News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #285 on: September 21, 2009, 09:17:53 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 21, 2009, 09:12:07 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 21, 2009, 07:49:35 AM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 21, 2009, 01:10:24 AM
Quote from: SKO on September 20, 2009, 11:31:38 PM
In every damn category other than rushing yards, its damn near even.

I can't help but dwell on this.

Is it all on the O-line? Or is the Kevin Jones injury going to hurt even more than feared?

This is green font, right? Orange Jebus outplayed him all last year and he was the Bears most productive back last year NIGHT. I think teams are still daring the Bears to throw on them because of the receiving corps. But that shit's gotta stop eventually.

?

Oh... did you mean Whoopi?

I certainly have my share of man love for the Original AP, but his 5.3 YPC yesterday on 3 carries was totally thanks to his first rush for 15 yards, not so much his second and third rushes (for 0 and 1 yard, respectively).

Regardless, my point was that Benson's 141 yard, 4.9 YPC day against the same Green Bay defense that held the Bears to 2.8 YPC last week suggests there may be some run blocking or running back issues (or both) remaining for the Bears to work out.

Or offensive play-calling, as SKO mentions above. Which, now that I think about it, strikes me as very, very reasonable.

You'd hope some video tape and a pen and paper would solve this issue next time the Bears meet the Pack in front of the 4th Phase. I just hope Matty F is still walking upright at that point.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #286 on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:46 AM »
Quote from: SKO on September 21, 2009, 08:18:32 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 21, 2009, 08:01:19 AM
Quote from: MAD on September 21, 2009, 07:53:27 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on September 21, 2009, 07:49:35 AM
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 21, 2009, 01:10:24 AM
In every damn category other than rushing yards, its damn near even.

I can't help but dwell on this.

Is it all on the O-line? Or is the Kevin Jones injury going to hurt even more than feared?

This is green font, right? Orange Jebus outplayed him all last year and he was the Bears most productive back last year. I think teams are still daring the Bears to throw on them because of the receiving corps. But that shit's gotta stop eventually.

Indeed.  Cutler's having auditions on which WR is going to step up, and Johnny Knocks seems to be answering the casting call.  I think I remember reading where Brandon Marshall was not regarded too highly before meeting Cutler and that Eddie Royal was really a nobody before last year and, if that's the case, I'm willing to buy the notion that out of this mass of mediocrity, Cutler's going to pull one or two (Bennett?) guys up a level.

As much as I hope that's true, it wouldn't shock me if these guys really are just a bunch of turds. The Bears have hit on like one receiver pick under Angelo. Berrian, who is one dimensional and gone is the guy though you could make an Olegesque spirited yet incorrect argument for Hester. Gage, Wade, Bradley... all gone and all suck. None of them ever played with the likes of Utler though. I'm looking forward sitting outside in the freezing cold and snow and ice and seeing how this shit plays out. I wouldn't know a good wideout if he caught a touchdown, ran up and jumped into my lap. (Coolest thing I saw all Sunday, Ochocinco)

Seriously? The drops have been painful, but that'll disappear as they get used to the velocity and timing of Cutler's passes. Honestly if you'd have told me that the Hester, Bennett, and Knox trio would be averaging a combined 175 ypg after two games, I'd have taken it. Bennett looks like a solid underneath guy, and Hester and Knox are both outstanding deep threats. Lost in all the fury last week was that Hester had the best receiving game of his career (4 for 90, TD) during a fairly pedestrian effort by Cutler. If Greg Olsen would just hold onto a pass or two, this group goes from potentially good to dangerous.

I should maybe have typed that part first.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #287 on: September 21, 2009, 10:55:22 AM »
Quote from: RedBeard on September 20, 2009, 10:06:20 PM
Robbie Gould is money.

That said, the Bears did not win on skill - they won on the Steelers' lack of it today.

Seriously? Fuck that. I hate when people act like missed fucking field goals (the second one was deflected, btw, if you watch the replay you'll see the ball's flight change after it hits the line of scrimmage) are some kind of fluke. A kicker's a player just like any other on the field, he failed to do his job. What are you going to blame it on? The Steelers dropping passes? The Bears did that too. There's not a god damn thing the Steelers fucked up that the Bears didn't also fuck up, and yet one team overcame it to win the game.

First Downs     21     15
    Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
  Third Down Efficiency    6-12    7-14
  Fourth Down Efficiency    1-1    0-0
  TOTAL NET YARDS    308    275
    Total Plays    59    57
    Average Gain Per Play    5.2    4.8
  NET YARDS RUSHING    105    43
    Rushes    22    18
    Average Per Rush    4.8    2.4
  NET YARDS PASSING    203    232
    Completions-Attempts    23-35    27-38
    Yards Per Pass Play    5.5    5.9
    Times Sacked    2    1
    Yards Lost to Sacks    18    4
    Had Intercepted    1    0
  PUNTS    3    6
    Average Punt    54.3    45.8
  PENALTIES    6    10
    Penalty Yards    52    80
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0
  TIME OF POSSESSION    30:26    29:34

In every damn category other than rushing yards, its damn near even. The Steelers did not just hand that game away. The Bears won. Fuck the idea that the Steelers just gave it away.

So emphatically THIS.  It was a wet field that both kickers needed to overcome, and no kick could be considered a "gimme."  Gould overcame it.  Reed didn't.  That was a fun game to watch, especially since there were a bunch of CFIPs sitting around us.
Hire Jim Essian!

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #288 on: September 21, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Quote from: Dr. Nguyen Van Falk on September 20, 2009, 06:16:08 PM
Looks like Pen is gonna be real busy at work this coming week.

I resent the implication that I would somehow try to duck and cover until this week is over.

I have nothing much to say here, the teams basically played the game entirely evenly. The Steelers ran the ball a little better, but the Bears kicked the ball better. 
That's about it. 

I think the Steelers missed Polamalu more than the Bears missed Urlacher (mostly because Hillenmeyer was WAY better than Tyrone Carter), but really, this was a dead-even game in almost all aspects. 

You guys got the win, so I whole-heartedly accept all shit-talking, but I don't think anyone can say that one team was clearly better yesterday.
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #289 on: September 21, 2009, 11:29:02 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on September 21, 2009, 10:55:22 AM
Robbie Gould is money.

That said, the Bears did not win on skill - they won on the Steelers' lack of it today.

Seriously? Fuck that. I hate when people act like missed fucking field goals (the second one was deflected, btw, if you watch the replay you'll see the ball's flight change after it hits the line of scrimmage) are some kind of fluke. A kicker's a player just like any other on the field, he failed to do his job. What are you going to blame it on? The Steelers dropping passes? The Bears did that too. There's not a god damn thing the Steelers fucked up that the Bears didn't also fuck up, and yet one team overcame it to win the game.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

In every damn category other than rushing yards, its damn near even. The Steelers did not just hand that game away. The Bears won. Fuck the idea that the Steelers just gave it away.

So emphatically THIS.  It was a wet field that both kickers needed to overcome, and no kick could be considered a "gimme."  Gould overcame it.  Reed didn't.  That was a fun game to watch, especially since there were a bunch of CFIPs sitting around us.

Yes.  And they brought their towels.  The best part of that was when the Steelers had the ball in a critical situations, these idiots would wave their flags and yell.  Umm, wouldn't you prefer it to be quiet when your team's on offense, rather than add to the noise being brought by the home crowd?

Also, I'm in a confidence pool with my in-laws and all of my wife's extended relatives.  Most of these people are in Michigan and beyond and, despite their proximity to Chicago, I'm the only genuine Bears fans.  There are, however, some people in this bunch who are from Pittsburgh and I was being outnumbered in the smack-talking.  Once the ante was raised and I opened my mouth, I felt I had no choice but to put my big meatball hat on and put 16 points on the Bears.  Mission accomplished.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #290 on: September 21, 2009, 11:54:24 AM »
Quote from: MAD on September 21, 2009, 11:29:02 AM
Also, I'm in a confidence pool with my in-laws and all of my wife's extended relatives.  Most of these people are in Michigan and beyond and, despite their proximity to Chicago, I'm the only genuine Bears fans.  There are, however, some people in this bunch who are from Pittsburgh and I was being outnumbered in the smack-talking.  Once the ante was raised and I opened my mouth, I felt I had no choice but to put my big meatball hat on and put 16 points on the Bears.  Mission accomplished.

The Bears were 3 point favorites. Amiright? SeewhatIdidthere?
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #291 on: September 21, 2009, 12:13:30 PM »
Robbie Gould is money.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

Yes.  And they brought their towels.  The best part of that was when the Steelers had the ball in a critical situations, these idiots would wave their flags and yell.  Umm, wouldn't you prefer it to be quiet when your team's on offense, rather than add to the noise being brought by the home crowd?

There were a TON of CFiP's around us too. They travel well, and the douche quotient is remarkably low. Not looking forward to the Browns contingent in six weeks.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #292 on: September 21, 2009, 12:16:24 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 21, 2009, 12:13:30 PM
Robbie Gould is money.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

There were a TON of CFiP's around us too. They travel well, and the douche quotient is remarkably low. Not looking forward to the Browns contingent in six weeks.

I'm very much looking forward to the Browns game because it should be an absolute massacre. That is one of the worst teams in the league right there. They have almost no talent.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #293 on: September 21, 2009, 12:24:30 PM »
Quote from: Shatoon; Bringer of Corn on September 21, 2009, 12:16:24 PM
Robbie Gould is money.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

I'm very much looking forward to the Browns game because it should be an absolute massacre. That is one of the worst teams in the league right there. They have almost no talent.

The Browns are an awful team with a head coach who believes he's some sort of genius.

Ivy6

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #294 on: September 21, 2009, 12:25:47 PM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on September 21, 2009, 12:24:30 PM
Quote from: Shatoon; Bringer of Corn on September 21, 2009, 12:16:24 PM
Robbie Gould is money.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

The Browns are an awful team with a head coach who believes was told by the New York media he's some sort of genius.

CubFaninHydePark

• President The Bull Moose Fan Club
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #295 on: September 21, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »
Robbie Gould is money.

Passing    13    12
    Rushing    7    2
    Penalty    1    1
    Total Plays    59    57
    Rushes    22    18
    Times Sacked    2    1
  PUNTS    3    6
  PENALTIES    6    10
  FUMBLES    1    1
    Fumbles Lost    1    0

I resent the inference.  I'm just getting here because I was too busy all of last night laughing at all my friends who root for the Pissburgh Stillers.
Those Cardinals aren't red, they're yellow.  Like the Spanish!

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #297 on: September 21, 2009, 12:55:33 PM »
The Browns game WILL be a massacre, but I'm not looking forward to the worst fans in football flinging dog biscuits at me pregame and postgame.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #298 on: September 21, 2009, 01:03:24 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on September 21, 2009, 12:55:33 PM
The Browns game WILL be a massacre, but I'm not looking forward to the worst fans in football flinging dog biscuits at me pregame and postgame.

Hey, they're YOUR fans...
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #299 on: September 21, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »