News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,726 )

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #645 on: September 16, 2015, 09:40:28 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on September 16, 2015, 06:03:19 PM
As much as I would love having Ben Zobrist on the Cubs, bringing his wife's smooth listening contemporary Christian stylings to the walkup music rotation, it's probably too crowded of a cheap cost-controlled talent picture next year to pay him what he's probably going to get. No?

With all of the guys the Cubs have that can play multiple positions, he seems unnecessary.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #646 on: September 17, 2015, 07:26:22 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on September 16, 2015, 09:40:28 PM
As much as I would love having Ben Zobrist on the Cubs, bringing his wife's smooth listening contemporary Christian stylings to the walkup music rotation, it's probably too crowded of a cheap cost-controlled talent picture next year to pay him what he's probably going to get. No?

With all of the guys the Cubs have that can play multiple positions for a lot less money, he seems unnecessary.

ETAed.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #647 on: September 17, 2015, 08:29:54 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on September 17, 2015, 07:26:22 AM

With all of the guys the Cubs have that can play multiple positions for a lot less money, he seems unnecessary.

ETAed.

And a lot of his value was that he could play multiple infield positions well, which isn't really the case anymore (and will only get worse with him turning 35 next year). Ideally, he'd only be a left fielder this point and that's not going to be worth the contract he gets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #648 on: September 17, 2015, 08:37:25 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 17, 2015, 08:29:54 AM

ETAed.

And a lot of his value was that he could play multiple infield positions well, which isn't really the case anymore (and will only get worse with him turning 35 next year). Ideally, he'd only be a left fielder this point and that's not going to be worth the contract he gets.

Hell, per fWAR Coghlan (3.2) has been better than Zobrist (2.7, albeit in 15 fewer games) anyway, and if Zobrist is just going to be a left fielder he's definitely not a clear upgrade over Coghlan, much as I loathe that guy's face for reasons I just can't even explain.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #649 on: September 17, 2015, 08:51:45 AM »
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Baez compete for SS with Russell in Mesa next year. I think he has a better arm. Russell's a nifty fielder, but I think he may be a 2B if you've got Baez around hitting like a big leaguer. That frees up 3B for Bryant. Re-sign Dexter, please.
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #650 on: September 17, 2015, 08:53:05 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Eli on September 17, 2015, 08:29:54 AM

ETAed.

Hell, per fWAR Coghlan (3.2) has been better than Zobrist (2.7, albeit in 15 fewer games) anyway, and if Zobrist is just going to be a left fielder he's definitely not a clear upgrade over Coghlan, much as I loathe that guy's face for reasons I just can't even explain.

Not to mention, Schwarber will get most of the playing time in LF next season anyway.

I'm hoping Coghlan starts getting a few games at 1B. Rizzo can't keep trying to do this Iron Man shit.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #651 on: September 17, 2015, 08:56:22 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on September 16, 2015, 04:47:04 PM
Quote from: R-V on September 16, 2015, 04:34:10 PM
Expanding on an offhand Penfoe tweet - and I believe this is something we talked about based on Javy's BMI earlier this year, but I can't seem to find that discussion now - could this be an option for 2016 if Fowler gets a huge 5 year offer? I am also recalling Baez mentioning that CF was his favorite position to play, and based on what he's done at the other infield spots I'm imagining he could be more than competent in the outfield.

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

* Contreras can step in when SKO assassinates Ross
**Also options for improvement via trade or free agency (Kendrick/Zobrist/Heyward/Parra)

Coghlan in an un-platooned role at second base?  Have you gone mad?

That spitballed lineup just includes guys already in the organization (hence the footnotes at the bottom of the post). No, I don't think Coghlan could handle 2B on an everyday basis, but given what he's done offensively since joining the Cubs (and it's now about a 900 PA sample so it's safe to say it's not a fluke), and that he's under control for another year at a low cost, they've got to figure out a way to get him another 400 plate appearances next year.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #652 on: September 17, 2015, 09:01:17 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 17, 2015, 08:56:22 AM
Expanding on an offhand Penfoe tweet - and I believe this is something we talked about based on Javy's BMI earlier this year, but I can't seem to find that discussion now - could this be an option for 2016 if Fowler gets a huge 5 year offer? I am also recalling Baez mentioning that CF was his favorite position to play, and based on what he's done at the other infield spots I'm imagining he could be more than competent in the outfield.

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

**Also options for improvement via trade or free agency (Kendrick/Zobrist/Heyward/Parra)

Coghlan in an un-platooned role at second base?  Have you gone mad?

That spitballed lineup just includes guys already in the organization (hence the footnotes at the bottom of the post). No, I don't think Coghlan could handle 2B on an everyday basis, but given what he's done offensively since joining the Cubs (and it's now about a 900 PA sample so it's safe to say it's not a fluke), and that he's under control for another year at a low cost, they've got to figure out a way to get him another 400 plate appearances next year.

No they don't. If he gets that many, it won't kill them but I don't think the goal should be to head into 2016 thinking that way about Coghlan. If they can, they should upgrade.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:20 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 17, 2015, 09:01:17 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

No they don't. If he gets that many, it won't kill them but I don't think the goal should be to head into 2016 thinking that way about Coghlan. If they can, they should upgrade.

Yeah, that's the goal and I would love for them to upgrade. But if we're dealing with finite resources here, and given how cheap he's going to be for another year, I'd rather spend those resources on upgrading the rotation and the bullpen, and on center field if they can't keep Fowler.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2015, 09:29:00 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 17, 2015, 09:24:20 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

Yeah, that's the goal and I would love for them to upgrade. But if we're dealing with finite resources here, and given how cheap he's going to be for another year, I'd rather spend those resources on upgrading the rotation and the bullpen, and on center field if they can't keep Fowler.

I would agree with that if they do in fact have finite resources that limit their scope to one position. That's something we don't know. Gordo tells us they're broke so...

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #655 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

Is there any consensus on Jason Heyward handling center field on a regular basis? He's obviously all-world in RF and has played some CF in the past. I wonder if he could be passable there for a few years until there's a replacement, then just shift to a corner for the rest of his contract.*

* which will be huge, granted, but probably worth it

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2015, 09:34:24 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 17, 2015, 09:29:00 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

I would agree with that if they do in fact have finite resources that limit their scope to one position. That's something we don't know. Gordo tells us they're broke so...

I suspect this offseason is going to be interesting and at least one guy currently on the team is going to be traded. I suspect that guy is not going to be Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, or Schwarber. That guy might be Castro (increasingly likely), Baez (increasingly less likely), or Coghlan who would understandably appeal to another contender looking for a quick fix in the outfield for a year.

Either way I'm content to just enjoy this team as it is right now and the fact that it went from a team so thin it started Junior Lake and Johnny Buckets multiple times to having depth seemingly everywhere and let those surpluses work themselves out at a later date.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 17, 2015, 09:34:06 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

Is there any consensus on Jason Heyward handling center field on a regular basis? He's obviously all-world in RF and has played some CF in the past. I wonder if he could be passable there for a few years until there's a replacement, then just shift to a corner for the rest of his contract.*

* which will be huge, granted, but probably worth it

DPD, but I don't know about this. Heyward derives so much of his value by being a league averageish bat with all world defense in right field. If he moves over to CF and has merely good defense and okay offense there is he going to be worth the money?

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #658 on: September 17, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 09:34:24 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

I suspect this offseason is going to be interesting and at least one guy currently on the team is going to be traded. I suspect that guy is not going to be Rizzo, Bryant, Russell, or Schwarber. That guy might be Castro (increasingly likely), Baez (increasingly less likely), or Coghlan who would understandably appeal to another contender looking for a quick fix in the outfield for a year.

Either way I'm content to just enjoy this team as it is right now and the fact that it went from a team so thin it started Junior Lake and Johnny Buckets multiple times to having depth seemingly everywhere and let those surpluses work themselves out at a later date.

I was just wondering myself why I'm already thinking ahead to next year when we've got a fun as hell team to watch this year.

I think it's because I'm already shitting my pants about the coin flip game, and this is one way to distract myself from the stench emanating from my drawers.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #659 on: September 17, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
Quote from: R-V on September 17, 2015, 09:52:29 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 09:34:24 AM

2B Coghlan **
LF Schwarber
1B Rizzo
3B Bryant
RF Soler **
SS Russell
CF Baez
C  Montero/Ross *

I was just wondering myself why I'm already thinking ahead to next year when we've got a fun as hell team to watch this year.

I think it's because I'm already shitting my pants about the coin flip game, and this is one way to distract myself from the stench emanating from my drawers.

Looking forward is part of the fun with this team. They're this good now, but they are going to get better. That's why the front of my skivvies are messy rather than the back.
TIME TO POST!