News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 113,095 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #660 on: September 30, 2014, 03:20:29 PM »
Bump.

Theo had his end-of-the-year presser today, saying the goal for 2015 is winning the division.

He also said the team was able to do five years' work in three, and they will add a top-line pitcher from outside the organization "in the next 15 months."

Buckle up guys. The Golden Age is nigh.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: September 30, 2014, 03:23:06 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 30, 2014, 03:20:29 PM
Theo had his end-of-the-year presser today, saying the goal for 2015 is winning the division.

He also said the team was able to do five years' work in three, and they will add a top-line pitcher from outside the organization "in the next 15 months."

Theo's probably just being cautious and leaving himself an out, but there's a little bit of a disconnect between those two things.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: September 30, 2014, 03:46:59 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 30, 2014, 03:23:06 PM

Theo's probably just being cautious and leaving himself an out, but there's a little bit of a disconnect between those two things.

The Sun Times doesn't understand.  Is it 2015?  2016?  2019 when the CASH FLOW starts?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: September 30, 2014, 03:59:46 PM »

Not necessarily. They were 6th in overall FIP this year, and only fell to 13th in the 2nd half after the Snork/Hammel trade. Given their track record with reclamation projects, and assuming that Arrieta & Hendricks can come close to what they did this year, they don't necessarily need a "top-line pitcher" to field a top 10 pitching staff.

On the other side of the coin, the offense went from 27th in wOBA in the 1st half of the season, up to 12th in the 2nd half (when you had a lineup with guys who, for the most part, will be here next year). Factor in improvement from Baez & Alcantara, which will hopefully offset injuries and regression from guys like Coghlan and Soler, and add an outfielder and/or a catcher, and you got a stew going.

I'm not saying all of this means winning the division is likely, but it's definitely a much more realistic goal when Ricketts declared it at the beginning of this season or whenever it was, even without a Lester/Scherzer/Shields signing. Don't get me wrong though - I hope they get at least one of those bastards signed to push the possible into the realm of the more-possible.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: September 30, 2014, 04:00:05 PM »

A little bit, yeah. If you believe, as many of us do that winning the division in 2015 won't be possible without a top-line pitcher from outside the organization, then you'd think they have to move on that sooner than later. But saying you'll add one before next season is a recipe for disaster. And opening that up to the 2015 deadline or next offseason means that it will happen when it happens, so other GMs can't get too fucking cute with their Samardjiza for Bryant LOLfests.  
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: October 01, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »

Like you said, he's leaving himself an out. He's going to try landing Lester or one of the other FAs this season, but if he whiffs on all of them he hasn't painted himself into a corner with the media.

Even without an outside guy, full seasons of Arietta, Hendricks and Soler, plus any improvement from Baez and Alacantara, with Bryant showing up in May gets them pretty fucking close to the 15 wins or so they'll need to play in October.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 01, 2014, 08:03:49 AM

Like you said, he's leaving himself an out. He's going to try landing Lester or one of the other FAs this season, but if he whiffs on all of them he hasn't painted himself into a corner with the media.

Even without an outside guy, full seasons of Arietta, Hendricks and Soler, plus any improvement from Baez and Alacantara, with Bryant showing up in May gets them pretty fucking close to the 15 wins or so they'll need to play in October.

I still think they'll need an additional top arm to give them a reasonable shot. I'm fully on board with Arrieta as a #1 kind of guy, but Hendricks probably isn't going to have an ERA in the 2s again. He's still a key piece, but probably more of a #3/#4 than a top-of-the-rotation guy (if you're into that whole numerical ranking of starters thing).

I expect them to sign Lester, so it's a moot point.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: October 01, 2014, 09:30:32 AM »
Bump.

I am going to be Captain Obvious, but doesn't that mean that we can't expect to see Mr. Topoftheline until the 2016 season?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: October 01, 2014, 09:33:50 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on October 01, 2014, 09:30:32 AM
Bump.

I am going to be Captain Obvious, but doesn't that mean that we can't expect to see Mr. Topoftheline until the 2016 season?

I take it to mean that we can expect to see him anywhere from tomorrow (unlikely) until 15 months from now (definitely).

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: October 01, 2014, 09:36:42 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2014, 08:44:14 AM

I still think they'll need an additional top arm to give them a reasonable shot. I'm fully on board with Arrieta as a #1 kind of guy, but Hendricks probably isn't going to have an ERA in the 2s again. He's still a key piece, but probably more of a #3/#4 than a top-of-the-rotation guy (if you're into that whole numerical ranking of starters thing).

I'm convincing myself that Lester is going to the Yankees or Dodgers. The Cubs can offer him a lot of money but I think those teams can offer him more. If he did go to New York it'd be disappointing on so many levels. If he chose the Dodgers I couldn't really blame him at all.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: October 01, 2014, 10:18:46 AM »
Not that it matters in the whole scheme of things, but I think I'd rather have Scherzer.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: October 01, 2014, 10:24:28 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on October 01, 2014, 10:18:46 AM
Not that it matters in the whole scheme of things, but I think I'd rather have Scherzer.

Either would be great. I just figure Lester will cost a bit less and the front office has a history with him, so it seems more likely.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: October 01, 2014, 10:45:11 AM »
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2014, 10:24:28 AM

Either would be great. I just figure Lester will cost a bit less and the front office has a history with him, so it seems more likely.

If I had to bet I might bet on Jamaican superstar Justin Masterson unless he has some kind of revival in the playoffs. He'd be cheap, especially if he gets lit up in the NLDS or whenever his next outing might be. And he's got the stuff Bosio loves - except that his fastball is losing steam.

Wouldn't be a terrible fall back option assuming he doesn't demand EJax money.

EDIT: it IS possible they go outside the box and trade for someone, say Cole Hamels. That would be fucking amazing.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:27 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 01, 2014, 10:45:11 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2014, 10:24:28 AM

If I had to bet I might bet on Jamaican superstar Justin Masterson unless he has some kind of revival in the playoffs. He'd be cheap, especially if he gets lit up in the NLDS or whenever his next outing might be. And he's got the stuff Bosio loves - except that his fastball is losing steam.

Wouldn't be a terrible fall back option assuming he doesn't demand EJax money.

EDIT: it IS possible they go outside the box and trade for someone, say Cole Hamels. That would be fucking amazing.

If they get Masterson, I still want them to get an actual top-of-the-rotation guy, and not a guy who pitched that like 2 out of the last 4 years.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:57 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 01, 2014, 09:36:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on October 01, 2014, 08:44:14 AM

I'm convincing myself that Lester is going to the Yankees or Dodgers. The Cubs can offer him a lot of money but I think those teams can offer him more. If he did go to New York it'd be disappointing on so many levels. If he chose the Dodgers I couldn't really blame him at all.

Why would it be more disappointing to see him go to the Yankees than the Dodgers? I don't understand that Slak logic at all.

David Price should be available in 15 some odd months.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.