News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twins SPLOOGEFEST  ( 58,344 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twins SPLOOGEFEST
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2009, 04:34:13 PM »
The Cubs need to trade for Cabrera and hire Ryne Sandberg as manager to keep him in line.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #151 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
Cubs offseason
1. Milton for Miggy
2. ...
3. Profit
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #152 on: October 05, 2009, 09:02:55 PM »
Quote from: Pre on October 05, 2009, 04:15:08 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 02:03:36 PM
Sorry, you can have that.  Also, First Basemen with low .900 OPS basically grow on trees.  There were 12 of them that had a qualifying number of ABs.   Cabrera was eighth on the list.

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable_player_stats.jsp?teamPosCode=3&statType=1&timeFrame=1&c_id=mlb&statSet1=2&sitSplit=&venueID=&section1=1&subScope=pos&baseballScope=mlb&timeSubFrame=2009&&sortByStat=OPS

I'm not saying Cabrera's worth the price, but you do realize 2 ABs
is not qualifying for anything other than not mattering in any way. 
A good rule of thumb that you might consider using is any list that
says Justin Huber is the 4th best 1B in the MLB is wrong.

Lee will be 34 and has a career 125 OPS+
Fatty will be 27 and has a career 140 OPS+

I like Lee, he's under contract, no way in the world the Cubs get
Cabrera, so it's a silly topic.

But to call him the 12th best 1B in the league is crazy crazy crazy
crazy sauce.

I didn't say he was the 12th best,  I was trying to say that there were 12 first basemen with more than 500 PAs (qualifying) that were over .900 OPS.   What he gives you is not completely irreplaceable.   

My comment was entirely based on whether or not I (as a GM) would want him on my team for $20M.  The answer is still no.

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #153 on: October 05, 2009, 11:38:29 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 09:02:55 PM
My comment was entirely based on whether or not I (as a GM) would want him on my team for $20M.  The answer is still no.

Fair, I can't argue against whether you as a hypothetical GM would want him on your
hypothetical team.  I will note that fangraphs puts him being worth an average of
$21 million a year over the last 5.  And that's not factoring that you always pay more
for players past arbitration.

I think the closest you could do as far as a comparable player is Teixeira, the two of
them have crazy similar numbers over the last 5 years.  Teixeira got 22.5M a year
compared to Miguel's 19M.  And Cabrara is 3 years younger.

Obviously it would be better to have Evan Longoria on your hypothetical team, but
since we're not Weebs deciding to do a draft for his MLB2K10 league, it's not a
reasonable comparison. 

Cabrera's contract fits well into the good side of baseball deals.

Dave B

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #154 on: October 06, 2009, 08:28:04 AM »
Yeah, not much to worry about here:

Tigers warned Cabrera after bar altercation in August, reports show
Mike Martindale / The Detroit News
Birmingham -- During an altercation at a Birmingham bar in August, Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera allegedly mocked a teenager about his weight and challenged a man to a fight in an incident that resulted in no criminal charges but prompted Tigers management to order Cabrera to avoid the bar, according to information provided to The Detroit News.

But Cabrera apparently returned to the Townsend on Saturday, police said, in the hours before he returned home drunk and got into a fight with his wife that prompted a call to police. Cabrera was taken from the home by police but not charged.

A representative of the Tigers told police that Cabrera admitted he lost his composure on Aug. 31 in the Rugby Grille at the Townsend Hotel and blamed it on his recent batting woes and marital troubles with his wife. He had just gone 1 for 14 against Tampa Bay and told Tigers officials his wife had returned to their native Venezuela.
"Irritatin', ain't it?"- Ernest T. Bass

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #155 on: October 06, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »
Quote from: Dave B on October 06, 2009, 08:28:04 AM

Birmingham -- During an altercation at a Birmingham bar in August, Detroit Tigers slugger Miguel Cabrera allegedly mocked a teenager about his weight and challenged a man to a fight in an incident that resulted in no criminal charges but prompted Tigers management to order Cabrera to avoid the bar, according to information provided to The Detroit News.

But Cabrera apparently returned to the Townsend on Saturday, police said, in the hours before he returned home drunk and got into a fight with his wife that prompted a call to police. Cabrera was taken from the home by police but not charged.

A representative of the Tigers told police that Cabrera admitted he lost his composure on Aug. 31 in the Rugby Grille at the Townsend Hotel and blamed it on his recent batting woes and marital troubles with his wife. He had just gone 1 for 14 against Tampa Bay and told Tigers officials his wife had returned to their native Venezuela.

It's ridiculous that the Townsend hotel didn't put up a celebrity after they had a good time at their bar.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #156 on: October 06, 2009, 09:11:42 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 06, 2009, 09:08:30 AM

It's ridiculous that the Townsend hotel didn't put up a celebrity after they had a good time at their bar.

What is a major league player doing in Birmingham in August?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #157 on: October 06, 2009, 09:14:59 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 06, 2009, 09:11:42 AM

If it's Mark Prior, he's visiting Dr. Andrews.

But I assume this was Birmingham, Michigan.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #158 on: October 06, 2009, 09:15:14 AM »

Birmingham's an upscale suburb of a Detroit, dum-dum.  
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #159 on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 06, 2009, 09:15:14 AM

Gazoo?`

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #160 on: October 06, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »

I'd hate to see any suburb that's downscale from Detroit.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #161 on: October 06, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »
Quote from: Fork on October 06, 2009, 09:25:41 AM

Have you been to Birmingham, it's got serious zazz. It's a very rich area.
What am I talking about, you've probably had some cool experiences there that hopefully you can share with us.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #162 on: October 06, 2009, 09:39:18 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 06, 2009, 09:30:08 AM
Quote from: Fork on October 06, 2009, 09:25:41 AM

Have you been to Birmingham, it's got serious zazz. It's a very rich area.
What am I talking about, you've probably had some cool experiences there that hopefully you can share with us.

I partied in Hamtramck.
TIME TO POST!

Andy

• Head Moran
  • Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #163 on: October 06, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
I thought the reason athletes went to bars in hotels was so they had a convenient place to bang skanks and to crash when they got their blood-alcohol level up around .300?

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #164 on: October 06, 2009, 11:18:09 AM »
Quote from: Andy on October 06, 2009, 10:19:25 AM
I thought the reason athletes went to bars in hotels was so they had a convenient place to bang skanks and to crash when they got their blood-alcohol level up around .300?

BAC is a bullshit stat.

I still rate ballplayers the traditional way: beers slammed plus skanks batted in.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?