News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,928 )

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #630 on: October 22, 2009, 09:30:36 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 22, 2009, 08:59:04 AM
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 22, 2009, 08:13:46 AM
LSA, SKO.

I think the reason the Bears traded Jones to NYJ was his (polite and deserved) demand for more money. Jones was due for a raise after 2005 and the Bears couldn't afford it. Angelo and Jones made a deal that said Jones could play one more year under his current contract and Angelo would agree to trade him afterward to a team that would give him a deal. After the year Benson had in 2006, it seemed right to move forward with him and let Jones go get his paper in NY, which he did.

I don't fault Angelo for that. I fault him for drafting Benson in the first place and Garrett Wolfe to replace Jones. D'ur and D'ur'er.

I fault Ron Turner for running Garrett Wolfe in between the tackles and even in short yardage situations. Must be a Turner family trait as Norvy has now blown a 4th and 2 with the game on the line against the Ravens and a chance at an opening drive touchdown against the Broncos by running Darren Sproles straight up the gut both times.

I wasn't a fan of the Garret Wolfe draft pick, but if used properly Wofle could be a good asset. Of course that assumes intelligence on Turner's part.

Tony

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #631 on: October 22, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »
Garret Wolfe looks like he is wearing the smallest shoulder pads they have, and they are still to big for him.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #632 on: October 23, 2009, 10:04:09 AM »
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-23-bears-ron-turner-oct23,0,2509088,print.column

I'm not going to quote anything because the whole article is worth reading. I'll hang up and wait for BC's thoughtful rebuttal.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #633 on: October 23, 2009, 10:51:14 AM »
If they made better use of the running game, play action would be even more effective.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Pre

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #634 on: October 23, 2009, 10:56:53 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 23, 2009, 10:04:09 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-23-bears-ron-turner-oct23,0,2509088,print.column

I'm not going to quote anything because the whole article is worth reading. I'll hang up and wait for BC's thoughtful rebuttal.

I think the scouts comments should carry some weight in his defense, they study (and have
access to way more footage on top of it) the details way more.  But the actual "facts" used
to discount the perceptions are a joke.  For starters, 74% of runs in the tackle box is calling
a lot of runs up the gut, but who gives a shit, we all know the linemen can't get outside
to block.  And "50" formations isn't a real stat, most of that is just juggling receiver positions.

Non-idiotic fans don't think Turner runs a high school offense or anything.  They complain that
the Bears continue to pretend that power football is what they are about.  They try and shove
the ball down the defenses throat in short yardage and red zone situations when they obviously
can't.  Sure, plenty of blame lies with the offensive players (mostly the line) for not executing,
but when it happens every time then it's the coaches job to call some plays that might actually
work.  Honestly, when this is the best you can come up with for creativity:
They have used Greg Olsen as a fullback, Devin Hester as a quarterback and Matt Forte as a wide
receiver. They have used empty backfields and the Wildcat. They have played the shotgun on 69 snaps.
That's sad.  The shotgun has not been creative in 20+ years, empty backfields in 10+. 
They've run the wildcat (also Hester as QB, nice double count) all of, what, once?

I don't think Turner is an awful coordinator in general.  But his desire or Lovie's mandates in
short yardage (and critical) moments of the game to play power football are going to kill
this team's playoff chances.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #635 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »
Quote from: Pre on October 23, 2009, 10:56:53 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 23, 2009, 10:04:09 AM

I think the scouts comments should carry some weight in his defense, they study (and have
access to way more footage on top of it) the details way more.  But the actual "facts" used
to discount the perceptions are a joke.  For starters, 74% of runs in the tackle box is calling
a lot of runs up the gut, but who gives a shit, we all know the linemen can't get outside
to block.  And "50" formations isn't a real stat, most of that is just juggling receiver positions.

Non-idiotic fans don't think Turner runs a high school offense or anything.  They complain that
the Bears continue to pretend that power football is what they are about.  They try and shove
the ball down the defenses throat in short yardage and red zone situations when they obviously
can't.  Sure, plenty of blame lies with the offensive players (mostly the line) for not executing,
but when it happens every time then it's the coaches job to call some plays that might actually
work.  Honestly, when this is the best you can come up with for creativity:
They have used Greg Olsen as a fullback, Devin Hester as a quarterback and Matt Forte as a wide
receiver. They have used empty backfields and the Wildcat. They have played the shotgun on 69 snaps.
That's sad.  The shotgun has not been creative in 20+ years, empty backfields in 10+. 
They've run the wildcat (also Hester as QB, nice double count) all of, what, once?

I don't think Turner is an awful coordinator in general.  But his desire or Lovie's mandates in
short yardage (and critical) moments of the game to play power football are going to kill
this team's playoff chances.

Dammit, Pre. You're supposed to give BC a chance to say something stupid before you respond with reasonable criticisms of Turner. Now he's just going to agree with what you said.

I agree that the 'inside run' stats were strange, only because of the way Pompei framed them. I can't believe fans actually think the Bears need to run more plays outside the tackle. If anything, as I think SKO has mentioned, they need more quick-hitting run plays right up the middle, instead of waiting for Omiyale's fat ass to pull around the end.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #636 on: October 23, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »
Don't make me post Rick Morrissey's turd from today.  Because I'll do it.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #637 on: October 24, 2009, 04:47:51 PM »
Quote from: R-V on October 23, 2009, 11:10:15 AM

Dammit, Pre. You're supposed to give BC a chance to say something stupid before you respond with reasonable criticisms of Turner. Now he's just going to agree with what you said.

Whatever.

In Turner's defense (What?), I will grant that he has had some shitty offensive lines to "work" with. The best play-caller in the world is going to look awful when his quarterback doesn't have time and his running back is getting hit in the backfield.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #638 on: October 25, 2009, 03:12:04 PM »
**gets ready for hilarious overreaction posts**

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #639 on: October 25, 2009, 03:47:33 PM »
**OVERREACTS!@!!))***
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #640 on: October 25, 2009, 03:52:00 PM »
Quote from: Cillit Bang on October 25, 2009, 03:12:04 PM
**gets ready for hilarious overreaction posts**

I'm just pissed my TiVo won't let me go back and start this game from the beginning. Everytime I press play, it plays from the beginning for a few seconds and goes straight to live action. Based off of the score, I'm not sure I wanted to see the first quarter, though.

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #641 on: October 25, 2009, 03:55:16 PM »
Well, that was a very inspiring start.

Or something.
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #642 on: October 25, 2009, 03:59:52 PM »
Tigers and Bears.  And playing like Lions.

Oh, my.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #643 on: October 25, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »
anger
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #644 on: October 25, 2009, 04:00:16 PM »
I still hate this team's secondary.