News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #690 on: October 26, 2009, 09:27:35 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 09:25:19 AM
I've got no problem with that guy's proposed offensive line alignment. It can't be any worse than what's out there right now, and they may as well give Williams his shot at the left tackle position anyway. It's what they drafted him to be, and other than a few penalties he's actually looked alright. Pace and Omiyale just suck, and there's no excuse that can really be made for them at this point.

Maybe they still haven't gelled?

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #691 on: October 26, 2009, 09:29:01 AM »
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 09:25:19 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2009, 09:16:14 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 26, 2009, 08:59:05 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2009, 08:51:58 AM
What the hell?

http://blogs.suntimes.com/bears/2009/10/confusing_case_harris_says_sor.html

Christ. Cut him this offseason. Cut Vasher too, cut Pace while they're at it. Free up all the cap space you can, then just go Dan Snyder on everything and sign every overrated free agent you can find. Just burn this fucking thing down. Anything else I can grossly overreact to?

I just have no idea what's going on with Tommie. Jerry says he's healthy, then Lovie says he's not. Then Tommie says he is. There must've been extra tard juice in the water cooler at Halas Hall this week.

As for the next entry on Biggs' blog, I found two comments that actually make some sense.

QuoteBy Mike S on October 26, 2009 4:00 AM

An Unemotional take on the Bears game:

1) Offense:

a) It would appear 99% of the problem is based on the offensive line.
They can't run or pass block. You could put any RB out there and he couldn't get more than 2.5 yards per carry (except for maybe Barry Sanders-because he was never used to having an OL).
The pass blocking is of course atrocious as well. Anyone wonder why Cutler is only taking 3 step drops? Because the the OL can't protect him for 5 and 7 step drops. Hence we have no deep passing game.
b) thoughts on Jay Cutler: He is probably as good or better than expected. We would probably 2 more losses (SEA, PIT) without him (although Orton probably would have won the GB game). If you blame those interceptions yesterday on him you weren't really watching the game. When you get hit every time you drop back then even Peyton Manning is going to throw picks. If Cutler were more immature he would be calling out the OL publicly but of course that doesn't help.
c) I predict Josh Beekman will replace Frank Omiyale this week. I doubt we will see other changes.

2) Defense:

a) the secondary is actually a little better than what I thought it would be. We could win with the secondary as it is if there was a consistent pass rush.

b) Adewale Oglunleye and Alex Brown just aren't very good pass rushers. Of course they could look really really good if there was penetration from the 3 technique DT which would prevent the opposing QB from stepping up in the pocket-(something that makes average DE's look like probowlers).

QuoteBy Joe Felicelli on October 26, 2009 8:45 AM

Omiyale and Pace may be the worst left side in my lifetime as a Bear fan. It might even be worse than when Stan Thomas was at left tackle. Qasim Mitchell, Mike Gandy, John St. Clair....this is no better. The only way Pace can block anybody is when they try to bull rush him, as he can get into them and lean on them until they collapse. Omiyale can't even get out of his stance to make a block. He seems to think he can extend with a hand punch, and that is enough to stop his opponent. Shaffer at RT, Beekman at LG, and a move to LT for Williams is the right call to make coming up on Cleveland. That is pretty well a non-contact scrimmage for us, so it should be a good chance to find out if we can actually protect Cutler for more than 2 seconds.

I've got no problem with that guy's proposed offensive line alignment. It can't be any worse than what's out there right now, and they may as well give Williams his shot at the left tackle position anyway. It's what they drafted him to be, and other than a few penalties he's actually looked alright. Pace and Omiyale just suck, and there's no excuse that can really be made for them at this point.

Omiyale may be one of the worst offensive linemen I've ever seen. He constantly gets beat. You would think once he would get lucky and come up with a good block. It's time for this line to be reworked.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #692 on: October 26, 2009, 10:13:01 AM »
Maybe it's Tommie's hamstring that's bothering him. He royally fucked that up too and I see him stretching that sucker out during games. I don't know what the Bears have to gain by being transparent with the media about the guy's injuries. Do you? Can you give me a good reason why they should do anything they're not required by league rules to do? It has often puzzled me just how bent out of shape people get about coaches' comments on anything related to injuries or strategies on or around a game day. People act like they're ENTITLED to know what's going behind the scenes as if they own a stake in the fucking team or some shit.

Just shut up and drink your light beer, douche. The grownups are having a football season now.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #693 on: October 26, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 26, 2009, 10:13:01 AM
Maybe it's Tommie's hamstring that's bothering him. He royally fucked that up too and I see him stretching that sucker out during games. I don't know what the Bears have to gain by being transparent with the media about the guy's injuries. Do you? Can you give me a good reason why they should do anything they're not required by league rules to do? It has often puzzled me just how bent out of shape people get about coaches' comments on anything related to injuries or strategies on or around a game day. People act like they're ENTITLED to know what's going behind the scenes as if they own a stake in the fucking team or some shit.

Just shut up and drink your light beer, douche. The grownups are having a football season now.

I don't care if the Bears are lying to me about Tommie being hurt. I'm ANGRY about the fact that having a dominant Cover Two defense is based largely on having a baby-eating three-technique tackle. They've shown by their lack of a viable backup plan that they still think Tommie can be that guy. I could give a shit if they lie to me about his old-lady legs, but I think they're lying to themselves about it too.

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #694 on: October 26, 2009, 10:25:40 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2009, 10:20:22 AM

I don't care if the Bears are lying to me about Tommie being hurt. I'm ANGRY about the fact that having a dominant Cover Two defense is based largely on having a baby-eating three-technique tackle. They've shown by their lack of a viable backup plan that they still think Tommie can be that guy. I could give a shit if they lie to me about his old-lady legs, but I think they're lying to themselves about it too.

It's not like those guys grow on trees. They've drafted D-Linemen, traded for them, signed them as free agents. But we get it, you know those guys all suck and Angelo should be fired along with Lovie, Phillips and Tommie. I'm not saying I disagree.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #695 on: October 26, 2009, 10:28:42 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 26, 2009, 10:25:40 AM
Quote from: R-V on October 26, 2009, 10:20:22 AM

It's not like those guys grow on trees. They've drafted D-Linemen, traded for them, signed them as free agents. But we get it, you know those guys all suck and Angelo should be fired along with Lovie, Phillips and Tommie. I'm not saying I disagree.

It's written in the Reasonable Fan Bylaws that you're allowed to go apeshit on the entire team for 48 hours after a 30+ point loss, and for 72 hours after a 40+ point loss. So I'm with you, FIRE DE WHOLE DAM LOT OF DESE EGG SUCKING BUMS!

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #696 on: October 26, 2009, 10:31:28 AM »
DPD. More good news!

QuoteThe NFL has changed its team ownership rules so that a lead owner can now control as little as 10 percent of the franchise, half of the previous minimum, league sources said.

Owners approved the change at their fall meetings in Boston earlier this month.

The NFL is renowned for having ownership requirements far more onerous than any other league, but aging owners and increasing team values have combined to create significant estate-planning challenges.

The recent difficulties the Rooney family endured retaining ownership of the Pittsburgh Steelers in part sparked the revision of the rule.

"This change helps facilitate succession planning," an NFL source said.

QuoteAt the same time, many of the league's owners are aging. Several years ago, Mike McCaskey, son of 86-year-old Chicago Bears owner Virginia McCaskey approached the league about relaxing its ownership requirements. The league rebuffed him at the time, but at least on paper, a path to ownership now would be easier for him.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #697 on: October 26, 2009, 10:41:36 AM »
I figured it out guys Do not fret.

This morning on my drive into verk I had the pleasure of hearing Motard Matty and Danny Mac tell us that the reason the Bears lost is because Cutler and Olsen had dinner with Ocho last night. They weren't in their hotel rooms with their heads buried under the pillow envisioning success like their sports psychologists told them. They weren't watching film until 9 pm and then promptly rendezvousing with Mr. Sandman for a full eight. No sir - they were hobnobbing with the enemy. You hear that? They were enjoying a meal together. In public, no less.

Then after the game they were friendly to players on the other team. According to Motard Matt, they didn't kick enough ass to be friendly with other human beings.

So that pretty much solves the mystery.

You're welcome.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #698 on: October 26, 2009, 10:49:27 AM »
Quote from: Cillit Bang on October 26, 2009, 10:41:36 AM

This morning on my drive into verk I had the pleasure of hearing Motard Matty and Danny Mac tell us that the reason the Bears lost is because Cutler and Olsen had dinner with Ocho last night. They weren't in their hotel rooms with their heads buried under the pillow envisioning success like their sports psychologists told them. They weren't watching film until 9 pm and then promptly rendezvousing with Mr. Sandman for a full eight. No sir - they were hobnobbing with the enemy. You hear that? They were enjoying a meal together. In public, no less.

Then after the game they were friendly to players on the other team. According to Motard Matt, they didn't kick enough ass to be friendly with other human beings.

You're welcome.

Quote from: Intrepid Reader Chip CarayWho picked up the check?  I need closure to this story.
Hire Jim Essian!

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #699 on: October 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM »

You're welcome.

Also, not enough line stunts.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #700 on: October 26, 2009, 10:56:59 AM »
Quote from: CT III on October 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM

You're welcome.

They didn't play "Bear Football"

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #701 on: October 26, 2009, 11:05:43 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 26, 2009, 10:56:59 AM
Quote from: CT III on October 26, 2009, 10:50:55 AM

You're welcome.

They didn't play "Bear Football"

And there was a disticnt lack of "da Fire" and "da Passion"
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #702 on: October 26, 2009, 11:21:05 AM »
Lovie said after the game that they all have a lot to learn from this week. No idea what can be learned from an ass beating like this game.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #703 on: October 26, 2009, 11:25:48 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 26, 2009, 11:21:05 AM
Lovie said after the game that they all have a lot to learn from this week. No idea what can be learned from an ass beating like this game.

How to beat ass?
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #704 on: October 26, 2009, 11:37:10 AM »
I'll let the more statistically-dexterous answer this question: Could the game simply be a big anomaly? Maybe the Bengals are better than the Bears, maybe they're better at home, etc. But suppose you played these 2 teams 100 times and 98 times the Bears are embarrassed, but it just happens that this time they were?

In baseball and basketball, good teams lay eggs all the time. Like here. And here. And here.

And here. And here.

I know that a football season is shorter and that a loss means more. But had the Bears lost 24-23 on a last-second field goal, would it be any better?