News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twins SPLOOGEFEST  ( 58,349 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twins SPLOOGEFEST
« Reply #165 on: October 06, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 06, 2009, 11:18:09 AM
Quote from: Andy on October 06, 2009, 10:19:25 AM
I thought the reason athletes went to bars in hotels was so they had a convenient place to bang skanks and to crash when they got their blood-alcohol level up around .300?

BAC is a bullshit stat.

I still rate ballplayers the traditional way: beers slammed plus skanks batted in.

Don't forget ribbies.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #166 on: October 06, 2009, 01:09:17 PM »
Quote from: Pre on October 05, 2009, 11:38:29 PM
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 05, 2009, 09:02:55 PM
My comment was entirely based on whether or not I (as a GM) would want him on my team for $20M.  The answer is still no.

Fair, I can't argue against whether you as a hypothetical GM would want him on your
hypothetical team.  I will note that fangraphs puts him being worth an average of
$21 million a year over the last 5.  And that's not factoring that you always pay more
for players past arbitration.

I think the closest you could do as far as a comparable player is Teixeira, the two of
them have crazy similar numbers over the last 5 years.  Teixeira got 22.5M a year
compared to Miguel's 19M.  And Cabrara is 3 years younger.

Obviously it would be better to have Evan Longoria on your hypothetical team, but
since we're not Weebs deciding to do a draft for his MLB2K10 league, it's not a
reasonable comparison. 

Cabrera's contract fits well into the good side of baseball deals.

He's a very, very good hitter.   The argument could be made that he's worth $20M if he went about his business like Derrek Lee.  But he doesn't.

I think that if this was his contract year, considering the weight issues he's had...and factoring his off-field behavior...most GMs (not all) would say "You know, I'm not real excited about committing my money to this for seven years.  I'll go after Nick Johnson and spend less than half the money." 

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #167 on: October 06, 2009, 01:17:17 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 06, 2009, 01:09:17 PM
My comment was entirely based on whether or not I (as a GM) would want him on my team for $20M.  The answer is still no.

Fair, I can't argue against whether you as a hypothetical GM would want him on your
hypothetical team.  I will note that fangraphs puts him being worth an average of
$21 million a year over the last 5.  And that's not factoring that you always pay more

I think the closest you could do as far as a comparable player is Teixeira, the two of
them have crazy similar numbers over the last 5 years.  Teixeira got 22.5M a year

Obviously it would be better to have Evan Longoria on your hypothetical team, but
reasonable comparison. 

He's a very, very good hitter.   The argument could be made that he's worth $20M if he went about his business like Derrek Lee.  But he doesn't.

I think that if this was his contract year, considering the weight issues he's had...and factoring his off-field behavior...most GMs (not all) would say "You know, I'm not real excited about committing my money to this for seven years.  I'll go after Nick Johnson and spend less than half the money." 

... and get less than half the player.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #168 on: October 06, 2009, 01:24:30 PM »

reasonable comparison. 

And that's why we have teams like the Nationals.

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2009, 01:42:41 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 06, 2009, 01:17:17 PM

reasonable comparison. 

I could gladly live with someone who has a .400 OBP every season.   

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
Quote from: Lance Dicksons Arm on October 06, 2009, 01:42:41 PM

reasonable comparison. 

That's great for the 74 games he plays a year.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2009, 01:47:42 PM »

reasonable comparison. 

Injuries be damned?

EDIT: Eli faced me.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #172 on: October 06, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
Quote from: Eli on October 06, 2009, 01:47:10 PM

reasonable comparison. 

Throw in some mental problems and he's practically Milton Bradley!

ChuckD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2009, 02:30:24 PM »
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 02:05:20 PM

reasonable comparison. 

Ok, this gives me an idea. We trade Milton to the Marlins for Nick Johnson. Then the Marlins trade Milton to the Tigers for half of Miguel Cabrera. We lure the other half of Cabrera away (Veal/Landrum/Patton/Miles ottagetter done) from the Tigers. Then we take our half of Cabrera and Nick Johnson, and trade it back to the Tigers for Milton and Veal and Landrum and a million dollars. Then, the Tigers can trade Nick Johnson to some place warm where he can be productive. My guess would be Florida. Not sure on the price. Maybe the other half of Miguel Cabrera (?).

Phase 3: Progit

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2009, 02:39:21 PM »
CD is a sage

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2009, 02:50:57 PM »
Quote from: ChuckD on October 06, 2009, 02:30:24 PM
Quote from: CT III on October 06, 2009, 02:05:20 PM

reasonable comparison. 

Ok, this gives me an idea. We trade Milton to the Marlins for Nick Johnson. Then the Marlins trade Milton to the Tigers for half of Miguel Cabrera. We lure the other half of Cabrera away (Veal/Landrum/Patton/Miles ottagetter done) from the Tigers. Then we take our half of Cabrera and Nick Johnson, and trade it back to the Tigers for Milton and Veal and Landrum and a million dollars. Then, the Tigers can trade Nick Johnson to some place warm where he can be productive. My guess would be Florida. Not sure on the price. Maybe the other half of Miguel Cabrera (?).

Phase 3: Progit

Prequel: Fontenot to the Pirates for Veal.  WHAT A DEAL
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:25 PM »
Chip Caray pointed out that Scott Baker got a lineout for THE MOST IMPORTANT of the first five outs he got.  What a fucking skidmark.

And the drunk just hit a two-run bomb to make it 3-0 Detroit.  They're dancing with PenFoe in their war-torn streets.
Hire Jim Essian!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2009, 04:50:41 PM »
Cabrera still has some leftover ANGER.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2009, 04:51:20 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 06, 2009, 04:50:25 PM
Chip Caray pointed out that Scott Baker got a lineout for THE MOST IMPORTANT of the first five outs he got.  What a fucking skidmark.

And the drunk just hit a two-run bomb to make it 3-0 Detroit.  They're dancing with PenFoe in their war-torn streets.

He only has 6-7 to go before he can be excused for his behavior.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2009, 04:59:13 PM »
Chip Caray insults the entire organization by calling Tolbert (.228/.301/.306/.607 !!!!) a "prototypical Twins player".