News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 113,112 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #495 on: January 22, 2014, 02:33:49 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 22, 2014, 02:32:56 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2014, 02:30:43 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on January 22, 2014, 02:29:15 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2014, 02:15:51 PM
Quote from: BH on January 22, 2014, 02:14:28 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 22, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2014, 02:00:14 PM
Sucks if this is true.

Which means Epstink just drove the price up to make sure the Yankees paid through the nose in luxury tax, while they still have a starting lineup almost as bad as the Cubs.

I'll sign off on that.

How is the yankees lineup at all as bad as the cubs?

Pretty certain nothing is as bad as the Cubs

Pretty certain that you haven't looked at the Astros' depth chart lately.

They'll be good before the Cubs are.

Now you're just being butthurt. Nobody can say when either team will be good. 

You're right

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #496 on: January 22, 2014, 02:43:36 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2014, 02:14:14 PM
Sucks if this is true.

Which means Epstink just drove the price up to make sure the Yankees paid through the nose in luxury tax, while they still have a starting lineup almost as bad as the Cubs.

I'll sign off on that.

The fuck do the Cubs care about the Yankees luxury tax?

Yeah, that's nonsense.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #497 on: January 22, 2014, 02:47:31 PM »
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.
Theo: Tom, can I have $155 million to sign a pitcher?
Tom: Dad says, "No."
Theo: OK, then I'll bid up the price knowing we can't win so the Yankees will pay luxury tax that's given to the small market teams.
Tom: Sounds good to me.

Yeah, that never happened.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #498 on: January 22, 2014, 02:53:58 PM »
So it could be they out bid and lost to the no trade clauses and extra stuff - or they fake bid

I can't for the life of me imagine a team just saying yeah we'll bid 150 million even though we don't have it because we know the Yankees will beat it.

That's just not real world thinking.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #499 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2014, 02:43:36 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2014, 02:14:14 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

The fuck do the Cubs care about the Yankees luxury tax?

Yeah, that's nonsense.

Maybe they thought that there was a slim chance that the deal would fall apart with the Yankees and wanted to be in the mix if that happened.

Anyway, I hope Tanaka sucks now.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #500 on: January 22, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 22, 2014, 02:53:58 PM
So it could be they out bid and lost to the no trade clauses and extra stuff - or they fake bid

I can't for the life of me imagine a team just saying yeah we'll bid 150 million even though we don't have it because we know the Yankees will beat it.

That's just not real world thinking.

Pay no attention, it's ForkTown.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #501 on: January 22, 2014, 03:06:00 PM »
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

They didn't finish 4th by accident, and this year they lost Chuck's Wet Dream. Sure, maybe Soriano might be able to continue his 2013 pace after joining the Yankees, and maybe Texiera comes back. But most likely, we're looking at Beltran and a bunch of dudes.

The one thing they've got going for them is their starting pitching will be OK if Kuroda can give them another good year, and Robertson will move into the closer's role. But that's about it. A-Rod is done and Jeter needs the plug pulled.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #502 on: January 22, 2014, 03:12:47 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 22, 2014, 03:06:00 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

They didn't finish 4th by accident, and this year they lost Chuck's Wet Dream. Sure, maybe Soriano might be able to continue his 2013 pace after joining the Yankees, and maybe Texiera comes back. But most likely, we're looking at Beltran and a bunch of dudes.

The one thing they've got going for them is their starting pitching will be OK if Kuroda can give them another good year, and Robertson will move into the closer's role. But that's about it. A-Rod is done and Jeter needs the plug pulled.

So how is that lineup as bad as the Cubs then?

Who do the Cubs have who is as good as Ellsbury, Beltran or McCann? Start there. Then we'll have to throw out the "maybe" Texiera comes back, you dropped. He'll be available for Spring Training, I hear. They still have Soriano and Ichiro and what's left of Jeter. And they won 80 some games with less than even that last year.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #503 on: January 22, 2014, 03:30:33 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 22, 2014, 03:12:47 PM
Who do the Cubs have who is as good as Ellsbury, Beltran or McCann? Start there. Then we'll have to throw out the "maybe" Texiera comes back, you dropped. He'll be available for Spring Training, I hear. They still have Soriano and Ichiro and what's left of Jeter. And they won 80 some games with less than even that last year.

While the Cubs lost two of their better hitters from an already-bad lineup.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #504 on: January 22, 2014, 04:27:57 PM »
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

Ichiro wasn't an error of omission. 2 of the last 3 years his OBP has been under .300.

EDIT: I misread the statlines on B-R. Irregardless, last year's .297 was the fourth straight year of decline. He's done.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #505 on: January 22, 2014, 04:32:35 PM »
Quote from: Fork on January 22, 2014, 04:27:57 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

Ichiro wasn't an error of omission. 2 of the last 3 years his OBP has been under .300.

EDIT: I misread the statlines on B-R. Irregardless, last year's .297 was the fourth straight year of decline. He's done.

Irregardless, what about everything else he said?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #506 on: January 22, 2014, 04:39:59 PM »
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

And how did driving up the price to the Yankees help the Cubs set up the play action?
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #507 on: January 22, 2014, 05:58:48 PM »
Quote from: Bort on January 22, 2014, 04:39:59 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 22, 2014, 04:32:35 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.

And how did driving up the price to the Yankees help the Cubs set up the play action?

Now I understand what a "play action fake" is in baseball.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #508 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:00 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 22, 2014, 02:47:31 PM
Sucks if this is true.

I'll sign off on that.
Theo: Tom, can I have $155 million to sign a pitcher?
Tom: Dad says, "No."
Theo: OK, then I'll bid up the price knowing we can't win so the Yankees will pay luxury tax that's given to the small market teams and since we're not a small market team that money will go directly to our competitors and help them get better, maybe better enough to beat us.
Tom: Sounds good to me.

Yeah, that never happened.

No, Chuck.

EDIT: This might have been Chuckian sarcasm, but I'm finding it hard to tell.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #509 on: January 22, 2014, 11:22:03 PM »
I admit I got my hopes up, but got over it fast. Tanaka would have been a nice piece, but there would have been a lot of risk involved too.  Losing out on a bidding war with the Yankees to get a guy with a lot of wear on his arm already even if he is young isn't the end of the world. Theo can just grab him when he opts out in a few years.