News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #225 on: September 14, 2009, 06:47:46 PM »
Quote from: butthead on September 14, 2009, 06:08:46 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 14, 2009, 04:48:18 PM
Quote from: MAD on September 14, 2009, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on September 14, 2009, 04:22:13 PM
Quote from: Brownie on September 14, 2009, 04:16:27 PM
Quote from: Pre on September 14, 2009, 04:14:11 PM
Quote from: BC on September 14, 2009, 01:39:56 PMand a head coach that needs to let someone else decide when to challenge plays...

Lovie is just at league average as far as successful challenges,
and no one is good at them since the barrier for overturning a
call is so high.

I thought his challenge on the almost touch back fumble was
a great one, even if it didn't turn out.

This. As for the 12 men on the field challenge, someone had to have noticed that Clay Mathews got off the field in time, no?

He was busting it back to the bench, from what I saw.  I think he have even jumped over the line.  But in any event, when the play was called, he was way off the field.

It's frustrating because if we had scored on two of our red zone possessions, this convo would be moot.

What number do you wear again?

I don't wear a number, because I get results.  You stupid chief!!!

Gil, your only mistake was using "we" after a loss. That's when "they" couldn't score in the redzone, those bums.

Those fuckstains.

"The Royal 'we!'  You know, the editorial... "

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2009, 08:13:47 PM »
This thread kind of sucks a little, guys. And I'm glad I didn't bother to read it while during the game itself (opting instead to trade cynical text messages with my brother).

But, seriously. The only things that really surprised me were the special teams miscues and Utler's first half jitters.

Aside from that, we had...

Pass rush: Really fucking good (though Wale won't get to key off against Barbre every game, so we'll see if that keeps up)

Run defense: Above average

Secondary, receivers, pass protection and run blocking: Totally weak

Which is, on the whole, about what we expected going in, right?

Perhaps there's a more elegant way to put this, but one might even go so far as to say that these Chicago Bears are quite possibly the very squadron we've been given to apprehend they were.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: September 15, 2009, 08:03:13 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 14, 2009, 08:13:47 PM
This thread kind of sucks a little, guys. And I'm glad I didn't bother to read it while during the game itself (opting instead to trade cynical text messages with my brother).

But, seriously. The only things that really surprised me were the special teams miscues and Utler's first half jitters.

Pass rush: Really fucking good (though Wale won't get to key off against Barbre every game, so we'll see if that keeps up)

Perhaps there's a more elegant way to put this, but one might even go so far as to say that these Chicago Bears are quite possibly the very squadron we've been given to apprehend they were.

I thought they'd block better.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: September 15, 2009, 08:37:25 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 15, 2009, 08:03:13 AM

I thought they'd block better as well. But as soon as Orlando Pace faces a defensive end who isn't really small, or particularly fast, and preferably not all that strong, he'll be right back in hall of fame form.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: September 15, 2009, 08:49:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 15, 2009, 08:37:25 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 15, 2009, 08:03:13 AM

I thought they'd block better as well. But as soon as Orlando Pace faces a defensive end who isn't really small, or particularly fast, and preferably not all that strong, he'll be right back in hall of fame form.

I would like to add Frank Omiyale getting constantly run over by Jenkins.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: September 15, 2009, 11:23:24 AM »
This. As for the 12 men on the field challenge, someone had to have noticed that Clay Mathews got off the field in time, no?

I still don't get why they couldn't have gotten the same result by snapping it to Brad Maynard.
Hire Jim Essian!

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: September 15, 2009, 11:28:06 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 15, 2009, 11:23:24 AM

I still don't get why they couldn't have gotten the same result by snapping it to Brad Maynard.
Because, if you snap to Maynard you can only get 5 yards.  If you snap with 12 on the field and the up back somehow breaks through for a first down, you get to keep the ball.  If he gets tackled short, you simply re-kick.

Seems to me that it's a smart play but leaving it up to the center is a mistake.  He can't see who's on the field as he's bent down to snap.  It should be the up back who makes the call.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on September 15, 2009, 11:28:06 AM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 15, 2009, 11:23:24 AM

Because, if you snap to Maynard you can only get 5 yards.  If you snap with 12 on the field and the up back somehow breaks through for a first down, you get to keep the ball.  If he gets tackled short, you simply re-kick.

Seems to me that it's a smart play but leaving it up to the center is a mistake.  He can't see who's on the field as he's bent down to snap.  It should be the up back who makes the call.

Whoever calls cadence generally just has to yell "Fire" for a quick snap. He's the one doing the counting.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: September 15, 2009, 01:53:13 PM »
"Jay Cutler drew marked criticism from former NFL head coaches Jim Mora and Mike Martz for his performance during Sunday's game as well as the post-game press conference.
After his four interceptions ruined a stellar defensive performance by the Bears, Cutler refused to accept blame and offered little more than cliches by way of explanation. "When I saw that postgame press conference last night, I thought he looked completely immature," Mora said. "He acted like he didn't even care." Added Lovie Smith's mentor Mike Martz: "He just doesn't get it." Cutler's maturity level has been in question ever since his orchestrated Denver exit in March and April.
Source: Chicago Sun Times "

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:32 PM »
Quote from: BH on September 15, 2009, 01:53:13 PM
"Jay Cutler drew marked criticism from former NFL head coaches Jim Mora and Mike Martz for his performance during Sunday's game as well as the post-game press conference.
After his four interceptions ruined a stellar defensive performance by the Bears, Cutler refused to accept blame and offered little more than cliches by way of explanation. "When I saw that postgame press conference last night, I thought he looked completely immature," Mora said. "He acted like he didn't even care." Added Lovie Smith's mentor Mike Martz: "He just doesn't get it." Cutler's maturity level has been in question ever since his orchestrated Denver exit in March and April.

Playoffs?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: September 15, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

If they're so fucking smart, why aren't they coaching somewhere?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: September 15, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »
Quote from: Fork on September 15, 2009, 02:13:14 PM

Because being on TV is a better job.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Ghost of Dave Rosello

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: September 15, 2009, 02:18:26 PM »

Because they're shitty coaches?

I will say this, the Bears would be wise to invest in some media training for Cutler. He comes across about as poorly as any professional athlete I've ever seen in an interview setting. He always looks somebody just shot his dog.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2009, 02:21:46 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 15, 2009, 02:18:26 PM
I will say this, the Bears would be wise to invest in some media training for Cutler. He comes across about as poorly as any professional athlete I've ever seen in an interview setting. He always looks somebody just shot his dog.

How many interviews have you seen Cutler do?

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
Quote from: Ghost of Dave Rosello on September 15, 2009, 02:18:26 PM

Because they're shitty coaches?

Outside of washed up former head coaches and the morans at ESPN, does anybody really give a shit about how Cutler handles the media?