News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver  ( 2,055 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
« on: February 16, 2016, 07:04:26 PM »
This show is possibly the best satire and topical/political humor on television. Especially with the sad demise of Colbert (seriously that show is everyman-catering trash now) and the replacement of Jon Stewart on the Daily Show with Trevor Noah, who is only fine at best and obnoxious at worst.

Sadly I don't have cable and TBS won't let you stream without authentication (assholes) so I can't watch Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, but the clips I saw on YouTube are excellent.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 07:50:46 PM »
Oliver is definitely king now.

Larry Wilmore has worked himself into a nice groove and I like him, and his format now. Before, it was too Maher-y in 22-24 minutes of airtime.

Noah is fine but I'm not in love with it.

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Full Frontal (there's something to be said about the weekly shows). She will likely provide a more appropriate voice on women's issues. I'm in so far.

Colbert is definitely a sad change. I watch mainly his desk piece each episode and only catch a guest if I find them interesting. Definitely low on my watch list. I will say, though, he has had some good interviews. His interview with Biden was fantastic.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 08:22:29 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on February 16, 2016, 07:50:46 PM

Larry Wilmore has worked himself into a nice groove and I like him, and his format now. Before, it was too Maher-y in 22-24 minutes of airtime.

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Full Frontal (there's something to be said about the weekly shows). She will likely provide a more appropriate voice on women's issues. I'm in so far.

Colbert is definitely a sad change. I watch mainly his desk piece each episode and only catch a guest if I find them interesting. Definitely low on my watch list. I will say, though, he has had some good interviews. His interview with Biden was fantastic.

I find Larry Wilmore aggressively unfunny, so that's out for me unfortunately. He tries so, so hard for laughs ("amirite?"). It hurts to watch. I gave him two weeks. Not even the promos are funny.

Oliver has been reliably killing it for 2+ years now. He was great subbing on the Daily Show too.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 08:31:46 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on February 16, 2016, 08:22:29 PM

I find Larry Wilmore aggressively unfunny, so that's out for me unfortunately. He tries so, so hard for laughs ("amirite?"). It hurts to watch. I gave him two weeks. Not even the promos are funny.

Oliver has been reliably killing it for 2+ years now. He was great subbing on the Daily Show too.

All of this. Oliver is the man.

I hope somewhere down the road W. Kamau Bell gets another shot.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 12:46:34 PM »

Larry Wilmore's chuckling at his own jokes drives me up the wall.  John Oliver's most recent show was one of the funniest things that I have ever seen on TV.  (The one where the New Zealand politician gets hit in the face with a rubber penis).  In my dotage I am reverting to the sense of humor of a 12 year old.
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 12:54:42 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on February 17, 2016, 12:46:34 PM

Larry Wilmore's chuckling at his own jokes drives me up the wall.  John Oliver's most recent show was one of the funniest things that I have ever seen on TV.  (The one where the New Zealand politician gets hit in the face with a rubber penis).  In my dotage I am reverting to the sense of humor of a 12 year old.

Dildo Baggins is a winner.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:01:44 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on February 17, 2016, 12:54:42 PM

His whole "Our Lady Of Perpetual Exemption" gag last season was outstanding.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on February 17, 2016, 01:01:44 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on February 17, 2016, 12:54:42 PM

His whole "Our Lady Of Perpetual Exemption" gag last season was outstanding.

Praise be!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 03:48:14 AM »
Tonight's main story (the infamous Trump wall) was kind of a dud, for the first time in a while. They can't all be home runs.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 08:38:32 AM »
Quote from: Saul Goodman on March 21, 2016, 03:48:14 AM
Tonight's main story (the infamous Trump wall) was kind of a dud, for the first time in a while. They can't all be home runs.

Think he needs to take a week or two off from the Drumpf mine. His audience already knows how ludicrous it all is.
TIME TO POST!