News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Larry Rothschild can eat a bag of dicks  ( 17,476 )

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Larry Rothschild can eat a bag of dicks
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2010, 02:17:30 PM »
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 03, 2010, 02:14:10 PM
Quote from: MAD on May 03, 2010, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 03, 2010, 12:39:00 PM
Quote from: Yeti on May 03, 2010, 11:53:38 AM
I'm with RV on the "specialty coaches are irrelevant" bandwagon. Like Mike Douche said, there are a few people who seem to have to done wonders with people, like Mazzone and Duncan, but those are few and far between. It all comes down to the players. Rothschild has had some quality pitching staffs, and my point that he's been more good than bad is more of a contention of people to say he sucks. I'd positive the "he's average" assessment. Larr's alright in my book. He hasn't killed the players, something Dave Duncan can't say.

Has Mazzone really done anything, honestly?  When he had Hall-of-Famers Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine, he was a genius.  When he had bad staffs in Baltimore, they continued being bad.

You could argue that he helped develop Glavine and Smoltz.  He got a 20 win season out of Deanny Neagle. He kind of turned around Mike Hampton after the latter's abortion in Denver.  He managed to squeeze some juice out of the rotting corpses of Shane Reynolds and John Burkett.  Kevin Millpool also seemed to have his best seasons in Atlanta.  Got a good year out of Damian Moss before he disappeared.  On the other hand, Leo didn't do much with Jason Marquis and Odalis Perez, two guys who enjoyed better success after leaving him.

And certainly, Leo's experience in Maryland rubbed a lot of luster off his accomplishments, but then again, Baltimore seems to have developed as a true vortex of suck these days.  I still think Mazzone was a very effective coach for Atlanta but who knows?  Maybe he was just lucky.

Good stuff.  I was legitimately asking, not being snarky.

The performance of Baltimore's pitching staff after Mazzone arrived definitely warrants the question.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2010, 02:33:09 PM »
Quote from: MAD on May 03, 2010, 02:17:30 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 03, 2010, 02:14:10 PM
Quote from: MAD on May 03, 2010, 01:05:54 PM
Quote from: Kermit IV on May 03, 2010, 12:39:00 PM
Quote from: Yeti on May 03, 2010, 11:53:38 AM
I'm with RV on the "specialty coaches are irrelevant" bandwagon. Like Mike Douche said, there are a few people who seem to have to done wonders with people, like Mazzone and Duncan, but those are few and far between. It all comes down to the players. Rothschild has had some quality pitching staffs, and my point that he's been more good than bad is more of a contention of people to say he sucks. I'd positive the "he's average" assessment. Larr's alright in my book. He hasn't killed the players, something Dave Duncan can't say.

Has Mazzone really done anything, honestly?  When he had Hall-of-Famers Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine, he was a genius.  When he had bad staffs in Baltimore, they continued being bad.

You could argue that he helped develop Glavine and Smoltz.  He got a 20 win season out of Deanny Neagle. He kind of turned around Mike Hampton after the latter's abortion in Denver.  He managed to squeeze some juice out of the rotting corpses of Shane Reynolds and John Burkett.  Kevin Millpool also seemed to have his best seasons in Atlanta.  Got a good year out of Damian Moss before he disappeared.  On the other hand, Leo didn't do much with Jason Marquis and Odalis Perez, two guys who enjoyed better success after leaving him.

And certainly, Leo's experience in Maryland rubbed a lot of luster off his accomplishments, but then again, Baltimore seems to have developed as a true vortex of suck these days.  I still think Mazzone was a very effective coach for Atlanta but who knows?  Maybe he was just lucky.

Good stuff.  I was legitimately asking, not being snarky.

The performance of Baltimore's pitching staff after Mazzone arrived definitely warrants the question.

I was worried because when I mentioned him I was basing it off of Huey's good word.. And then I thought I was about to be burnt. Fucking mick bastards.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2010, 06:43:42 PM »
I think pitching coaches do matter. Mechanics don't teach themselves. Players don't learn when/where to throw certain stuff on their own unless they're super sharp tacks, the sharpest of whom go on to be pitching coaches. I think hitting coaches are more interchangeable than pitching coaches, as most of hitting is respond/react and I don't think you can really teach that. Hitting mechanics are more about doing less in almost every case. Pitching is different, case-by-case.

Any slapdick could get his guys on a program, building up arm strength and running on the warning track. But one tiny flaw in a pitchers mechanics turn the whole fucking thing upside down. Carlos Marmol is a perfect fucking example. Pitching is fucking hard but when your arm is so live that your pitches move like Marmol's do, shit has to be precise or else fuckall.

I'm right. Don't bother to post unless to say THIS.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 03, 2010, 06:43:42 PM
I think pitching coaches do matter. Mechanics don't teach themselves. Players don't learn when/where to throw certain stuff on their own unless they're super sharp tacks, the sharpest of whom go on to be pitching coaches. I think hitting coaches are more interchangeable than pitching coaches, as most of hitting is respond/react and I don't think you can really teach that. Hitting mechanics are more about doing less in almost every case. Pitching is different, case-by-case.

Any slapdick could get his guys on a program, building up arm strength and running on the warning track. But one tiny flaw in a pitchers mechanics turn the whole fucking thing upside down. Carlos Marmol is a perfect fucking example. Pitching is fucking hard but when your arm is so live that your pitches move like Marmol's do, shit has to be precise or else fuckall.

So where do you stand on Rothschild?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on May 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM

I've been a firmly established member of the meh camp since about 2002. He's had some success with some guys I didn't think were that great and he's failed with some guys that I thought had the goods. Overall the numbers are decent. If I were around him every day to see what he does and how guys react to him, I'd obviously know more and probably have a strong opinion either way. If he were gone tomorrow, I doubt we'd miss him.

RedBeard

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 03, 2010, 06:47:27 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on May 03, 2010, 06:46:00 PM

I've been a firmly established member of the meh camp since about 2002. He's had some success with some guys I didn't think were that great and he's failed with some guys that I thought had the goods. Overall the numbers are decent. If I were around him every day to see what he does and how guys react to him, I'd obviously know more and probably have a strong opinion either way. If he were gone tomorrow, I doubt we'd miss him.

THIS

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »

APEX IS RIGHT.  The Cubs do need a guy like Greg Maddux as their pitching coach.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 03, 2010, 09:43:00 PM

APEX IS RIGHT.  The Cubs do need a guy like Greg Maddux as their pitching coach.

Texas has a guy almost exactly like him RIGHT NOW! Throw $800K at him and RIGHT THAT WRONG!!!!!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2010, 10:58:56 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 03, 2010, 10:45:05 PM

Texas has a guy almost exactly like him RIGHT NOW! Throw $800K at him and RIGHT THAT WRONG!!!!!

Or they could just bring Maddux out of the front office and make him pitching coach.  They could even take his flag down from the foul pole and give him 31 back.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2010, 11:06:07 PM »
Quote from: CT III on May 03, 2010, 10:58:56 PM
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 03, 2010, 10:45:05 PM

APEX IS RIGHT.  The Cubs do need a guy like Greg Maddux as their pitching coach.

Or they could just bring Maddux out of the front office and make him pitching coach.  They could even take his flag down from the foul pole and give him 31 back.

I'm sure he's just dying to sit around on the bench all day talking to Lou and Carlos Silva.

RYNO FOR MANIJER MADDOG FOR PICHING COACH SARGE HITTING COACH JOBE ORWOSKY BULLPINCOACH JODEE DAVISS CATCHING COACH MARK GRACE FIRSTBASSE COACH

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »
DPD.

I actually wonder what kind of GM Greg Maddux would be. If he gets hired to do anything it's going to be something with prestige and a real salary. Then maybe he hires his brother as pitching coach and there you fucking go, fanboy. He'll have all the input you want him to have on that job.

But nobody with anywhere near the success Maddux had in the modern era with the salaries these guys made wants to tool around as a fucking pitching coach, getting yelled at by some old cuss like Lou or Bobby Cox or some cunt like the Genius. It's like hiring Bill Clinton to be your press secretary. That shit just aint gonna hai.

If the Cubs fire Hendry and hire Maddux and Sandberg next year, shit will be pretty interesting for sure. Maddux would probably have the balls to shitcan Ryno too if shit wasn't working out.

And if Maddux made the Cubs into a winner, I could resume to my early teen-aged fanboy roots of worshipping the ground he walks on and finally bury the keys to my Tribune HATEMOBILE once and for all.

RIGHT THIS WROOOOOOOOONG RICKETTS!!!!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2010, 10:11:44 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 04, 2010, 10:03:57 AM
If the Cubs fire Hendry and hire Maddux and Sandberg next year, shit will be pretty interesting for sure. Maddux would probably have the balls to shitcan Ryno too if shit wasn't working out.

Ah.  The BCB dream scenario.

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:48 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on May 04, 2010, 10:11:44 AM

BCB'ers dream of Ryno getting fired? Wow, they've gotten jaded over there since I last accidentally visited.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2010, 10:16:38 AM »

The BCB dream scenario has them coming out of retirement and leading the CUBBIEZ to the WORLD SERIOUS, where RYNO hits the ball into the lights like he's Roy Motherfucking Hobbs. They'll even put some lights in fair territory to make this shit hai.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2010, 10:22:31 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on May 04, 2010, 10:13:48 AM

BCB'ers dream of Ryno getting fired? Wow, they've gotten jaded over there since I last accidentally visited.

Al got fired by ABC 7, so...