News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive  ( 101,682 )

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2010-11 Chicago Bears: The Last Time You'll See Utler Alive
« Reply #90 on: March 05, 2010, 06:50:39 AM »
Free agent updates from Schefter and Biggs:

QuoteBarring any complications in Chicago, the Julius Peppers deal gets done and announced with the Bears by Friday afternoon.

QuoteOne of the few who sidestepped Chicago: Cardinals free agent safety Antrel Rolle, who's visiting the N.Y. Giants. 

QuoteThe #Bears have agreed to terms with TE Brandon Manumaleuna on a 5-yr contract.

QuoteChester Taylor coming to town w/ agent Ken Sarnoff. Word on the street is he is angling for $8 million guaranteed.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: March 05, 2010, 07:22:59 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2010, 06:50:39 AM

QuoteBarring any complications in Chicago, the Julius Peppers deal gets done and announced with the Bears by Friday afternoon.
[/b]

QuoteOne of the few who sidestepped Chicago: Cardinals free agent safety Antrel Rolle, who's visiting the N.Y. Giants. 

QuoteThe #Bears have agreed to terms with TE Brandon Manumaleuna on a 5-yr contract.

QuoteChester Taylor coming to town w/ agent Ken Sarnoff. Word on the street is he is angling for $8 million guaranteed.

The Skinny Mike of Mike & Mike is not impressed. "How'd Cutler work out for you? It's the under the radar moves that work out for teams, i.e. Randy Moss for a 4th round pick"

Fuck him. I have a nice Peppers boner.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: March 05, 2010, 08:41:49 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 05, 2010, 07:22:59 AM

[/b]

The Skinny Mike of Mike & Mike is not impressed. "How'd Cutler work out for you? It's the under the radar moves that work out for teams, i.e. Randy Moss for a 4th round pick"

Peppers will help, and hopefully he can take some of the pressure off of Tommie Harris and get his fat ass to do something. I'd still like to see the offensive line addressed. Thank GOD they got Brandon Manumaleuna!
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: March 05, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 05, 2010, 08:41:49 AM

[/b]

Peppers will help, and hopefully he can take some of the pressure off of Tommie Harris and get his fat ass to do something. I'd still like to see the offensive line addressed. Thank GOD they got Brandon Manumaleuna!

So what is their offensive line as of now? Are they planning on trying Omiyale at LG again? Shaffer at RT?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: March 05, 2010, 08:58:20 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2010, 08:52:03 AM

[/b]

So what is their offensive line as of now? Are they planning on trying Omiyale at LG again? Shaffer at RT?

That's what I'm hearing. I'm also hearing that no one but Chicago's offering anywhere close to what Rolle wants, so they may get Peppers and Rolle. That would make that defense somewhere bordering on adequate!
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: March 05, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 05, 2010, 08:58:20 AM
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2010, 08:52:03 AM

[/b]

That's what I'm hearing. I'm also hearing that no one but Chicago's offering anywhere close to what Rolle wants, so they may get Peppers and Rolle. That would make that defense somewhere bordering on adequate!

I would poo if he left NY and came straight to Chicago. Wow.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: March 05, 2010, 09:23:07 AM »

You're too negative.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: March 05, 2010, 09:25:59 AM »
Quote from: Eli on March 05, 2010, 09:23:07 AM

You're too negative.

Last season I tried too positive. I'm going with bi-polar offseason approaches.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: March 05, 2010, 09:26:57 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 05, 2010, 09:25:59 AM

You're too negative.

Last season I tried too positive. I'm going with bi-polar offseason approaches.

Just don't kill Yeti's Peppers boner too soon.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: March 05, 2010, 09:28:27 AM »

You're too negative.

If the Bears somehow net Peppers, Taylor AND Rolle you'd have to be a real Chuck to not be excited about it.

Back to the offensive line, is there any chance at all that they'll give Kreutz the boot and slot Beeks in there?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2010, 09:32:17 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2010, 09:28:27 AM

You're too negative.

If the Bears somehow net Peppers, Taylor AND Rolle you'd have to be a real Chuck to not be excited about it.

Back to the offensive line, is there any chance at all that they'll give Kreutz the boot and slot Beeks in there?

They'd be good moves, although I think Chester Taylor would be too expensive for a position that's more of a want than a need. Forte is still a good runningback and a good fit for the offense, the line just sucked that hard last year. If Taylor really wants a contract near the 8 million a year range it'd be a total waste of cash. Use that money to up the offer for Rolle.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »
Quote from: SKO on March 05, 2010, 09:32:17 AM

You're too negative.

They'd be good moves, although I think Chester Taylor would be too expensive for a position that's more of a want than a need. Forte is still a good runningback and a good fit for the offense, the line just sucked that hard last year. If Taylor really wants a contract near the 8 million a year range it'd be a total waste of cash. Use that money to up the offer for Rolle.

Agreed, safety's a much higher priority than RB. But isn't this an uncapped year? I haven't followed  the salary cap stuff too closely, but if there's no cap, couldn't they theoretically sign all three?

Also, Atogwe an option? It's Pompei, so probably not.

QuoteThe best option clearly is O.J. Atogwe of the Rams. He is a restricted free agent, and it was assumed the Rams would tender him at a level that would require any team that signs him to compensate the Rams with a high draft pick.  But the Rams chose to tender him at the lowest possible level.

What this means is whoever signs Atogwe would not have to compensate the Rams. But the Rams have the right to match any offer.  It would probably take a market-setting deal to get him out of St. Louis, and the Bears might not be able to afford such a deal given their other maneuverings.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »
Quote from: R-V on March 05, 2010, 09:40:17 AM

You're too negative.

Agreed, safety's a much higher priority than RB. But isn't this an uncapped year? I haven't followed  the salary cap stuff too closely, but if there's no cap, couldn't they theoretically sign all three?

QuoteThe best option clearly is O.J. Atogwe of the Rams. He is a restricted free agent, and it was assumed the Rams would tender him at a level that would require any team that signs him to compensate the Rams with a high draft pick.  But the Rams chose to tender him at the lowest possible level.

What this means is whoever signs Atogwe would not have to compensate the Rams. But the Rams have the right to match any offer.  It would probably take a market-setting deal to get him out of St. Louis, and the Bears might not be able to afford such a deal given their other maneuverings.

The thing that throws me off about this is the fact that Ted Phillips came out a couple weeks ago and said they wouldn't go crazy spending money and then he raised ticket prices.. However, I'm sure many will accept higher prices if this is what you get for that.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2010, 09:44:48 AM »

You're too negative.

Agreed, safety's a much higher priority than RB. But isn't this an uncapped year? I haven't followed  the salary cap stuff too closely, but if there's no cap, couldn't they theoretically sign all three?

QuoteThe best option clearly is O.J. Atogwe of the Rams. He is a restricted free agent, and it was assumed the Rams would tender him at a level that would require any team that signs him to compensate the Rams with a high draft pick.  But the Rams chose to tender him at the lowest possible level.

What this means is whoever signs Atogwe would not have to compensate the Rams. But the Rams have the right to match any offer.  It would probably take a market-setting deal to get him out of St. Louis, and the Bears might not be able to afford such a deal given their other maneuverings.

It's an uncapped year. Theoretically they could spend whatever they want, but you know there's a ceiling on what Angelo's been given permission to spend. The number I heard was about 25-30 million dollars were available for cash up front. I know Peppers was probably demanding somewhere around 12-18 a year, and Rolle was asking 8. Peppers probably got what he asked for. Rolle's price will go down because he's a safety asking for cornerback money, but I don't know how far down it will go. There's probably enough money to pick up Rolle and Peppers, but probably not enough to pick up Rolle, Taylor, and Peppers.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2010, 09:52:38 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on March 05, 2010, 09:43:04 AM

You're too negative.

The thing that throws me off about this is the fact that Ted Phillips came out a couple weeks ago and said they wouldn't go crazy spending money and then he raised ticket prices.. However, I'm sure many will accept higher prices if this is what you get for that.

Given the general displeasure of keeping Lovie, what appeared to many as a bungled coaching search, and the raising of ticket prices it looks as if the Bears are trying to spend their way back into the good graces of the fans. That plan usually works.