News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread  ( 21,942 )

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: We'll All Want To Have Albert Almora's Babies in 2016 Thread
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2016, 09:39:06 PM »
That was cool
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2016, 08:40:57 AM »
It's going to be really tough to send him back down.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2016, 08:46:19 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 08:40:57 AM

Little early to make that call--and they don't need to make it now anyway-- but if he keeps getting good wood on balls (||) like he has, he may prove worth the roster spot for this year.  I'm still more impressed with the double he had in Atlanta last Friday, where he got around on an outside fastball and just pulled it down the line. Still, he'd need to have more limited exposure than Soler because even though I've been an admitted fanboy of Almora's since the beginning, there's no way he can be expected to be an offensive contributor right now. So far so good, though.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2016, 08:48:58 AM »
DPD.  Would still be neat if he managed to stick and contribute.  With the inevitable Federowicz DFA/Contreras call-up, my head spins to think that a 97-win team with 4 rookies starting (and Baez) can follow it up with a better team but with 2 more rookies contributing.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2016, 08:54:04 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 15, 2016, 08:46:19 AM

Little early to make that call--and they don't need to make it now anyway-- but if he keeps getting good wood on balls (||) like he has, he may prove worth the roster spot for this year.  I'm still more impressed with the double he had in Atlanta last Friday, where he got around on an outside fastball and just pulled it down the line. Still, he'd need to have more limited exposure than Soler because even though I've been an admitted fanboy of Almora's since the beginning, there's no way he can be expected to be an offensive contributor right now. So far so good, though.

Maddon is better than any manager in the game at recognizing his own players' strengths and weaknesses and being able to use that recognition to put each player in the best position to succeed.

His glove is such a huge plus (and the tagging up to move to third was also pretty damn impressive - the kid has a good head on his shoulders), but ultimately if he's going to fight for ABs with Soler, the solution might be to let Almora get his ABs in Iowa.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2016, 08:57:41 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 08:54:04 AM

Maddon is better than any manager in the game at recognizing his own players' strengths and weaknesses and being able to use that recognition to put each player in the best position to succeed.

His glove is such a huge plus (and the tagging up to move to third was also pretty damn impressive - the kid has a good head on his shoulders), but ultimately if he's going to fight for ABs with Soler, the solution might be to let Almora get his ABs in Iowa.

Unless Soler gets dealt.  But otherwise, if Almora goes back to Iowa with the confidence of doing what he's already done in the bigs, I would expect him to keep it up in his last 2 months in AAA before coming back in September.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2016, 09:07:12 AM »
I actually kinda think he'll stay up regardless of what happens unless his offense is 2014 Javy ugly. His defense and baserunning are obviously major league ready and he has the kind of high contact offensive approach where I'm not sure there's much left for him to learn in the minors. His offensive ceiling is fairly low but if he's figured out how to make contact against big league pitching I'm not sure what's left for him to learn in the minors. He's kind of like Starlin in that regard.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2016, 09:11:31 AM »
Quote from: SKO on June 15, 2016, 09:07:12 AM
I actually kinda think he'll stay up regardless of what happens unless his offense is 2014 Javy ugly. His defense and baserunning are obviously major league ready and he has the kind of high contact offensive approach where I'm not sure there's much left for him to learn in the minors. His offensive ceiling is fairly low but if he's figured out how to make contact against big league pitching I'm not sure what's left for him to learn in the minors. He's kind of like Starlin in that regard.

Not sure if he's figured it out, so much as he remembers the pitchers he's faced in the past. He talked after the game about how he knows Solis from having faced him in the minors so his familiarity may have helped his approach...which itself is nice to know about Almora--that he's aware of his surroundings and he has good recall of his opposition for present and future circumstances.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM »

I'm also thinking Iowa is going to be a better spot for him once everyone is back healthy. He can be back in September and maybe even stick on the playoff roster as a late-inning defensive replacement. But in terms of his development, I'd rather he get another 250 at bats at AAA this year than be part-time player for most of the year in the bigs.

He hasn't looked lost at the plate though, which could either 1.) help his trade value or 2.) make it easier to go with him as the CF next year if Fowler walks for a huge payday after this year.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2016, 09:17:46 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM

I'm also thinking Iowa is going to be a better spot for him once everyone is back healthy. He can be back in September and maybe even stick on the playoff roster as a late-inning defensive replacement. But in terms of his development, I'd rather he get another 250 at bats at AAA this year than be part-time player for most of the year in the bigs.

He hasn't looked lost at the plate though, which could either 1.) help his trade value or 2.) make it easier to go with him as the CF next year if Fowler walks for a huge payday after this year.

Side note: If Dexter opts out (he will), do the Cubs get to do a Qualifying Offer again?

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2016, 09:19:49 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 15, 2016, 08:57:41 AM

Unless Soler gets dealt.  But otherwise, if Almora goes back to Iowa with the confidence of doing what he's already done in the bigs, I would expect him to keep it up in his last 2 months in AAA before coming back in September.

If they decide to keep Almora up, I'd think Szczur would be the one dealt. Almora is an upgrade over him right now.
TIME TO POST!

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:11 AM »
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 09:19:49 AM

If they decide to keep Almora up, I'd think Szczur would be the one dealt. Almora is an upgrade over him right now.

I think the decision won't be whether or not they call up Almora and decide to make a trade, but whether or not Soler gets packaged at the deadline and they have to decide between Almora and Szczur to replace the spot, in which case Szczur--if he's not also dealt-- probably loses.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2016, 09:22:33 AM »
Quote from: Eli on June 15, 2016, 09:16:20 AM

This is about where I am on Almora. Who knows what the outfield depth chart is going to look like after the trade deadline, but if your playoff roster comes down to a choice between Szczur and Almora, I think you have to go Albert for late inning defensive/pinch running strategery. This is assuming that Soler is healthy and hitting (a huge if), which means you go with Soler/Fowler/Heyward to start the game and then bring in Almora and Baez for the defensive death lineup once you get a lead.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2016, 09:23:48 AM »
Aaand FACED by Huey. I'm feeling as embarrassed as Eli must feel after completely writing off Almora's ability to play sports at all, let alone major league baseball.

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2016, 09:24:18 AM »
Quote from: PANK! on June 15, 2016, 09:22:11 AM
Quote from: Quality Start Machine on June 15, 2016, 09:19:49 AM

I think the decision won't be whether or not they call up Almora and decide to make a trade, but whether or not Soler gets packaged at the deadline and they have to decide between Almora and Szczur to replace the spot, in which case Szczur--if he's not also dealt-- probably loses.

Adding that my assumption is that if Soler is dealt it would be for Ann Drumiller or something similar, while the Cubs may still acquire someone like Jabe Roos, which would likely yield a platoon of Bruce (or whomever) and Bryant/Almora.