News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,943 )

Armchair_QB

• Hank White Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #540 on: January 26, 2014, 10:37:19 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on January 24, 2014, 03:22:42 PM
Quote from: Eli on January 24, 2014, 11:59:36 AM
Quote from: Fork on January 24, 2014, 08:59:26 AM
That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter.

It's a nice sentiment, but I don't think Cubs fans really need additional suffering to appreciate a championship.

Until you meet those Cubs fans who would appreciably suffer if/when they win a championship.  Some people think that the losing is just cute and Cubbily.

Those people need to be beaten with a blunt object.
"I never read this book the Cardinals wrote way back in the day regarding how to play baseball."

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #541 on: January 27, 2014, 09:14:49 AM »
Quote from: Armchair_QB on January 26, 2014, 10:37:19 PM
That's why, while it may be discouraging now, hanging in there a few more years will make crossing the finish line that much sweeter.

It's a nice sentiment, but I don't think Cubs fans really need additional suffering to appreciate a championship.

Until you meet those Cubs fans who would appreciably suffer if/when they win a championship.  Some people think that the losing is just cute and Cubbily.

I don't think those people exist. I think there may be people who try to express the feeling that the long wait for a championship would make the actual feat more rewarding and in doing so are taken to mean that they like losing. If someone actually enjoys the losing even a little bit, they're not a Cubs fan.

I always thought fans of other teams invented these people as part of their criticism of our fans. Not that our fellow Cub fans aren't worthy of scorn but there's enough wrong with them already that it makes no sense to just make stuff up.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #542 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:41 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 09:14:49 AM

I don't think those people exist. I think there may be people who try to express the feeling that the long wait for a championship would make the actual feat more rewarding and in doing so are taken to mean that they like losing. If someone actually enjoys the losing even a little bit, they're not a Cubs fan.

I always thought fans of other teams invented these people as part of their criticism of our fans. Not that our fellow Cub fans aren't worthy of scorn but there's enough wrong with them already that it makes no sense to just make stuff up.

People who take pleasure in the Cubs' losing are typically called White Sox fans.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #543 on: January 27, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 27, 2014, 09:32:41 AM

People who take pleasure in the Cubs' losing are typically called White Sox fans.

I was happy to see them lose down the stretch in 2006, as I was so despondent and desperate for wholesale changes from Andy MacPhail on down to Dusty Baker.  Not apologizing for it, either.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #544 on: January 27, 2014, 09:44:13 AM »

Yeah, there's no way Chicago sports fans would get their asses chapped because their team's success would lead to "bandwagon" fans, as if their suffering through bad years somehow entitles them to some sort of exalted status. Nope. Nosiree.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #545 on: January 27, 2014, 10:39:25 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2014, 09:44:13 AM

Yeah, there's no way Chicago sports fans would get their asses chapped because their team's success would lead to "bandwagon" fans, as if their suffering through bad years somehow entitles them to some sort of exalted status. Nope. Nosiree.

You're talking about butthurt at late-arriving fans not disappointment in the fact that the team is winning.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #546 on: January 27, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 10:39:25 AM

You're talking about butthurt at late-arriving fans not disappointment in the fact that the team is winning.

But the bitching's root cause is the team's success.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #547 on: January 27, 2014, 10:59:07 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2014, 10:46:47 AM

But what those people want - irrational as it certainly is - would be for the Hawks to win and the bandwagon fans to fuck off and die. If you know of people who want to go back to a half-empty stadium and a losing team, well fuck. But Wrigley was packed to the gills for mediocre teams for years. If someone is going tell me that there are people who want a full stadium and a losing Cubs team, I think they're talking about Wrigley beer vendors who live in Evergreen Park. Not Cubs fans. That guy is not real.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #548 on: January 27, 2014, 11:15:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 10:59:07 AM

But what those people want - irrational as it certainly is - would be for the Hawks to win and the bandwagon fans to fuck off and die. If you know of people who want to go back to a half-empty stadium and a losing team, well fuck. But Wrigley was packed to the gills for mediocre teams for years. If someone is going tell me that there are people who want a full stadium and a losing Cubs team, I think they're talking about Wrigley beer vendors who live in Evergreen Park. Not Cubs fans. That guy is not real.

The Hawks are only the current example. But there was bitching aplenty in 2008 and 2009 when Cubs playoff tickets were nowhere to be found too. And the people who bitch about the trappings of success probably do have a dark part of their psyche that would rather the Cubs be lovable losers so they can not have to fight for armrests, get cheaper nacho helmets, and have the beer vendor welcome them by name. They'd rather be a king in Hell than a rank-and-file angel.
TIME TO POST!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #549 on: January 27, 2014, 11:22:14 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2014, 11:15:20 AM

Until you meet those Cubs fans who would appreciably suffer if/when they win a championship.  Some people think that the losing is just cute and Cubbily.

The Hawks are only the current example. But there was bitching aplenty in 2008 and 2009 when Cubs playoff tickets were nowhere to be found too. And the people who bitch about the trappings of success probably do have a dark part of their psyche that would rather the Cubs be lovable losers so they can not have to fight for armrests, get cheaper nacho helmets, and have the beer vendor welcome them by name. They'd rather be a king in Hell than a rank-and-file angel.

If such a person exists, and I'm not willing to believe it's more than like 500 people worldwide, I wouldn't call them a fan of the team. Nobody was saying, I wish the Cubs wouldn't make the playoffs so I wouldn't have to stress out about finding playoff tickets. That's just a very strange, socially awkward person with a habit of attending sporting events. They don't need to be beaten with a blunt object. Leave that person alone.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #550 on: January 27, 2014, 11:29:35 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 11:22:14 AM

Until you meet those Cubs fans who would appreciably suffer if/when they win a championship.  Some people think that the losing is just cute and Cubbily.

If such a person exists, and I'm not willing to believe it's more than like 500 people worldwide, I wouldn't call them a fan of the team. Nobody was saying, I wish the Cubs wouldn't make the playoffs so I wouldn't have to stress out about finding playoff tickets. That's just a very strange, socially awkward person with a habit of attending sporting events.

Yeah, and it's not like there's a huge group of THOSE people out there.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #551 on: January 27, 2014, 11:31:31 AM »
Quote from: CT III on January 27, 2014, 11:29:35 AM

If such a person exists, and I'm not willing to believe it's more than like 500 people worldwide, I wouldn't call them a fan of the team. Nobody was saying, I wish the Cubs wouldn't make the playoffs so I wouldn't have to stress out about finding playoff tickets. That's just a very strange, socially awkward person with a habit of attending sporting events.

The BCB crowd is dumb and uninteresting but I think they do want the Cubs to win very badly. Some of them even demand that management put an 81-win team on the field NOW!!! How many more tears?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #552 on: January 27, 2014, 11:38:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 11:31:31 AM

The BCB crowd is dumb and uninteresting but I think they do want the Cubs to win very badly. Some of them even demand that management put an 81-win team on the field NOW!!! How many more tears?

Those maladjusted turdcutters will be the loudest when it comes to believing things were better when the Cubs were losing.
TIME TO POST!

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #553 on: January 27, 2014, 11:42:24 AM »
Quote from: Fork on January 27, 2014, 11:38:20 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 27, 2014, 11:31:31 AM

Those maladjusted turdcutters will be the loudest when it comes to believing things were better when the Cubs were losing.

Then we will beat them with blunt objects.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #554 on: January 27, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on January 27, 2014, 09:32:41 AM

Or the proprietor of that website mentioned above, just so long as History is being made at Wrigley Field. 

Or me, if the team is already horseshit and I'd rather Epstoyer have a top-five pick to play with than top-15.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?