for Baez, Bryant, Almora or Soler, I think you say no. The opportunity to win the division is not worth sacrificing a player you're counting on to build your franchise. If they would be getting back someone that actually could help over the next two years - a pitcher with a decent upside, say, well, yeah. Do it probably.

I think the theory STAND PAT isn't even feasible without knowing what the deal would be. It's a more useful exercise to look at their assets and decide what they should want back in return. When I read the original hypothetical I thought it was with regard to a "white flag" type of trade. That's a question we'd have to ponder at the moment too. If the Cubs were 3 games up in July and a contending team wanted to know what they'd take for Snork, I think it'd be wise to consider what prospects they've got that can help us beyond Snork - even if it made the CubbieBlueStews of the world crap their pants.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #440 on: January 17, 2014, 01:17:44 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 17, 2014, 12:55:37 PM

If we're talking about a slight division lead and the deal on the table is a player who helps now but not so much in the long run in exchange for Baez, Bryant, Almora or Soler, I think you say no. The opportunity to win the division is not worth sacrificing a player you're counting on to build your franchise. If they would be getting back someone that actually could help over the next two years - a pitcher with a decent upside, say, well, yeah. Do it probably.

I think the theory STAND PAT isn't even feasible without knowing what the deal would be. It's a more useful exercise to look at their assets and decide what they should want back in return. When I read the original hypothetical I thought it was with regard to a "white flag" type of trade. That's a question we'd have to ponder at the moment too. If the Cubs were 3 games up in July and a contending team wanted to know what they'd take for Snork, I think it'd be wise to consider what prospects they've got that can help us beyond Snork - even if it made the CubbieBlueStews of the world crap their pants.  
What makes me crap my pants is that we are 5 and half weeks to go before Spring training and here we are trying to decide if we are going to the World Series this year or the year after.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #441 on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:22 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on January 17, 2014, 01:17:44 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 17, 2014, 12:55:37 PM

What makes me crap my pants is that we are 5 and half weeks to go before Spring training and here we are trying to decide if we are going to the World Series this year or the year after.

Neither, Stew.

I'm sorry.

2016 though. 
Consider it an 85th birthday present.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #442 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:57 PM »

Those assholes will lose their shit regardless of where the Cubs are in the standings. Sully stays pretty calm.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #443 on: January 17, 2014, 04:29:41 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 17, 2014, 12:13:50 PM

Stand pat.  I don't see them trading a single valuable piece of the future to back a team of Ruggiano, Schierholtz, Barney, et al.

Quote from: Eli
But every chance to win is sacred though, right Epstein?

I think it's weird that it bothers you that it bothers me that the Cubs suck.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #444 on: January 17, 2014, 04:35:17 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 17, 2014, 04:29:41 PM

Stand pat.  I don't see them trading a single valuable piece of the future to back a team of Ruggiano, Schierholtz, Barney, et al.

It should bother you. It bothers me a lot.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #445 on: January 17, 2014, 04:41:22 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 04:35:17 PM

Forget it, Jake.  It's Chinatown.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #446 on: January 17, 2014, 04:50:09 PM »

I think any of us should be that depressed about the Cubs being irrelevant for 6+ years and embarking on a slow, methodical, painful rebuilding process that may take another 3-4 years to show any real progress on the major league level, or could backfire and result in no progress whatsoever. That's not to say it's the wrong road to take, it just sucks, and the only alternative anyone ever advocates appears to be spending a lot of money they don't have on players who aren't really deserving of it. The road they're on sucks. The other roads available to them suck. Being a Cub fan sucks.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #447 on: January 17, 2014, 05:44:24 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 17, 2014, 04:50:09 PM

I think any of us should be that depressed about the Cubs being irrelevant for 6+ years and embarking on a slow, methodical, painful rebuilding process that may take another 3-4 years to show any real progress on the major league level, or could backfire and result in no progress whatsoever. That's not to say it's the wrong road to take, it just sucks, and the only alternative anyone ever advocates appears to be spending a lot of money they don't have on players who aren't really deserving of it. The road they're on sucks. The other roads available to them suck. Being a Cub fan sucks.

This is where I disagree.

But I think we've already been down this road.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #448 on: January 18, 2014, 08:59:14 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 17, 2014, 05:44:24 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 17, 2014, 04:50:09 PM

This is where I disagree.

But I think we've already been down this road.

I say we make an "eat a dick" list for the Yellons of the world who still think blowing a fuckload (which the Rickettses have, make no mistake) on free agents which then become huge investments blocking progress of these prospects is a good idea when some of them arrive and actually start panning out
TIME TO POST!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #449 on: January 18, 2014, 10:53:40 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 18, 2014, 08:59:14 PM
I say we make an "eat a dick" list for the Yellons of the world who still think blowing a fuckload (which the Rickettses have, make no mistake) on free agents which then become huge investments blocking progress of these prospects is a good idea when some of them arrive and actually start panning out

The only reason high priced free agents block up and comers is because some parties are too cheap to cut a sunk cost once the returns are no longer positive. To date, the Ricketts have not had a problem dumping high salaries and eating the cost. What they haven't had to do yet is cut a high price and sign a replacement high price.