News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,690 )

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #630 on: September 09, 2015, 12:03:36 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 09, 2015, 11:31:03 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 09, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
Quote from: Slaky on September 09, 2015, 10:13:17 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 08, 2015, 11:45:16 PM
This guy looks like a different player.  I will eagerly and happily eat my words, that he should've been dealt for Hamels, if this goes like it seems it could.  Fingers crossed because it would be shirtless hugs all around to see him succeed.

I needed to see it as well. It's early days but I'm excited. Javy always has been the most fascinating of the prospects even with Bryant and Schwarber. To add to it, Javy's personal story is pretty incredible.

His hitting will be up and down but the way Joe seems to be using him is taking a ton of pressure off his shoulders and letting him be himself. Remember last year we didn't have Bryant and Schwarber up. There was no Russell. There was no Arrieta. Cub fans were looking at Javy to give them a reason to think 2015 might be a good year. And he probably internalized a ton of that.

God I love Joe Maddon.

I love Joe, too, and he's definitely picked his spots to play Javy, but I think more credit should go to Theo and Jed for this one. Clearly we dipshits that clamored for Javy when Jonathan Herrera was making our eyes bleed should have been more patient, because obviously Javy didn't waste his time in the minors this year. He learned things and his approach is night and day from where it was last year and if they'd called him up before they deemed him ready it might really have wrecked things.

I won't doubt again. They know what they're doing.

Yep. He didn't appear to have learned anything based on his first game back and his AB vs Chapman. But since that...
.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: September 09, 2015, 12:13:02 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 09, 2015, 12:03:36 PM
This guy looks like a different player.  I will eagerly and happily eat my words, that he should've been dealt for Hamels, if this goes like it seems it could.  Fingers crossed because it would be shirtless hugs all around to see him succeed.

I needed to see it as well. It's early days but I'm excited. Javy always has been the most fascinating of the prospects even with Bryant and Schwarber. To add to it, Javy's personal story is pretty incredible.

His hitting will be up and down but the way Joe seems to be using him is taking a ton of pressure off his shoulders and letting him be himself. Remember last year we didn't have Bryant and Schwarber up. There was no Russell. There was no Arrieta. Cub fans were looking at Javy to give them a reason to think 2015 might be a good year. And he probably internalized a ton of that.

God I love Joe Maddon.

I love Joe, too, and he's definitely picked his spots to play Javy, but I think more credit should go to Theo and Jed for this one. Clearly we dipshits that clamored for Javy when Jonathan Herrera was making our eyes bleed should have been more patient, because obviously Javy didn't waste his time in the minors this year. He learned things and his approach is night and day from where it was last year and if they'd called him up before they deemed him ready it might really have wrecked things.

Yep. He didn't appear to have learned anything based on his first game back and his AB vs Chapman. But since that...
.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: September 09, 2015, 12:28:15 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 09, 2015, 12:13:02 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

Yeah, a 6-pitch AB that ran to a full count and didn't end in a K against Chapman. Clearly he was shit on that one.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: September 09, 2015, 01:41:48 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 09, 2015, 12:28:15 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

Yeah, a 6-pitch AB that ran to a full count and didn't end in a K against Chapman. Clearly he was shit on that one.

Alternatively, its Aroldis Frikin Chapman.  I wouldn't find that much significance if he struck out on two pitches against that mutant.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: September 09, 2015, 01:44:09 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on September 09, 2015, 01:41:48 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

Alternatively, its Aroldis Frikin Chapman.  I wouldn't find that much significance if he struck out on two pitches against that mutant.

Yeah but you see there's no way Chuck allowed his confirmation bias to allow him to overreact to one swing, so Javy must have made his adjustments afterwards, clearly.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2015, 02:00:56 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 09, 2015, 01:44:09 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

Yeah but you see there's no way Chuck allowed his confirmation bias to allow him to overreact to one swing, so Javy must have made his adjustments afterwards, clearly.

that swing was obviously not a good one by any stretch of the imagination

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: September 09, 2015, 02:05:31 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 09, 2015, 02:00:56 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

You'll note that in the same post where I said that swing wasn't very good that he was "obviously more patient overall". There's a difference between saying the swing sucked and he "didn't appear to have learned anything"
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #637 on: September 09, 2015, 02:13:29 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 09, 2015, 02:05:31 PM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 09, 2015, 02:00:56 PM

God I love Joe Maddon.

.375 /.444/   .688/1.132    

No, Chuck.

Chuck's gonna Chuck.

You'll note that in the same post where I said that swing wasn't very good that he was "obviously more patient overall". There's a difference between saying the swing sucked and he "didn't appear to have learned anything"

Both sides have a point.

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: September 09, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »
As I'm shaking my head at Chuck's wrongness, I turn around just in time to see Baez get a base hit on an 0-2 count.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: September 09, 2015, 02:53:11 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on September 09, 2015, 02:14:39 PM
As I'm shaking my head at Chuck's wrongness, I turn around just in time to see Baez get a base hit on an 0-2 count.

FYC
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: September 16, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »
Expanding on an offhand Penfoe tweet - and I believe this is something we talked about based on Javy's BMI earlier this year, but I can't seem to find that discussion now - could this be an option for 2016 if Fowler gets a huge 5 year offer? I am also recalling Baez mentioning that CF was his favorite position to play, and based on what he's done at the other infield spots I'm imagining he could be more than competent in the outfield.

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

* Contreras can step in when SKO assassinates Ross
**Also options for improvement via trade or free agency (Kendrick/Zobrist/Heyward/Parra)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #641 on: September 16, 2015, 04:47:04 PM »
Quote from: R-V on September 16, 2015, 04:34:10 PM
Expanding on an offhand Penfoe tweet - and I believe this is something we talked about based on Javy's BMI earlier this year, but I can't seem to find that discussion now - could this be an option for 2016 if Fowler gets a huge 5 year offer? I am also recalling Baez mentioning that CF was his favorite position to play, and based on what he's done at the other infield spots I'm imagining he could be more than competent in the outfield.

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

**Also options for improvement via trade or free agency (Kendrick/Zobrist/Heyward/Parra)

Coghlan in an un-platooned role at second base?  Have you gone mad?
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: September 16, 2015, 05:10:52 PM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 16, 2015, 04:47:04 PM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

Coghlan in an un-platooned role at second base?  Have you gone mad?

Platoon Coghlan with Starlin Castro, Maddon's new Zobrist, this time with 98.76% more FYCs/

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: September 16, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

A Schwarber/Baez/Soler outfield sounds fucking ghastly. Please sign Dexter.
TIME TO POST!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #644 on: September 16, 2015, 06:03:19 PM »
As much as I would love having Ben Zobrist on the Cubs, bringing his wife's smooth listening contemporary Christian stylings to the walkup music rotation, it's probably too crowded of a cheap cost-controlled talent picture next year to pay him what he's probably going to get. No?