News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers  ( 202,926 )

Internet Apex

• SSM's Resident Octagonacologist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: 2009-10 Bears Season: Utler, 'Uther 'Uckers
« Reply #735 on: October 30, 2009, 09:05:54 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 30, 2009, 08:52:08 AM
Quote from: SKO on October 29, 2009, 09:28:45 AM
I'm just glad they didn't say they were going to "give Omiyale one last chance to redeem himself," have him flatten some shitty Brown all day, save his job, and then get his ass handed to him against Arizona. Get Beekman in now, let him get comfortable against Cleveland, have a (marginally) improved line ready for Arizona.

He could have just said it last week.  1 week too late, at least it didn't matter.

And did I read that Beekman played all 16 games last year?  I'll confess I didn't know that, and actually because I didn't hear his name much and didn't remember him playing--which for an O lineman (especially guards) would imply that he's done his job--I'm suddenly RETROANGRY that they apparently had decided to try to fix what wasn't broken.  Nice move, Jerry.

Not broken? That line was not very good last year. They had the same short-yardage problems they have now and on 3rd & Long KO was on a buffet table with big sweaty men sticking forks in his ass.
The 37th Tenet of Pexism:  Apestink is terrible.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #736 on: October 30, 2009, 09:14:50 AM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on October 30, 2009, 09:05:54 AM
I'm just glad they didn't say they were going to "give Omiyale one last chance to redeem himself," have him flatten some shitty Brown all day, save his job, and then get his ass handed to him against Arizona. Get Beekman in now, let him get comfortable against Cleveland, have a (marginally) improved line ready for Arizona.

He could have just said it last week.  1 week too late, at least it didn't matter.

And did I read that Beekman played all 16 games last year?  I'll confess I didn't know that, and actually because I didn't hear his name much and didn't remember him playing--which for an O lineman (especially guards) would imply that he's done his job--I'm suddenly RETROANGRY that they apparently had decided to try to fix what wasn't broken.  Nice move, Jerry.

Not broken? That line was not very good last year. They had the same short-yardage problems they have now and on 3rd & Long KO was on a buffet table with big sweaty men sticking forks in his ass.

I think he's more referring to the specific change of Beekman for Omiyale, not the attempt to upgrade the line in general. That line sucked, but the tackles were more of a problem than the guards, as Beekman and Garza actually graded out as the best two players on the line. So instead of upgrading from John Tait and Fatty St. Clair, they replaced Beekman, who wasn't the problem, with a crappier alternative, signed an immobile old hack to play left tackle, and then moved Chris Williams from his natural position to right tackle, all while Kreutz got a year older. So yeah, great offseason.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #737 on: October 30, 2009, 09:15:32 AM »

I disagree.  Forte had bigger holes and Kyle Ortman was not abused like Cutler's been.  Hell, even Rex Grossman, who would often fall down just by moving, managed to stay upright in his few games.  This can and should be all be looked up by someone who's not us and then I'll meet you on the hill.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #738 on: October 30, 2009, 09:42:09 AM »
Quote from: MAD on October 30, 2009, 09:15:32 AM

I disagree.  Forte had bigger holes and Kyle Ortman was not abused like Cutler's been.  Hell, even Rex Grossman, who would often fall down just by moving, managed to stay upright in his few games.  This can and should be all be looked up by someone who's not us and then I'll meet you on the hill.

poss. hje

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #739 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:13 AM »
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 29, 2009, 10:15:37 AM
Quote from: Brownie on October 29, 2009, 10:01:45 AM
Do teams really scheme around bad personnel and wouldn't good teams at least work under the assumption that if there are better personnel options that their opponents will eventually figure it out and switch to it? How will not telling anyone that Beekman and Harris are starting and Hillenmeyer and Roach are switching positions give the Bears any kind of edge? Was that the problem the last few years when Lovie was adamant that "Rex was our quarterback?"

Sure they do. They will probably attack a bad cornerback, a bad part of the oline, or a defensive end who can't play the run until the opponent switches up. Atlanta probably saw that Nick Roach couldn't handle the calls at MLB so they went no huddle and exploited it.

Atlanta KNEW that Hillenmeyer wasn't going to play, so Roach was it. They didn't know that Lovie and Turner and Hiestand were dumbasses and that Omiyale would continue to run out there and get beat. Cincinnati might have considered that someone on the Bears might have thought, "Hey, Hillenmeyer's better than Roach at MLB and Roach's better than Hillenmeyer at SLB, so maybe they'll swap positions."

It's not a case of, "The corners are bad, and their bench is thin, so let's keep throwing at shitty corner."

Internet Apex

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #740 on: October 30, 2009, 11:06:03 AM »
Quote from: Brownie on October 30, 2009, 10:01:13 AM
Quote from: Waco Kid on October 29, 2009, 10:15:37 AM
Quote from: Brownie on October 29, 2009, 10:01:45 AM
Do teams really scheme around bad personnel and wouldn't good teams at least work under the assumption that if there are better personnel options that their opponents will eventually figure it out and switch to it? How will not telling anyone that Beekman and Harris are starting and Hillenmeyer and Roach are switching positions give the Bears any kind of edge? Was that the problem the last few years when Lovie was adamant that "Rex was our quarterback?"

Sure they do. They will probably attack a bad cornerback, a bad part of the oline, or a defensive end who can't play the run until the opponent switches up. Atlanta probably saw that Nick Roach couldn't handle the calls at MLB so they went no huddle and exploited it.

Atlanta KNEW that Hillenmeyer wasn't going to play, so Roach was it. They didn't know that Lovie and Turner and Hiestand were dumbasses and that Omiyale would continue to run out there and get beat. Cincinnati might have considered that someone on the Bears might have thought, "Hey, Hillenmeyer's better than Roach at MLB and Roach's better than Hillenmeyer at SLB, so maybe they'll swap positions."

It's not a case of, "The corners are bad, and their bench is thin, so let's keep throwing at shitty corner."

But to be truthfully frank, it also was that.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #741 on: October 30, 2009, 11:09:20 AM »
Mulligan goes off on our coaches.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #742 on: October 30, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »
Quote from: BH on October 30, 2009, 11:09:20 AM

Insightful comment from thedmo:

QuoteRon Turner, meet Jason McKie. He's your fullback. Has yet to carry the ball all year. You see, the one-back offense you use (apparently because, as much as you hate to do it, even you concede you have to run the ball, at least in conventional situations). Good blocker. Take a look at the records of Matt Suhey and Walter Payton for a good example of a balanced run game. I know, you like to throw the ball, all the time, to everybody. Heck, I haven't forgotten that your first play last year was a pass to an eligible tackle. You'd probably have cutler throw to Lovie if you could figure out a way to make that happen. But it doesn't work. And, if you don't figure it out, neither will you.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #743 on: October 30, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
Quote from: R-V on October 30, 2009, 11:14:25 AM

QuoteRon Turner, meet Jason McKie. He's your fullback. Has yet to carry the ball all year. You see, the one-back offense you use (apparently because, as much as you hate to do it, even you concede you have to run the ball, at least in conventional situations). Good blocker. Take a look at the records of Matt Suhey and Walter Payton for a good example of a balanced run game. I know, you like to throw the ball, all the time, to everybody. Heck, I haven't forgotten that your first play last year was a pass to an eligible tackle. You'd probably have cutler throw to Lovie if you could figure out a way to make that happen. But it doesn't work. And, if you don't figure it out, neither will you.

Yes?
Go on...
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #744 on: October 30, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on October 30, 2009, 11:18:54 AM

Yes?
Go on...

If you can't figure it out, Pen, neither will you.
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #745 on: October 30, 2009, 06:09:36 PM »

Jason McKie blows.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #746 on: November 01, 2009, 02:10:59 PM »
This offensive line is fucking awful. Pathetic that Beekman immediately became one of their two best linemen.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #747 on: November 01, 2009, 02:23:52 PM »
Quote from: R-V on November 01, 2009, 02:10:59 PM
This offensive line is fucking awful. Pathetic that Beekman immediately became one of their two best linemen.

Jay Cutler will be dead by December. This team blows.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #748 on: November 01, 2009, 02:55:21 PM »
I think I saw T-Pain on the Burrs sideline. So that's nice.

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #749 on: November 01, 2009, 03:12:39 PM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 01, 2009, 02:23:52 PM
Quote from: R-V on November 01, 2009, 02:10:59 PM

Jay Cutler will be dead by December. This team blows.

At least we aren't fans of the Browns. The Browns are awful.