News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twins SPLOOGEFEST  ( 58,401 )

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Twins SPLOOGEFEST
« Reply #240 on: October 07, 2009, 08:29:49 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 07, 2009, 02:14:44 PM
Chip Caray in 1951:

"Bobby Thomson the batter. Branca's pitch... A high pop fly to left, that should be caught. Honesty compels me to say that was a poor at-bat by Bobby Thomson, folks. And it's GONE! The Giants win to even the series up."

Chip Caray in 1954:

"BELTED DEEP into center field... Mays won't get that. And the Indians will take the lead! Doby will score and Rosen will score! 4-2 Cleveland!"

Chip Caray in 1969:
"Holtzman's pitch to Aaron... BELTED Deep into Left Field. Waveland Avenue Time for Hank Aaron. All Billy Williams can do is look up as this will cost Holtzman the no-hitter, the shutout and the LEAD! HAMMERIN' HANK puts the HOT in HOTLANTA for the Brav-os! And Williams makes the catch."

Chip Caray in 1975:
"Fisk swings and hits a long fly ball foul down the left-field line. As we wait for Darcy to get a new ball and for Fisk to get back into the box, let me tell you about me having dinner with the Cubs' No. 3 starter last night. This guy knows a lot about baseball, but as usual stuck me with the check. And the Red Sox have won."

Chip Caray in 1986:
"Ground ball to first. Buckner has it and steps on first to retire Mookie Wilson and we'll play one more inning at Shea Stadium. Knight will score!"

Good stuff.

I can't believe we got through that game (because these situations both applied) without mentions of "bonus panels" and "Give em what they earn". 

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #241 on: October 09, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »
Nice play, Johnny Damon.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #242 on: October 09, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »
Nice pitch, Joe Nathan.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #243 on: October 09, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
Fuck Pay-Rod.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #244 on: October 09, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 09, 2009, 08:34:10 PM
Nice pitch, Joe Nathan.

He grooved that fastball Teixeira hit for a single, too.  Yikes.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #245 on: October 09, 2009, 09:21:32 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 09, 2009, 08:35:05 PM
Fuck Pay-Rod.

Pay-Rod? Is it because he gets paid a lot?

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #246 on: October 09, 2009, 09:47:32 PM »
The Twins have no excuse for not winning that game.  Ugh.
Hire Jim Essian!

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2009, 12:23:10 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 09, 2009, 09:47:32 PM

Well, the left-field ump missing an obvious call on Mauer's double is a pretty damned convenient one...even if you're also right.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2009, 12:42:34 AM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 10, 2009, 12:23:10 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 09, 2009, 09:47:32 PM

Well, the left-field ump missing an obvious call on Mauer's double is a pretty damned convenient one...even if you're also right.

That was an Angel Hernandezesque display of gross incompetence. Or Phil Cuzzi is behind on his mortgage payments.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
If you believe that the ensuing at bats would have turned out exactly the same if the ball had been called fair, as I don't, then the Yanks would have led off with a game-tying homer anyway and probably won no matter what. I'm rooting for the best series and Series possible. So go Yanks.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 10, 2009, 01:02:16 PM
If you believe that the ensuing at bats would have turned out exactly the same if the ball had been called fair, as I don't, then the Yanks would have led off with a game-tying homer anyway and probably won no matter what. I'm rooting for the best series and Series possible. So go Yanks.

I don't care either way about this series, but I just wanted to point out your inconsistency of asserting that a different call may have yielded different at-bats subsequent to the call, while ignoring that the homerun at-bat in the bottom of the inning would have still been a homerun under different circumstances.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2009, 02:03:17 PM »
Quote from: MAD on October 10, 2009, 01:06:37 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 10, 2009, 01:02:16 PM

I don't care either way about this series, but I just wanted to point out your inconsistency of asserting that a different call may have yielded different at-bats subsequent to the call, while ignoring that the homerun at-bat in the bottom of the inning would have still been a homerun under different circumstances.

You just blew my mind.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
Instant replay in baseball.  Get it done, Selig.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on October 10, 2009, 04:50:24 PM
Instant replay in baseball.  Get it done, Selig.

For real.  Just stick a guy up there in the booth to overrule obvious oversights.  If people watching on TV can tell a call was wrong after 3 replays and 21 seconds, then just change the daggum call.  Technology can be everyone's friend.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #254 on: October 11, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »
I know nobody agrees, but I'd rather keep the occasional blown calls due to human error than start waiting 5 minutes for replay officials to overturn calls that everyone watching on TV can tell was wrong after 3 replays and 21 seconds.