News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread  ( 130,726 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Javier Baez 2014 ROY-MVP-World Series MVP Thread
« Reply #690 on: November 03, 2015, 09:26:03 AM »
Quote from: R-V on November 03, 2015, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: Slaky on November 03, 2015, 08:57:18 AM
Lots of talk about moving Javy for pitching or is he gonna start and what not.

Am I nuts for thinking, they should definitely keep him as a super utility guy? He's not entitled to any full time starting role but his stint at the end of the year proved he's got a lot of value as a fill in guy and he'd be more than acceptable should Castro, Russell, or Bryant get hurt at any point.

Seems like it'd be pretty dumb to get rid of a guy like that.

It's still strange for me to think of Starlin as a part of this team going forward - I mentally parted ways with him once they installed Addison as the every day SS. I'm not saying they *should* get rid of him, I'm just still getting used to the idea that he might stick around.

But as for your question - I think Russell is the key here. He's been injured in each of the last two seasons now, so I worry about his ability to stay in the lineup. If he's hurt and Baez is gone, we're back to Starlin and his (barely) average defense at SS as a backup plan. I'll sit back and wait for PenFoe to tell me that Gleyber will be ready for a midseason callup next year.

This hardly seems fair. He played a full season this year, his first full professional season given how quickly he shot up through the minors, and he supposedly would have been available for the World Series if they'd have gotten past the Mets. A one week injury in a seven month season is not concerning to me. I don't think there's anywhere near enough evidence to paint him as injury prone.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #691 on: November 03, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 03, 2015, 09:20:49 AM

Am I nuts for thinking, they should definitely keep him as a super utility guy? He's not entitled to any full time starting role but his stint at the end of the year proved he's got a lot of value as a fill in guy and he'd be more than acceptable should Castro, Russell, or Bryant get hurt at any point.

I don't think they'll sell low on Baez or Castro but I'm pretty sure they'll get a deal they like this offseason that involves moving one or the other. If they don't, cool, Javy the Super Sub sounds fun too.

If people in baseball are still stupid enough to hire Dusty Baker, there's someone out there willing to pay a good price for the cost controlled Castro or Baez.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #692 on: November 03, 2015, 10:45:50 AM »

We saw this year that Maddon loves having guys who can play multiple positions, and Baez is an attractive option for not only injury insurance, but double-switching.

On a related note, one thing I know Joe is going to beg Jepstink for this winter is someone who can play 20 games or so at first base without spiking himself.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #693 on: November 03, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on November 03, 2015, 09:54:02 AM

I don't think they'll sell low on Baez or Castro but I'm pretty sure they'll get a deal they like this offseason that involves moving one or the other. If they don't, cool, Javy the Super Sub sounds fun too.

If people in baseball are still stupid enough to hire Dusty Baker, there's someone out there willing to pay a good price for the cost controlled Castro or Baez.

I mean total offense when I say your opinion on Baez means less than nothing to me.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #694 on: November 03, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Quote from: Slaky on November 03, 2015, 11:48:21 AM

I mean total offense when I say your opinion on Baez means less than nothing to me.

How can you say that when Chuck has given us such gems as "Baez has no trade value whatsoever- July 2015" and "the Cubs just need to eat Castro's deal and trade him for James Shields"
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #695 on: November 03, 2015, 12:12:02 PM »
Quote from: SKO on November 03, 2015, 11:52:15 AM

How can you say that when Chuck has given us such gems as "Baez has no trade value whatsoever- July 2015" and "the Cubs just need to eat Castro's deal and trade him for James Shields"

22 year old MI with 35 home run power grow on trees, idotio.

Chuck was ready to trade Apple stock for Eastman Kodak in 2010.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #696 on: November 03, 2015, 12:22:18 PM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 03, 2015, 10:45:50 AM

We saw this year that Maddon loves having guys who can play multiple positions, and Baez is an attractive option for not only injury insurance, but double-switching.

On a related note, one thing I know Joe is going to beg Jepstink for this winter is someone who can play 20 games or so at first base without spiking himself.

I agree with Fork on this particular point.  In the playoffs, I assumed Joe was not going to pull his wacky MI double-switch in the LCS because Russell was hurt but he simply kept doing it using LaStella who stinks.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #697 on: November 03, 2015, 02:34:28 PM »
Quote from: Oleg on November 03, 2015, 12:12:02 PM
Quote from: SKO on November 03, 2015, 11:52:15 AM

22 year old MI with 35 home run power grow on trees, idotio.

Chuck was ready to trade Apple stock for Eastman Kodak in 2010.

Fuck Kodak and their inferior product.  I was an Ilford man.

Shooter

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #698 on: November 03, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »

I agree. As these guys get older and more experienced, they might be more inclined to bitch about consistent roles and/or batting order spots, but while their still young, why not hang on to a guy who can back up at three positions with ease and could probably be a capable OF too.

Every year it seems like there is some team that is over-loaded at some position and trades away some of that depth in spring training, then ends up signing Felix Doubront to fill out their rotation.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #699 on: November 04, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »
Quote from: Shooter on November 03, 2015, 07:00:47 PM

I agree. As these guys get older and more experienced, they might be more inclined to bitch about consistent roles and/or batting order spots, but while their still young, why not hang on to a guy who can back up at three positions with ease and could probably be a capable OF too.

Every year it seems like there is some team that is over-loaded at some position and trades away some of that depth in spring training, then ends up signing Felix Doubront to fill out their rotation.

Besides, why would Jepstink be in such a balls-out rush to move a guy they've invested so much time and effort into just for the sake of moving him? You've got your cheap replacement infielder, and trading should only be an option this time of year when they can't buy what they need at the price they want.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #700 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:14 AM »

It all just depends on what Baez's trade value is. If he can actually help bring back a young, talented arm (a Tyson Ross or Carlos Carrasco type), that's a far better use of his value than keeping him around for depth purposes.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #701 on: November 04, 2015, 09:27:55 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 04, 2015, 09:18:51 AM

Besides, why would Jepstink be in such a balls-out rush to move a guy they've invested so much time and effort into just for the sake of moving him? You've got your cheap replacement infielder, and trading should only be an option this time of year when they can't buy what they need at the price they want.

Oh hey, a strawman.

Who is proposing getting rid of Javy just for funsies or because of the mythical middle infield surplus, really? I think most people think the Cubs are probably going to trade for a quality starting pitcher and will have to give up one of their young bats to do so. Javy just makes the most sense out of that group. Nobody's saying "get rid of him just to get rid of him", not even Chuck.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #702 on: November 04, 2015, 09:32:22 AM »
Quote from: Eli on November 04, 2015, 09:27:14 AM

It all just depends on what Baez's trade value is. If he can actually help bring back a young, talented arm (a Tyson Ross or Carlos Carrasco type), that's a far better use of his value than keeping him around for depth purposes.

DPD, but this. I like Javy and would be excited about him entering spring training as the starter at 2B or whatever if they move Castro but if some team is willing to trade a TOR starter and they want Baez instead of Castro then I'm not saying no. That's worth more to them than a valuable backup.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #703 on: November 04, 2015, 10:28:12 AM »
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2015, 09:27:55 AM

Oh hey, a strawman.

Who is proposing getting rid of Javy just for funsies or because of the mythical middle infield surplus, really? I think most people think the Cubs are probably going to trade for a quality starting pitcher and will have to give up one of their young bats to do so. Javy just makes the most sense out of that group. Nobody's saying "get rid of him just to get rid of him", not even Chuck.

But why get rid of him at all? There seems to be a raging tradeboner in these parts that I simply cannot understand.
TIME TO POST!

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #704 on: November 04, 2015, 10:32:38 AM »
Quote from: Median Desipio Chucklehead on November 04, 2015, 10:28:12 AM
Quote from: SKO on November 04, 2015, 09:27:55 AM

Oh hey, a strawman.

But why get rid of him at all? There seems to be a raging tradeboner in these parts that I simply cannot understand.

Because they need to not be pitching Kyle Hendricks and Jason Hammel in must-win games in the playoffs, and if Ricketts won't sign off on another massive contract to an over-30 pitcher, they're going to need to trade a position player with actual value to get a pitcher of actual value.

This is not rocket surgery.