News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Twins SPLOOGEFEST  ( 58,354 )

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Twins SPLOOGEFEST
« Reply #270 on: October 12, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on October 12, 2009, 02:13:02 PM
Quote from: Simmer on October 12, 2009, 01:53:31 PM
I had no idea this stadium was being built without a roof.  I just assumed "yeah, it will have a roof".  The Twins should be able to complete about 147 games out of their schedule next year.

I have a feeling they're not going to be as competitive anymore.  Sure, they're a great ballclub, but the Metrodome was probably the biggest homefield advantage in all of baseball.  Since 2000, their winning percentage at home is .587 as compared to .478 on the road.

So what?  That averages out to 86 wins a season, and I don't even think the home and away numbers are THAT drastic of a split.  For the past two seasons, the Red Sox have been .691 at home and .481 on the road.  In '07, they were .630 and .556.  Our CUBBIEZ were .575 at home and .457 on the road this year, and aren't all those grueling day games supposed to be a DISadvantage?  Christ, even the Pirates were .494 at home and .275 (wow) on the road, and there's nothing quirky about PNC that should give them an advantage.

I don't get this Weebs analysis at all.  But seriously, though, feel free to jump off the bandTWINgon now.
Hire Jim Essian!

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: October 12, 2009, 03:18:40 PM »
I had no idea this stadium was being built without a roof.  I just assumed "yeah, it will have a roof".  The Twins should be able to complete about 147 games out of their schedule next year.

From what I've read, the Twins did a cost-benefit analysis of adding a roof, and it costs around $10k to open and shut the roof each time.  Looking at long-term weather trends, the average number of games that would be canceled to weather didn't even out the overall costs of operating the roof.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: October 12, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on October 12, 2009, 03:05:42 PM

I have a feeling they're not going to be as competitive anymore.  Sure, they're a great ballclub, but the Metrodome was probably the biggest homefield advantage in all of baseball.  Since 2000, their winning percentage at home is .587 as compared to .478 on the road.

So what?  That averages out to 86 wins a season, and I don't even think the home and away numbers are THAT drastic of a split.  For the past two seasons, the Red Sox have been .691 at home and .481 on the road.  In '07, they were .630 and .556.  Our CUBBIEZ were .575 at home and .457 on the road this year, and aren't all those grueling day games supposed to be a DISadvantage?  Christ, even the Pirates were .494 at home and .275 (wow) on the road, and there's nothing quirky about PNC that should give them an advantage.

I don't get this Weebs analysis at all.  But seriously, though, feel free to jump off the bandTWINgon now.

?
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
Quote from: CubFaninHydePark on October 12, 2009, 03:18:40 PM

From what I've read, the Twins did a cost-benefit analysis of adding a roof, and it costs around $10k to open and shut the roof each time.  Looking at long-term weather trends, the average number of games that would be canceled to weather didn't even out the overall costs of operating the roof.

Just leave it closed in April then. 
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: October 12, 2009, 03:55:56 PM »
Dumb people did that cost analysis.

Canceled games (rarely) cost the home team much money at all.  They do day/night
double headers instead of the fun kind (for fans).  What does cost a lot of money is
no one wanting to go to your games early in the season because it's fucking freezing
out and they know there will be another 70+ home games coming up.

I guess Miller Park will be the ultimate winner when Bud makes the Twins use it for
playoff games.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: October 12, 2009, 04:37:48 PM »
Quote from: Pre on October 12, 2009, 03:55:56 PM
Dumb people did that cost analysis.

Canceled games (rarely) cost the home team much money at all.  They do day/night
double headers instead of the fun kind (for fans).  What does cost a lot of money is
no one wanting to go to your games early in the season because it's fucking freezing
out and they know there will be another 70+ home games coming up.

I guess Miller Park will be the ultimate winner when Bud makes the Twins use it for
playoff games.

Given the % of tickets they're selling to season-ticket holders, I don't think it's going to cost them much $$.  Unlike Pissburgh, there's a strong enough base of fan support to sell the season tickets.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: October 13, 2009, 07:38:52 PM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on October 12, 2009, 02:45:48 PM
I had no idea this stadium was being built without a roof.  I just assumed "yeah, it will have a roof".  The Twins should be able to complete about 147 games out of their schedule next year.

The Twins have only been playing in the Metrodome since 2000?

To pick another arbitrary timeframe, between 1990 and 1999 they were .483 at home and .442 on the road.

They're also 1-9 in their last 3 playoff appearances.  What are we doing here?  I'm not sure, but you guys sure know how to pick 'em.  If you're gonna make out with a chick(Twins) at a bar while your wife(cubs) stays home with the flu, then at least pick out a hot chick(Dodgers or Yankees, this year).
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: November 23, 2009, 01:12:21 PM »
Joe Mauer almost sweeps the AL MVP except for some idiot who gave Miguel Cabrera a first-place vote.  Pen is probably proud.  You disgust me.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:25 PM »
Quote from: C-C-Cats on November 23, 2009, 01:12:21 PM
Joe Mauer almost sweeps the AL MVP except for some idiot who gave Miguel Cabrera a first-place vote.  Pen is probably proud.  You disgust me.

If the stupid Twins had any money to spend, they'd be the ones cursing Mark Prior.

But nooo...they had to be cheapskates and up end with a future HOF catcher instead.

So fuck the Twins, fuck Joe Mauer and bravo to whoever realized that their MVP vote would spread joy and hope throughout the great AMERICAN city of Detroit.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: November 23, 2009, 01:29:17 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on November 23, 2009, 01:28:25 PM
Quote from: C-C-Cats on November 23, 2009, 01:12:21 PM

If the stupid Twins had any money to spend, they'd be the ones cursing Mark Prior.

But nooo...they had to be cheapskates and up end with a future HOF catcher instead.

So fuck the Twins, fuck Joe Mauer and bravo to whoever realized that their MVP vote would spread joy and hope throughout the great AMERICAN city of Detroit.

Maybe they were hoping Cabrera would buy a couple rounds.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2009, 10:27:49 AM »
"According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Miguel Cabrera might be as available as any other Tigers player this winter.
The Tigers need to cut payroll and are shopping all of their superstars this offseason. Cabrera is by far the most talented played in Detroit, but he'll also command the largest (and most talented) chunk of prospects. The 26-year-old hit .324/.396/.547 in 2009 with 34 homers, 34 doubles and 103 RBI. He finished fourth in this year's American League MVP voting.
Source: Detroit News "

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2009, 10:36:33 AM »
Quote from: BH on November 24, 2009, 10:27:49 AM
"According to Lynn Henning of the Detroit News, Miguel Cabrera might be as available as any other Tigers player this winter.
The Tigers need to cut payroll and are shopping all of their superstars this offseason. Cabrera is by far the most talented played in Detroit, but he'll also command the largest (and most talented) chunk of prospects. The 26-year-old hit .324/.396/.547 in 2009 with 34 homers, 34 doubles and 103 RBI. He finished fourth in this year's American League MVP voting.

Miguel and Granderson ($105mm) for Soriano and Bradley ($118.6mm) plus $50 million in cash and a prospect or two.

In my dreams.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »

It'd be great from a talent standpoint, but I don't know where Cabrera would play.  He hasn't played the outfield since 70 pounds ago.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2009, 11:03:51 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 24, 2009, 10:54:45 AM

It'd be great from a talent standpoint, but I don't know where Cabrera would play.  He hasn't played the outfield since 70 pounds ago.

1.  Chuck's fantasy scenario.
2.  Move DLee for Erick Aybar.
6.  Profit.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2009, 11:10:45 AM »
Put D Lee in Left. Sniff some glue. Trade Marmol, Vitters, Castro, the statue of Ernie Banks and Zambrano to Detroit for Granderson. Profit.