News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch  ( 13,466 )

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: The Kyle Schwarber 2016 Watch
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2016, 11:00:43 AM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 27, 2016, 10:34:38 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 27, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 27, 2016, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 27, 2016, 10:01:36 AM
How awesome was The Ultimate Schwarrior last night? He's just so easy to root for.

No.

Poor Mike Olt. If he wasn't blind he would have been the Oltimate Warrior.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2016, 11:02:08 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2016, 11:00:43 AM
Quote from: ChuckD on October 27, 2016, 10:34:38 AM
Quote from: Bort on October 27, 2016, 10:29:25 AM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 27, 2016, 10:18:57 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on October 27, 2016, 10:01:36 AM
How awesome was The Ultimate Schwarrior last night? He's just so easy to root for.

No.

Poor Mike Olt. If he wasn't blind bad at baseball he would have been the Oltimate Warrior.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2016, 08:53:06 AM
So.... left field on Friday then?

Give him Friday off and see where we're at.  This is all, of course, dependent on how he looks and feels shagging flys today.

The weather will actually be nice and the ground should be dry, so the conditions might be optimal for it.  At the same time, I'm okay with the notion of Miller being tethered to the bullpen bench until Schwarber's only at-bat of each game, which itself would seem to give Maddon a slight tactical advantage so I'm good with either decision.

The problem with saving him for one pinch hit at bat it he will probably be facing Miller. Is one at bat against a dominant lefty reliever the best way to use him?

Grandmaster Wang

• Hi. I'm Herschel Walker.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2016, 11:10:09 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2016, 11:03:23 AMThe problem with saving him for one pinch hit at bat it he will probably be facing Miller. Is one at bat against a dominant lefty reliever the best way to use him?

Intrepid Reader: Kyle Schwarber
FUCK THAT CHUMP. KYLE SMASH!
Some dude in Cairo just punched a camel in the face on CNN.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2016, 11:23:58 AM »
Here's a crazy idea - play him in right.  Baez ranges waaaay the hell into the outfield on almost every fly ball.  With Javy basically playing short RF, Schwarber can sit back in "no doubles" mode. 

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2016, 11:32:53 AM »
Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2016, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 10:24:40 AM
Quote from: Tony on October 27, 2016, 08:53:06 AM
So.... left field on Friday then?

Give him Friday off and see where we're at.  This is all, of course, dependent on how he looks and feels shagging flys today.

The weather will actually be nice and the ground should be dry, so the conditions might be optimal for it.  At the same time, I'm okay with the notion of Miller being tethered to the bullpen bench until Schwarber's only at-bat of each game, which itself would seem to give Maddon a slight tactical advantage so I'm good with either decision.

The problem with saving him for one pinch hit at bat it he will probably be facing Miller. Is one at bat against a dominant lefty reliever the best way to use him?

If anyone can get to Miller--and I have confidence that someone will before this is over-- it'll be Schwarbs.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2016, 11:34:43 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 27, 2016, 11:23:58 AM
Here's a crazy idea - play him in right.  Baez ranges waaaay the hell into the outfield on almost every fly ball.  With Javy basically playing short RF, Schwarber can sit back in "no doubles" mode. 

Not a bad thought.  Small outfield in Wrigley anyway (keep in mind that part of the reason he got hurt was because he was in a big park and a ball that would've been long gone in Wrigley was in play for him and Dex to both reach on a full sprint), no sun field for a night game, the dude's got a good arm....not a bad thought at all, CT.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
Here's a crazy idea - play him in right.  Baez ranges waaaay the hell into the outfield on almost every fly ball.  With Javy basically playing short RF, Schwarber can sit back in "no doubles" mode.  

Not a bad thought.  Small outfield in Wrigley anyway (keep in mind that part of the reason he got hurt was because he was in a big park and a ball that would've been long gone in Wrigley was in play for him and Dex to both reach on a full sprint), no sun field for a night game, the dude's got a good arm....not a bad thought at all, CT.

Now we'll never know if this is what you really believe or if CT used his MODS power on you.

Both Huey and CT are right.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2016, 11:49:25 AM »
Quote from: Bort on October 27, 2016, 11:43:18 AM
Quote from: Cannonball Titcomb on October 27, 2016, 11:34:43 AM
Here's a crazy idea - play him in right.  Baez ranges waaaay the hell into the outfield on almost every fly ball.  With Javy basically playing short RF, Schwarber can sit back in "no doubles" mode.  

Not a bad thought.  Small outfield in Wrigley anyway (keep in mind that part of the reason he got hurt was because he was in a big park and a ball that would've been long gone in Wrigley was in play for him and Dex to both reach on a full sprint), no sun field for a night game, the dude's got a good arm....not a bad thought at all, CT.

Now we'll never know if this is what you really believe or if CT used his MODS power on you.

Both Huey and CT are right.

I never considered using him in right, but I was thinking Addison could probably cover half of his territory anyway. Javy even more so. He's been practically shaking hands with the outfielders after they catch the ball.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
My best guess is he won't play the whole game whether he starts or comes in later.

Option 1:

- start him in LF (or RF, sure) and let him get a few at bats against the RHP dujour and hopefully he Cubs build a lead that he can come out and Heyward can play the last few innings in RF

Option 2:
- bring him in as a PH relatively early (fourth, fifth sixth inning) to see if Francona goes to Miller, then leave him in the game to get a couple more at bats

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2016, 01:29:45 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 27, 2016, 12:21:22 PM
My best guess is he won't play the whole game whether he starts or comes in later.

Option 1:

- start him in LF (or RF, sure) and let him get a few at bats against the RHP dujour and hopefully he Cubs build a lead that he can come out and Heyward can play the last few innings in RF

Option 2:
- bring him in as a PH relatively early (fourth, fifth sixth inning) to see if Francona goes to Miller, then leave him in the game to get a couple more at bats

Option 3:
- make sure his injured leg doesn't get near the brick wall because that would be bad for injured legs. It's fine for healthy legs.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2016, 01:55:10 PM »
Just so I understand, the plan y'all want is to not only have him play the field for the first time since April, but to have him play a position he's never played before? 
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2016, 02:00:28 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 27, 2016, 01:55:10 PM
Just so I understand, the plan y'all want is to not only have him play the field for the first time since April, but to have him play a position he's never played before?  

Played 4 games in right with 2 starts there last year. He also started in RF in the WC game because Pittsburgh has a small right field and a cavernous left field. Good work, Peniswrong.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2016, 02:15:56 PM »
Personally, I think the Cubs got more than they were wishing for when they added him to the World Series roster--he had great AB's in an AL park that helped the Cubs split those two games. That's enormous...

If the doctors say his rehab is complete and he can play the field, then so be it. But that also likely means that someone's taking a seat--Zobrist (yeah right), Baez (yeah right), Bryant (yeah right) or Heyward (eehhh).

It comes down to Heyward vs. Schwarber. I guess the best thing, if he can play OF, is start him in LF and take him out later in the game if the Cubs have a lead and replace him with Heyward (Zobrist to LF, Heyward to RF).

I just don't want him to be rushed back and risk some freak injury causing runs to score and further push back his readiness for next season. But then again can't you say that about every player?

This is a good problem to have.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2016, 02:38:15 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 27, 2016, 02:00:28 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on October 27, 2016, 01:55:10 PM

Played 4 games in right with 2 starts there last year. He also started in RF in the WC game because Pittsburgh has a small right field and a cavernous left field. Good work, Peniswrong.

He started RF in Game 1 of the Cardinals series. I WAS THERE, MAN.

Also, welcome back