News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread  ( 112,949 )

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Theo Epstein Sploosh Thread
« Reply #885 on: October 01, 2015, 01:33:53 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 12:12:30 PM
Quote from: Slaky on October 01, 2015, 12:11:38 PM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 01, 2015, 09:44:45 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on September 28, 2015, 02:57:26 PM
I've somehow managed to avoid Peoria classhole Nick Vlahos up until today.

For which I'm thankful.

Probably because he only made one post which appears to have been lost in the Rattocalypse.

http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?action=profile;u=178

Holy shit.

What we lost, what we never had.

I bet you his initial post was greeted with "Shut up, Paul, you're a douche" and he NOPED right out of here.
M'lady.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #886 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:24 PM »
Quote from: Canadouche on October 01, 2015, 01:33:53 PM

For which I'm thankful.

Probably because he only made one post which appears to have been lost in the Rattocalypse.

Holy shit.

I bet you his initial post was greeted with "Shut up, Paul, you're a douche" and he NOPED right out of here.

Oh man.  You might be right.  I'm imaging that's the truth and it's making me laugh.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #887 on: October 02, 2015, 01:04:39 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on October 01, 2015, 04:43:24 PM
Quote from: Canadouche on October 01, 2015, 01:33:53 PM

For which I'm thankful.

Holy shit.

Oh man.  You might be right.  I'm imaging that's the truth and it's making me laugh.

Pics, or it didn't happen.  Literally.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #888 on: December 04, 2015, 05:35:53 PM »
Theo says free draft picks for the Cardinals are bad, gives them one by signing Lackey HEY THEO WHO YA CRAPPIN????
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #889 on: December 04, 2015, 05:40:02 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on December 04, 2015, 05:35:53 PM
Theo says free draft picks for the Cardinals are bad, gives them one by signing Lackey HEY THEO WHO YA CRAPPIN????

(Now please give them another for Heyward.)
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #891 on: September 28, 2016, 03:10:01 PM »
Interesting to agree to it now. I wonder if there are escalators and/or profit participation clauses in case they win the World Series.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #892 on: September 28, 2016, 03:13:12 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 28, 2016, 03:10:01 PM
Interesting to agree to it now. I wonder if there are escalators and/or profit participation clauses in case they win the World Series.

I prefer to believe they wanted to troll the White Sox by pairing "Cubs extending Greatest GM in Baseball History for 5 more years" with the Robin Ventura news.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #893 on: September 28, 2016, 03:16:05 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 28, 2016, 03:13:12 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 28, 2016, 03:10:01 PM

I prefer to believe they wanted to troll the White Sox by pairing "Cubs extending Greatest GM in Baseball History for 5 more years" with the Robin Ventura news.

Hold that thought. Bruce Levine just sent another Tweet.

QuoteWhite Sox Agree to Install Keurig Coffee Maker In Rick Hahn's Office; Hahn to Be Limited to Five K-Cups Per Week

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #894 on: September 28, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
Now it sounds like Hoyer and McLeod (whose contracts were previously reported to run concurrently with Theo's) were also extended. Maybe this has something to do with the Twins' interest in McLeod given the timing.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #895 on: September 28, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 28, 2016, 03:25:43 PM
Now it sounds like Hoyer and McLeod (whose contracts were previously reported to run concurrently with Theo's) were also extended. Maybe this has something to do with the Twins' interest in McLeod given the timing.

I swaw on the Twits that McLeod was out of the running with the Twins.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #896 on: September 28, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on September 28, 2016, 03:45:23 PM
Quote from: Saul Goodman on September 28, 2016, 03:25:43 PM

I swaw on the Twits that McLeod was out of the running with the Twins.

"Hey guys, Theo is going to give me a buttload of money to stay. Thanks for everything."
"You're out of the running. Congrats."

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #897 on: November 03, 2016, 01:38:47 PM »
BUMP
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #899 on: November 10, 2016, 03:14:37 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on January 17, 2014, 01:19:22 PM
Quote from: CBStew on January 17, 2014, 01:17:44 PM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 17, 2014, 12:55:37 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 12:47:26 PM
Quote from: Fork on January 17, 2014, 12:45:31 PM
Quote from: Yeti on January 17, 2014, 12:12:57 PM
Quote from: Slaky on January 17, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
So let's have a fun exercise in the vein of TJ's post.

What if the Cubs are (with roster as presently constructed) somehow hanging in the race in July. It's late July and let's say the Cubs inexplicably hold a 3-4 game lead in the division. Maybe the Cards have some crippling injuries. Maybe the Pirates are back to being the Pirates. But let's just say Cub pitching has far exceeded expectations and while they still can't hit for shit, they're just not giving up enough runs to lose.

What do you think happens?

Again it's a slim lead nearing the trade deadline and in this fake future I've created everyone's waiting for the other shoe to drop. The Cubs don't have the players to win the division. Sell? Buy? Stand pat?

I think it'd be really interesting to see what the front office would do.

I think I want them to stand pat. I'm no genius, but I feel like if they're that close with the current roster (they might have had to call someone up to be in that position, though), then 2015 should be fantastic,

At this point, the project is getting closer to fruition. Even if the Cubs conten at midsummer, there's no reason to deviate from that. The only non-pat-standing that could happen in this instance would be the addition of Baez if he tortures AAA pitching like he did to AA pitching.

So with the consensus being "stand pat" with the exception for Five Head Todd's pointless offering - imagine the shitstorm from the Haughs, Sullys, Morrisseys, Telanders, et. al. if the Cubs didn't beef up the roster with a division lead in July.

It would be just about the greatest spectacle in media history.

If we're talking about a slight division lead and the deal on the table is a player who helps now but not so much in the long run in exchange for Baez, Bryant, Almora or Soler, I think you say no. The opportunity to win the division is not worth sacrificing a player you're counting on to build your franchise. If they would be getting back someone that actually could help over the next two years - a pitcher with a decent upside, say, well, yeah. Do it probably.

I think the theory STAND PAT isn't even feasible without knowing what the deal would be. It's a more useful exercise to look at their assets and decide what they should want back in return. When I read the original hypothetical I thought it was with regard to a "white flag" type of trade. That's a question we'd have to ponder at the moment too. If the Cubs were 3 games up in July and a contending team wanted to know what they'd take for Snork, I think it'd be wise to consider what prospects they've got that can help us beyond Snork - even if it made the CubbieBlueStews of the world crap their pants.  
What makes me crap my pants is that we are 5 and half weeks to go before Spring training and here we are trying to decide if we are going to the World Series this year or the year after.

Neither, Stew.

I'm sorry.

2016 though. 
Consider it an 85th birthday present.