News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,685 )

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #660 on: September 17, 2015, 10:30:56 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 09:36:18 AM
DPD, but I don't know about this. Heyward derives so much of his value by being a league averageish bat with all world defense in right field. If he moves over to CF and has merely good defense and okay offense there is he going to be worth the money?

Depends, of course. But his offense would play much better in CF, so it might be a wash.

And if we're guessing on possible trade candidates to be shipped out, my bet would be on Soler if we had to choose someone. Which we don't. But it's a message board, so hey.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #661 on: September 17, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on September 17, 2015, 08:51:45 AM
I actually wouldn't mind seeing Baez compete for SS with Russell in Mesa next year. I think he has a better arm. Russell's a nifty fielder, but I think he may be a 2B if you've got Baez around hitting like a big leaguer. That frees up 3B for Bryant. Re-sign Dexter, please.

If Baez gets any fatter, he'll be able to play SS and 2B.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #662 on: September 17, 2015, 10:33:47 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 17, 2015, 10:30:56 AM
DPD, but I don't know about this. Heyward derives so much of his value by being a league averageish bat with all world defense in right field. If he moves over to CF and has merely good defense and okay offense there is he going to be worth the money?

Depends, of course. But his offense would play much better in CF, so it might be a wash.

And if we're guessing on possible trade candidates to be shipped out, my bet would be on Soler if we had to choose someone. Which we don't. But it's a message board, so hey.

Georgie's back today. Hoping he's full strength and then some. If he finds a power stroke down the stretch I'm just going to stop wearing clothes. (ll)

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #663 on: September 17, 2015, 10:35:56 AM »

Yeah, the nice thing about all this is the Cubs can easily address their biggest needs right now (another starting pitcher or two and some extra bullpen help) in free agency and not have to trade anybody, but they also have enough of an idea at what they've got in the system and what those guys look like at the major league level to allow them to properly assess who is expendable in a trade if that's the route they want to go.

I'm willing to bet they'd still like to move Castro if his August/September resurgence has rebuilt his value, but if they're stuck keeping him a Castro/LaStella platoon at second with Javy at 3rd and Bryant in the OF, leaving Jorge as a top notch trade chip, isn't an awful situation to be in.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #664 on: September 17, 2015, 10:36:47 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 17, 2015, 10:33:47 AM

Georgie's back today. Hoping he's full strength and then some. If he finds a power stroke down the stretch I'm just going to stop wearing clothes. (ll)

This is one of the huge advantages of working from home all the time.  I just sit around naked watching Cubs' games.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #665 on: September 17, 2015, 10:44:37 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 10:35:56 AM
Yeah, the nice thing about all this is the Cubs can easily address their biggest needs right now (another starting pitcher or two and some extra bullpen help) in free agency and not have to trade anybody, but they also have enough of an idea at what they've got in the system and what those guys look like at the major league level to allow them to properly assess who is expendable in a trade if that's the route they want to go.

I still think there's a good chance that we see some sort of surprise trade this winter (Carrasco, Ross, King Felix in a longshot) rather than a huge FA pitcher signing. They have the player depth for it and giving some of that up might be preferable to having another over-30 pitcher making more than $150MM.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #666 on: September 17, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
Quote from: Eli on September 17, 2015, 10:44:37 AM

I still think there's a good chance that we see some sort of surprise trade this winter (Carrasco, Ross, King Felix in a longshot) rather than a huge FA pitcher signing. They have the player depth for it and giving some of that up might be preferable to having another over-30 pitcher making more than $150MM.

I think a trade is very possible, too, and might even be preferable. I'd like to believe that they have the financial resources to keep either option open, however.

Since July 31st guys like Castro and Baez have raised their stock, Soler has become potentially expendable due to Bryant's play in the OF and Baez playing at 3B, and then in the minors you still have completely expendable assets like McKinney and Gleyber and Contreras, since catchers who can hit are always in demand. The Cubs should be in a much better negotiating place, tradewise, than they were at the deadline, and people always say winter prices are lower than July prices anyway.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #667 on: September 21, 2015, 02:27:10 PM »
Quote from: SKO on September 17, 2015, 11:01:00 AM

I think a trade is very possible, too, and might even be preferable. I'd like to believe that they have the financial resources to keep either option open, however.

Since July 31st guys like Castro and Baez have raised their stock, Soler has become potentially expendable due to Bryant's play in the OF and Baez playing at 3B, and then in the minors you still have completely expendable assets like McKinney and Gleyber and Contreras, since catchers who can hit are always in demand. The Cubs should be in a much better negotiating place, tradewise, than they were at the deadline, and people always say winter prices are lower than July prices anyway.

You fucking people.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #668 on: September 21, 2015, 02:30:57 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on September 21, 2015, 02:27:10 PM

You fucking people.

We had to do something to get you back here.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #669 on: September 21, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »
Quote from: Eli on September 21, 2015, 02:30:57 PM
Quote from: PenFoe on September 21, 2015, 02:27:10 PM

You fucking people.

We had to do something to get you back here.

I was in a meeting.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #670 on: October 01, 2015, 02:09:33 PM »
A couple awful ABs from our guy Javy today but I'm still looking forward to mammoth October dongs.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #671 on: October 01, 2015, 02:19:12 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on October 01, 2015, 02:09:33 PM
A couple awful ABs from our guy Javy today but I'm still looking forward to mammoth October dongs.

He's 2-4 with a double. That's how you choose to lead off a post in the man's splooge thread? For shame.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #672 on: October 01, 2015, 02:24:34 PM »
Quote from: SKO on October 01, 2015, 02:19:12 PM

He's 2-4 with a double. That's how you choose to lead off a post in the man's splooge thread? For shame.

I am starting to have serious doubts that Sterling Archer will ever amount to much.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #673 on: October 01, 2015, 02:30:54 PM »

Really strange.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on October 01, 2015, 02:30:54 PM

Really strange.

That one's on me. I'm half-watching at work and only saw the strikeouts.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?