News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch  ( 13,465 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch
« on: June 02, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
Might as well get this started...

So just about a month ago, while at the game and watching the Cubs pin Max Scherzer's ears back, I dismissed, completely out of hand, the notion that was brought to me that Kyle Schwarber could make it back, at the very least in time to simply DH in the World Series.  However, some further discussion on that matter made me pause.  Like Adrian Peterson, for example, a FOOTBALL player, a freaking Running Back, tore his ACL and MCL around Christmas, 2011 and was in the starting lineup the following September--8 months later.  Now even factoring in that Schwarber also messed up his ankle as well, and by all accounts AP may have proven to be a freak of nature, I'm not entirely letting go this.  Nor or others lately, I've noticed.

Clearly, Cubs management wants the expectation set that he's done for the year--and they should.  But hearing recently that he's now gone down from 2 crutches to one, and assuming he's probably already been increasing his rehab, my interest gets piqued.  It's been 2 months since the injury and just a little less than that since the surgery, and 2 months into the future and it's still only early August...is there a reason why Kyle couldn't be hitting off a tee by then, possibly get into some minor league playoff games as a DH by early September?  And if so, then maybe...

He's still young, my thinking is that he his body can recover a little more quickly, sports science/medicine continues to evolve--though AP is no doubt a freak of nature, he probably doesn't make such a quick comeback had then injury occurred a decade earlier.  Just throwing it out there.  Feel free to tell me I'm a shithead (per usual), or feel free to henceforth add any "Bigfoot"-type Schwarber sightings that'll stir mens' souls.*

*Not that the Cubs truly need need Schwarber...they're going to the World Series regardless...still--just to have Schwarber for the potential 3 AL games when they get there might be all they need to push them over.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 03:06:06 PM »
He definitely wouldn't be able to play a capable outfield by this fall (it was debatable if he could before the injury), so there's no way the benefit of having him for a few games as a DH in a theoretical World Series outweighs the long-term risk of rushing him back.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 04:17:16 PM »
Quote from: Eli on June 02, 2016, 03:06:06 PM
He definitely wouldn't be able to play a capable outfield by this fall (it was debatable if he could before the injury), so there's no way the benefit of having him for a few games as a DH in a theoretical World Series outweighs the long-term risk of rushing him back.

/thread
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 05:19:30 PM »

As long as he homers every time up, he could crawl around the bases.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 05:56:21 PM »
My lack of medical knowledge about ligament injuries informs me that ANYTHING can happen!
M'lady.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 08:06:08 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 02, 2016, 04:17:16 PM

/thread

You know, I don't actually mind the thread. I guess there's technically a non-zero chance something could happen, so now we have a place to post updates and hope on it.

We've certainly had worse threads. Hundreds and hundreds of them.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 10:36:03 PM »

I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 02:13:42 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2016, 10:36:03 PM

I forgot the National League had the DH in those days.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:23:26 AM »
But really, a Gibson-esque Schwarbomb to win a game or two at Wrigley would be pretty sweet too.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 07:56:39 AM »
It took a good 12 months for my first ACL reconstruction, in 1993, to heal up well enough for me to be sitting on my fat ass comfortably.  I was in PT about 2 weeks post-surgery and was off crutches in about 3-4 weeks.

My second ACL surgery, in 2011 on the other knee, required crutches for all of 3 days and I was in PT within a week (would have been sooner if it wasn't for Thanksgiving).  I was working out in about 4 months.  I also re-ruptured my ACL in my second workout and have not gotten it fixed yet.

The first surgery was a replacement of my ligament using a piece of tendon from around my hamstring.
The second surgery was an allograft in which they used a dead dude's ligament (probably a little person, amiright?).

Since these surgeries were nothing like Schwarber's nor am I even close to having the same PT and am not the athlete that Schwarber is, consider this Forkstory closed.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 08:15:18 AM »
Quote from: PenFoe on June 02, 2016, 10:36:03 PM

Nah.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 09:00:19 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on June 03, 2016, 02:23:26 AM
But really, a Gibson-esque Schwarbomb to win a game or two at Wrigley would be pretty sweet too.

The Cubs winning the World Series without Schwarber, then adding him for 2017 will be like the scene in "The Princess Bride" where Wesley says he's not lefthanded.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 09:56:56 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 03, 2016, 09:00:19 AM

The Cubs winning the World Series without Schwarber, then adding him for 2017 will be like the scene in "The Princess Bride" where Wesley says he's not lefthanded.

That is an excellent analogy.
M'lady.

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:11:24 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on June 03, 2016, 09:56:56 AM

Yeah, but at that point wasn't Westley had his back (literally) up against a wall and hadn't won shit.

I'd rather we dust him off in the Series. It'd be like Die Hard where McClane murders anything and everything in his path, then gets to the final boss and it looks like he's screwed but instead he has a SURPRISE KYLE SCHWARBER taped to his back and just continues wrecking shit.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 10:34:01 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on June 03, 2016, 10:11:24 AM
Quote from: Canadouche on June 03, 2016, 09:56:56 AM

Yeah, but at that point wasn't Westley had his back (literally) up against a wall and hadn't won shit.

I'd rather we dust him off in the Series. It'd be like Die Hard where McClane murders anything and everything in his path, then gets to the final boss and it looks like he's screwed but instead he has a SURPRISE KYLE SCHWARBER taped to his back and just continues wrecking shit.

He'd just Willis Reed the fuck out of the whole thing.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16