News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,685 )

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #525 on: August 04, 2015, 10:02:19 PM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 09:34:17 PM
Quote from: PANK! on August 04, 2015, 09:30:03 PM
Quote from: Slaky on August 04, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
But anyway Baez.

If Castro is actually back--not that I'm saying he is after he finally looked like the hitter we haven't seen all season tonight but work with me here for aminute--then what?  Before Schwarber got called up and proved he doesn't belong in the minors (and before Baez got hurt), I think the idea was to move Bryant to LF and Baez to 3B but I think that train has left the station.  I don't know what value either of those guys (Castro and Bryant) would have on the bench.  Nice problem to have though.

Why would that train have left the station? Put Bryant in left and Javy at third against lefties when Coghlan goes out, or just wait for Coghlan to get shitty again and make the switch. Or platoon Soler/Coghlan in right until Jorge gets hot. I suspect Joe Maddon, infamous lineup tinkerer will find a way to get them all in on a fairly consistent basis. Either way this team should go from having no bench for much of the season to having one of the deepest ones in the sport by September.

So where does Schwarber get his at-bats? Only against righties and only on LF?  It's clear he's not catching everyday. Under this scenario it would seem that Schwarber loses at-bats at the expense of Baez. Unless I'm missing something.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #526 on: August 04, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 04, 2015, 10:02:19 PM
But anyway Baez.

If Castro is actually back--not that I'm saying he is after he finally looked like the hitter we haven't seen all season tonight but work with me here for aminute--then what?  Before Schwarber got called up and proved he doesn't belong in the minors (and before Baez got hurt), I think the idea was to move Bryant to LF and Baez to 3B but I think that train has left the station.  I don't know what value either of those guys (Castro and Bryant) would have on the bench.  Nice problem to have though.

Why would that train have left the station? Put Bryant in left and Javy at third against lefties when Coghlan goes out, or just wait for Coghlan to get shitty again and make the switch. Or platoon Soler/Coghlan in right until Jorge gets hot. I suspect Joe Maddon, infamous lineup tinkerer will find a way to get them all in on a fairly consistent basis. Either way this team should go from having no bench for much of the season to having one of the deepest ones in the sport by September.

So where does Schwarber get his at-bats? Only against righties and only on LF?  It's clear he's not catching everyday. Under this scenario it would seem that Schwarber loses at-bats at the expense of Baez. Unless I'm missing something.

Eh, Joe can play the matchups and the hot hands, rotate guys in and out. He'll figure it out. Feel like Bryant and Russell especially could actually benefit from some days off actually. They've barely had a breather since they came up. Could teach Schwarber to stand at first once every couple of weeks for Tony, too.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #527 on: August 05, 2015, 08:46:48 AM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on August 04, 2015, 09:56:37 PM
But anyway Baez.

So in other words, LeBron James will make them his bitch in the playoffs? That's so Chicago.

That's the pepper.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #528 on: August 05, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 04, 2015, 10:12:00 PM
But anyway Baez.

Eh, Joe can play the matchups and the hot hands, rotate guys in and out. He'll figure it out. Feel like Bryant and Russell especially could actually benefit from some days off actually. They've barely had a breather since they came up. Could teach Schwarber to stand at first once every couple of weeks for Tony, too.

They mentioned on the SCORE this morning that Maddon's trying to give Rizzo a breather here and there but didn't want to do it while he's hitting so hot.  Since there's no natural backup for him at 1st I think plugging Schwarber in there a few times is the answer.  I also would suspect that Maddon has thought of this.  Let's hope so, since Schwarber's bat should really be in that lineup at least 6 out out of every 7 games IMO.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #529 on: August 05, 2015, 08:53:48 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 05, 2015, 08:52:32 AM
But anyway Baez.

They mentioned on the SCORE this morning that Maddon's trying to give Rizzo a breather here and there but didn't want to do it while he's hitting so hot.  Since there's no natural backup for him at 1st I think plugging Schwarber in there a few times is the answer.  I also would suspect that Maddon has thought of this.  Let's hope so, since Schwarber's bat should really be in that lineup at least 6 out out of every 7 games IMO.

I'll settle for 3 of 5 and now I demand we fight to the death over this.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #530 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:20 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 05, 2015, 08:53:48 AM
But anyway Baez.

If Castro is actually back--not that I'm saying he is after he finally looked like the hitter we haven't seen all season tonight but work with me here for aminute--then what?  Before Schwarber got called up and proved he doesn't belong in the minors (and before Baez got hurt), I think the idea was to move Bryant to LF and Baez to 3B but I think that train has left the station.  I don't know what value either of those guys (Castro and Bryant) would have on the bench.  Nice problem to have though.

So where does Schwarber get his at-bats? Only against righties and only on LF?  It's clear he's not catching everyday. Under this scenario it would seem that Schwarber loses at-bats at the expense of Baez. Unless I'm missing something.

They mentioned on the SCORE this morning that Maddon's trying to give Rizzo a breather here and there but didn't want to do it while he's hitting so hot.  Since there's no natural backup for him at 1st I think plugging Schwarber in there a few times is the answer.  I also would suspect that Maddon has thought of this.  Let's hope so, since Schwarber's bat should really be in that lineup at least 6 out out of every 7 games IMO.

4 out of 6 or fight me.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #531 on: August 05, 2015, 09:08:04 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on August 05, 2015, 09:06:20 AM
But anyway Baez.

If Castro is actually back--not that I'm saying he is after he finally looked like the hitter we haven't seen all season tonight but work with me here for aminute--then what?  Before Schwarber got called up and proved he doesn't belong in the minors (and before Baez got hurt), I think the idea was to move Bryant to LF and Baez to 3B but I think that train has left the station.  I don't know what value either of those guys (Castro and Bryant) would have on the bench.  Nice problem to have though.

So where does Schwarber get his at-bats? Only against righties and only on LF?  It's clear he's not catching everyday. Under this scenario it would seem that Schwarber loses at-bats at the expense of Baez. Unless I'm missing something.

They mentioned on the SCORE this morning that Maddon's trying to give Rizzo a breather here and there but didn't want to do it while he's hitting so hot.  Since there's no natural backup for him at 1st I think plugging Schwarber in there a few times is the answer.  I also would suspect that Maddon has thought of this.  Let's hope so, since Schwarber's bat should really be in that lineup at least 6 out out of every 7 games IMO.

4 out of 6 or fight me.

54-40 or fight!

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #532 on: August 05, 2015, 09:15:53 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 05, 2015, 09:08:04 AM
Quote from: PANK! on August 05, 2015, 09:06:20 AM
But anyway Baez.

4 out of 6 or fight me.

54-40 or fight!

This is the worst game of Name That Tune I've ever seen.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #533 on: August 12, 2015, 10:14:10 AM »
August has not been kind to our boy so far.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #534 on: August 12, 2015, 10:20:20 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on August 12, 2015, 10:14:10 AM

He had an 0-18 that sucked, but he only K'd 4 times in those 18 outs, I believe. He also walked 4 times in that stretch if I'm not mistaken. Given the season he's had overall down there I'm not going to worry about a slump that didn't even reach 20 at bats. Think he's had hits in each of his last two games. Overall the K rate is down to 26.1% and hopefully will keep descending.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #535 on: August 12, 2015, 10:21:31 AM »

It's been even worse to Alcantarra. Don't even look.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #536 on: August 12, 2015, 10:24:26 AM »

Huh?

He's walked in about 9% of his PAs.  He only has 12 Ks in those same 47 PAs (~25%) -- not a small number but from Baez, all good.  He only has 4 XBH in those 10 games but that's a pretty small sample (he has 10 hits in those 10 games).

Granted, it's not setting the world on fire but I'll take that over a 10 game stretch that's mostly randomness anyway.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #537 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:53 AM »
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 10:24:26 AM

Huh?

He's walked in about 9% of his PAs.  He only has 12 Ks in those same 47 PAs (~25%) -- not a small number but from Baez, all good.  He only has 4 XBH in those 10 games but that's a pretty small sample (he has 10 hits in those 10 games).

Granted, it's not setting the world on fire but I'll take that over a 10 game stretch that's mostly randomness anyway.

Well and given how insanely hot he was when he first came off the DL a little bit of regression as bound to happen. He went 0-18 and didn't do so by swinging and missing a lot. I'll call that progress.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #538 on: August 12, 2015, 10:30:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on August 12, 2015, 10:27:53 AM
Quote from: Oleg on August 12, 2015, 10:24:26 AM

Huh?

Well and given how insanely hot he was when he first came off the DL a little bit of regression as bound to happen. He went 0-18 and didn't do so by swinging and missing a lot. I'll call that progress.

Wait...4 hitless games?  That's Fork's "not so kind" sample size?  And, in those 4 games, he scored a run in 3 of them.  And, in one of them, he walked twice.

If that's a slump for the kid, it's bonertime.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #539 on: August 12, 2015, 10:34:50 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on August 12, 2015, 10:21:31 AM

It's been even worse to Alcantarra. Don't even look.

2015 has been the pigeon and Mendy's been the statue.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16