News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 113,036 )

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #510 on: January 23, 2014, 02:04:02 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 22, 2014, 06:11:00 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 22, 2014, 02:47:31 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 22, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2014, 02:00:14 PM
Sucks if this is true.

Which means Epstink just drove the price up to make sure the Yankees paid through the nose in luxury tax, while they still have a starting lineup almost as bad as the Cubs.

I'll sign off on that.
Theo: Tom, can I have $155 million to sign a pitcher?
Tom: Dad says, "No."
Theo: OK, then I'll bid up the price knowing we can't win so the Yankees will pay luxury tax that's given to the small market teams and since we're not a small market team that money will go directly to our competitors and help them get better, maybe better enough to beat us.
Tom: Sounds good to me.

Yeah, that never happened.

No, Chuck.

EDIT: This might have been Chuckian sarcasm, but I'm finding it hard to tell.

Oh, see, now you all look a bit stupid.  Chuck looks most stupid of all, natch, but nobody comes out of this well.  Ladies and germs, the Luxury Tax:

The first $5 million is withheld to cover potential refunds, and is contributed to the Industry Growth Fund (IGF) if no refunds are forthcoming. The remaining money is divided as follows: 50% funds player benefits, 25% funds developing baseball in countries without high school baseball, and 25% goes to the IGF.

Not one penny goes to any other team.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #511 on: January 23, 2014, 09:06:27 AM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 23, 2014, 02:04:02 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on January 22, 2014, 06:11:00 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on January 22, 2014, 02:47:31 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 22, 2014, 02:12:35 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on January 22, 2014, 02:00:14 PM
Sucks if this is true.

Which means Epstink just drove the price up to make sure the Yankees paid through the nose in luxury tax, while they still have a starting lineup almost as bad as the Cubs.

I'll sign off on that.
Theo: Tom, can I have $155 million to sign a pitcher?
Tom: Dad says, "No."
Theo: OK, then I'll bid up the price knowing we can't win so the Yankees will pay luxury tax that's given to the small market teams and since we're not a small market team that money will go directly to our competitors and help them get better, maybe better enough to beat us.
Tom: Sounds good to me.

Yeah, that never happened.

No, Chuck.

EDIT: This might have been Chuckian sarcasm, but I'm finding it hard to tell.

Oh, see, now you all look a bit stupid.  Chuck looks most stupid of all, natch, but nobody comes out of this well.  Ladies and germs, the Luxury Tax:

The first $5 million is withheld to cover potential refunds, and is contributed to the Industry Growth Fund (IGF) if no refunds are forthcoming. The remaining money is divided as follows: 50% funds player benefits, 25% funds developing baseball in countries without high school baseball, and 25% goes to the IGF.

Not one penny goes to any other team.

My only contribution to this thread was making fun of Fork, so I think I come up smelling like a rose, thank you very much.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #512 on: January 23, 2014, 09:14:19 AM »
Mooney says the actual bid was 6/120.

So much for not being outbid, then?

RV and Eli are pretty disheartened by this. Your take?

EDIT: Also in not-shitty news the Cubs Top 10 Prospect list was announced by BP and not only is it the 2nd best in baseball but I could see any of the 10 guys becoming good major leaguers.

I also have a stupid baseball-crush on Alcantara but that might be born from a desire to rid this planet of Darwin Barney.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #513 on: January 23, 2014, 09:18:34 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 23, 2014, 09:14:19 AM

Looks they offered him 20 Million dollars a year. If the Yankees were desperate enough to go well beyond that, I see absolutely no reason to be upset about this.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #514 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 09:18:34 AM

Looks they offered him 20 Million dollars a year. If the Yankees were desperate enough to go well beyond that, I see absolutely no reason to be upset about this.

That's what I thought, too. If they have the cheese to give out 20 mil a year that just means they truly aren't interested in a lot of the FAs of this year because they aren't worth it.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #515 on: January 23, 2014, 09:19:37 AM »

If he signed for $120 million, cubs fans would be complaining about how they overpaid for him. And they would probably be right.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #516 on: January 23, 2014, 09:22:32 AM »
Quote from: BH on January 23, 2014, 09:19:37 AM

If he signed for $120 million, cubs fans would be complaining about how they overpaid for him. And they would probably be right.

He has never thrown a Major League pitch. This guy could be the Japanese Frank Castillo for all we know.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #517 on: January 23, 2014, 09:36:07 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 09:22:32 AM

He has never thrown a Major League pitch. This guy could be the Japanese Frank Castillo for all we know.

He's dead?

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #518 on: January 23, 2014, 09:41:22 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 23, 2014, 09:36:07 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 09:22:32 AM

He's dead?

He may not even exist.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #519 on: January 23, 2014, 12:29:08 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on January 23, 2014, 09:19:07 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 09:18:34 AM

That's what I thought, too. If they have the cheese to give out 20 mil a year that just means they truly aren't interested in a lot of the FAs of this year because they aren't worth it.

Obviously paying $20 M+ a year for ANY pitcher is a huge risk. But given the fact that there aren't any aces on the horizon in the Cubs system, they're probably going to have to acquire one from outside the organization at some point. And this seemed as good a bet/investment as anyone given that he's (a) young (b) a potential ace and (c) wouldn't cost any prospects. Any ace-type pitcher they acquire now will either cost a shit ton of cash and be 3-5 years older than Tanaka, AND/OR will cost you some really good prospects.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #520 on: January 23, 2014, 12:38:23 PM »
To some extent I'm just tired of bad news. Losing out on Darvish, Cespedes, Anibal. Castro sucking. Ownership taking a goddamn eternity to get this renovation done that I'm sick and tired of caring about. Cliff Alexander taking a dump on John Groce. Bears missing the playoffs. Bulls mired in NBA hell.

I love talking Cubs prospects because I hope to FUCKING JEEBERS 3 or 4 of the top 10 actually turn out to be studs. But that's all we have to hang our hat on at the moment. As I think SKO mentioned, I know the Cubs are absolutely doing the right thing with this but I want sports to give me some good feels post haste to replace all the bad feels.

(yes I've tried to glom on to the Hawks but I just can't do it)

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #521 on: January 23, 2014, 12:51:04 PM »
Quote from: R-V on January 23, 2014, 12:38:23 PM
To some extent I'm just tired of bad news. Losing out on Darvish, Cespedes, Anibal. Castro sucking. Ownership taking a goddamn eternity to get this renovation done that I'm sick and tired of caring about. Cliff Alexander taking a dump on John Groce. Bears missing the playoffs. Bulls mired in NBA hell.

I love talking Cubs prospects because I hope to FUCKING JEEBERS 3 or 4 of the top 10 actually turn out to be studs. But that's all we have to hang our hat on at the moment. As I think SKO mentioned, I know the Cubs are absolutely doing the right thing with this but I want sports to give me some good feels post haste to replace all the bad feels.

I glommed onto the Heat and it's been great. Life is good.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #522 on: January 23, 2014, 01:21:33 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 12:51:04 PM

I glommed onto the Heat LeBron's dong and it's been great. Life is good.

smh
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #523 on: January 23, 2014, 01:22:29 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 23, 2014, 12:51:04 PM

I glommed onto the Heat and it's been great. Life is good.

At least CT has his beloved White Sox.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #524 on: January 23, 2014, 01:24:38 PM »

It's not all bad news. Soler was the guy from Cuba with youth and potential, the Cubs got him. The front office traded a 2 month Garza rental into 4 legit prospects.  The farm system is ranked #2 in baseball - all turned around in the past few years. The Cubs should have another top pick after this years crappy season. Theo and Hoyer are good at turning mediocre talent into good prospects at the trade deadline.