News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN  ( 20,868 )

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: STAR WARS EPISODE 7: THE SPOILERS AWAKEN
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2016, 08:02:56 AM »
Quote from: Canadouche on January 03, 2016, 08:42:49 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 03, 2016, 07:17:08 PM
Not sure how many viewings it will take me to not be heartbroken at the sight of Chewbacca sitting in Han's seat and flying the Falcon alone but so far three is not enough

Agreed. Reading what you wrote, it just dawned upon me that Chewie must've cared considerably for Ben -- the Wookie would've been there when the Young Solo was born, and Chewbacca would've seen him reared up until the point that they sent Ben off to be trained by Luke. Ben would've been part of Chewie's family. And yet, without hesitation, Chewie tried to blast him off a freaking bridge.

I thought about that too. Chewie was one of the very high points of this film and one of Lucas' great triumphs overall. I even thought the part where Chewie got shot was well done. Even though we knew he'd be alright, they made us feel that blast and made Chewie even more lovable than he'd always been. Those god forsaken CGI wookies in the prequels... what in the hell was Lucas doing?
The 39th Tenet of Pexism: True in the game as long as blood is blue in my vein.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2016, 08:17:45 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 08:02:56 AM
Not sure how many viewings it will take me to not be heartbroken at the sight of Chewbacca sitting in Han's seat and flying the Falcon alone but so far three is not enough

Agreed. Reading what you wrote, it just dawned upon me that Chewie must've cared considerably for Ben -- the Wookie would've been there when the Young Solo was born, and Chewbacca would've seen him reared up until the point that they sent Ben off to be trained by Luke. Ben would've been part of Chewie's family. And yet, without hesitation, Chewie tried to blast him off a freaking bridge.

I thought about that too. Chewie was one of the very high points of this film and one of Lucas' great triumphs overall. I even thought the part where Chewie got shot was well done. Even though we knew he'd be alright, they made us feel that blast and made Chewie even more lovable than he'd always been. Those god forsaken CGI wookies in the prequels... what in the hell was Lucas doing?

Yeah, I had the same thought. Kylo Ren betrayed Chewie almost as much as he had betrayed Han. You know Chewie gave that kid wookiee-back rides and would have died for him without a second thought. The movie really nailed his entire rage/grieving process over Han's death. I thought for a while we were gonna lose Chewie and Han both, because I thought Chewie might get himself killed trying to take the entire base down with him. The old explanation for how Han and Chewie became partners (and one that appears is still going to be in the new canon) was that Han saved Chewie from slavery at the hands of the Empire and Chewie swore a life debt to him, so you know Chewbacca feels he failed as Han's protector.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 04, 2016, 08:17:45 AM

Yeah, I had the same thought. Kylo Ren betrayed Chewie almost as much as he had betrayed Han. You know Chewie gave that kid wookiee-back rides and would have died for him without a second thought. The movie really nailed his entire rage/grieving process over Han's death. I thought for a while we were gonna lose Chewie and Han both, because I thought Chewie might get himself killed trying to take the entire base down with him. The old explanation for how Han and Chewie became partners (and one that appears is still going to be in the new canon) was that Han saved Chewie from slavery at the hands of the Empire and Chewie swore a life debt to him, so you know Chewbacca feels he failed as Han's protector.

I always used to feel so sad for Chewie when Han is about to hit the deep freeze and Chewie goes Tyson/Holyfield II on the stormtroopers. Darth just stands there like, bitch please, and it takes Han cooling the giant beast off to save him from certain demise. Fuck that's heartbreaking. JJ botched Han's death but the Chewie reaction goes in the plus column. That's one reason this movie will last and why I'm optimistic for future films.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2016, 08:43:02 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 08:39:22 AM

I always used to feel so sad for Chewie when Han is about to hit the deep freeze and Chewie goes Tyson/Holyfield II on the stormtroopers. Darth just stands there like, bitch please, and it takes Han cooling the giant beast off to save him from certain demise. Fuck that's heartbreaking. JJ botched Han's demise but the Chewie reaction goes in the plus column. That's one reason this movie will last and why I'm optimistic for future films.

I don't think he botched Han's demise. I think he tried to botch it with the overdone bridge over a bottomless pit part, but the two actors saved that scene for me. I guess I'm glad I have never watched Girls, because I thought Adam Driver was really good in this movie and in that scene and the only people I hear complain about it are people who seem to hate the guy for that show. Harrison Ford nailed it, too. When he puts his hand on Ben's cheek as if to forgive him for what he just did, that was well done.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2016, 08:56:30 AM »
Quote from: SKO on January 04, 2016, 08:43:02 AM

I always used to feel so sad for Chewie when Han is about to hit the deep freeze and Chewie goes Tyson/Holyfield II on the stormtroopers. Darth just stands there like, bitch please, and it takes Han cooling the giant beast off to save him from certain demise. Fuck that's heartbreaking. JJ botched Han's demise but the Chewie reaction goes in the plus column. That's one reason this movie will last and why I'm optimistic for future films.

I don't think he botched Han's demise. I think he tried to botch it with the overdone bridge over a bottomless pit part, but the two actors saved that scene for me. I guess I'm glad I have never watched Girls, because I thought Adam Driver was really good in this movie and in that scene and the only people I hear complain about it are people who seem to hate the guy for that show. Harrison Ford nailed it, too. When he puts his hand on Ben's cheek as if to forgive him for what he just did, that was well done.

I can't deal with Adam Driver properly. It's not him. It's me. But I can't.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2016, 09:03:02 AM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 08:56:30 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure this movie would've been even better if I could travel back in time and unwatch that season of Girls. God dammit.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »
Quote from: R-V on January 04, 2016, 09:03:02 AM
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 08:56:30 AM

Yeah I'm pretty sure this movie would've been even better if I could travel back in time and unwatch that season of Girls. God dammit.

I get it. I've had guys I cannot forgive for other characters they played ruin otherwise good movies for me as well. Just as a person who had never seen Adam Driver in anything before I found him to be pretty good in this movie.

I love Kylo Ren and how he uses the dark side. It's so physical and uncontrolled. You can see the rage in everything, even his lightsaber is about to explode. It's how I figured Darth Maul should have been the first time I saw him and yet all of the Sith in the prequels had such wonderfully perfect choreography and self-discipline despite supposedly drawing all of their power from fountains of rage and hatred rather than the self-composure and peace the Jedi use.

I mean, shit, Vader in the OT wasn't a calm, collected kendo master. He swung violently at Luke, threw half of Cloud City at him with the force, mostly just used his brute strength to overpower him when he wanted to. This felt like a progression of that.

Tonker

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2016, 04:27:16 PM »
Seriously, though... you guys should get girlfriends or something.
Your toilet's broken, Dave, but I fixed it.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2016, 04:53:22 PM »
Quote from: Tonker on January 04, 2016, 04:27:16 PM

We're going to continue to geek out on the minutiae of the Star Wars universe in spite of your whinging condescension about it. If and when there is something of interest to obsess over in the world of Sportz and boobs, I'll be all over it. I've had several good wanks today and my girlfriend will be home shortly so the boobilige is in no short supply. Sportz will remain horrible until at least mid-February.

So if anyone has read any canonical Star Wars comic books and wants to impart some wisdom, let's have it. 

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2016, 07:23:51 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 04:53:22 PM

We're going to continue to geek out on the minutiae of the Star Wars universe in spite of your whinging condescension about it. If and when there is something of interest to obsess over in the world of Sportz and boobs, I'll be all over it. I've had several good wanks today and my girlfriend will be home shortly so the boobilige is in no short supply. Sportz will remain horrible until at least mid-February.

So if anyone has read any canonical Star Wars comic books and wants to impart some wisdom, let's have it. 

Aftermath is good. Follows an interesting rag tag team of Rebels in the first month after Endor as the Empire begins to crumble. Kind of a slow build but good characters and it ends with them going off to be the Rebel Alliance version of the Inglourious Basterds,  hunting Imperial war criminals. First part of a trilogy.  It also has little interludes between the main storyline offering glimpses into how the war is going around the galaxy. Not a lot about Luke, Han, or Leia though.

The Shattered Empire comic has more of those three but really doesn't actually say much about what or how things happened after ROTJ.  It mostly just introduces you to Poe Dameron's parents, who are cool. Dad was part of Han's strike team on Endor, mom was a Y Wing pilot with Lando.

InternetApex

• Still Diggin'
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2016, 10:14:45 PM »
Quote from: SKO on January 04, 2016, 07:23:51 PM

Aftermath is good. Follows an interesting rag tag team of Rebels in the first month after Endor as the Empire begins to crumble. Kind of a slow build but good characters and it ends with them going off to be the Rebel Alliance version of the Inglourious Basterds,  hunting Imperial war criminals. First part of a trilogy.  It also has little interludes between the main storyline offering glimpses into how the war is going around the galaxy. Not a lot about Luke, Han, or Leia though.

The Shattered Empire comic has more of those three but really doesn't actually say much about what or how things happened after ROTJ.  It mostly just introduces you to Poe Dameron's parents, who are cool. Dad was part of Han's strike team on Endor, mom was a Y Wing pilot with Lando.

Any boobs? Asking for a friend.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2016, 10:22:57 PM »
Quote from: InternetApex on January 04, 2016, 10:14:45 PM
Quote from: SKO on January 04, 2016, 07:23:51 PM

Any boobs? Asking for a friend.

No boobs, some ghey characters in Aftermath,  though, which has led to a lot of nerds who think a girl being the sex slave of a giant space slug is hot saying that the author is ruining Star Wars with his perverted agenda.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2016, 11:57:50 PM »
Quote from: SKO on December 21, 2015, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 21, 2015, 10:34:25 AM
Still a little sad that the movie was more remake than newmake.  How many scenes were taken almost directly from Star Wars and Empire - 8 or 9? But it was so well done I don't really care.  I'm also very glad JJ isn't doing VIII. He's not a very original filmmaker.

It definitely aped a New Hope in a lot of ways, but then again, A New Hope is about as bog standard a version of the Hero's Journey as you can get. Anytime you tell that story you're going to see strong similarities. Star Wars has never really been about original concepts. It's basic storytelling. It's all a matter of how well they execute the story and how well they use that universe and how much they make you care about the people going on the journey. It succeeded where it needed to.

The original was an homage to a hodgepodge of sci-fi serials, westerns, adventure films and whatnot. I've seen TFA described as an homage of an homage, which rings true.

JJ Abrams has proven himself capable of dutiful imitation of his predecessors. "Super 8" was a mostly enjoyable but forgettable direct homage to "E.T." and "Close Encounters." TFA was much better than that, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I'm not convinced yet that it has any staying power with me. In part because I think its execution leaned a little too much towards aping.

Quote from: Tonker on December 24, 2015, 01:26:52 AM
Wow.  You guys are spending waaaaaaay too much time thinking about this.  All the while this sadsack thread has been running, I've been thinking about boobs, and sports, and beer.

We get it. You're sick and tired of this site's Social Justice Warrior agenda and the pussifying effect it's having on our Western male essence.

Quote from: R-V on December 24, 2015, 08:40:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 21, 2015, 10:11:18 AMI had it spoiled for me by some random asshole on Twitter -- screenshot and all -- so I knew it was coming.

Seriously? So someone you follow did this? That's fucked up.

I had it spoiled for me by my 7-year-old nephew. Now it's a matter for the authorities in the Colorado department of Child Welfare.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Kylo Ren betrayed Chewie almost as much as he had betrayed Han. You know Chewie gave that kid wookiee-back rides and would have died for him without a second thought.

http://tysonmurphy.tumblr.com/post/136936953919/star-wars-7-spoilers-a-quick-little-comic-i

Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on January 10, 2016, 11:57:50 PM
Quote from: SKO on December 21, 2015, 10:43:18 AM
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on December 21, 2015, 10:34:25 AM
Still a little sad that the movie was more remake than newmake.  How many scenes were taken almost directly from Star Wars and Empire - 8 or 9? But it was so well done I don't really care.  I'm also very glad JJ isn't doing VIII. He's not a very original filmmaker.

It definitely aped a New Hope in a lot of ways, but then again, A New Hope is about as bog standard a version of the Hero's Journey as you can get. Anytime you tell that story you're going to see strong similarities. Star Wars has never really been about original concepts. It's basic storytelling. It's all a matter of how well they execute the story and how well they use that universe and how much they make you care about the people going on the journey. It succeeded where it needed to.

The original was an homage to a hodgepodge of sci-fi serials, westerns, adventure films and whatnot. I've seen TFA described as an homage of an homage, which rings true.

JJ Abrams has proven himself capable of dutiful imitation of his predecessors. "Super 8" was a mostly enjoyable but forgettable direct homage to "E.T." and "Close Encounters." TFA was much better than that, and I enjoyed it thoroughly, but I'm not convinced yet that it has any staying power with me. In part because I think its execution leaned a little too much towards aping.

Quote from: Tonker on December 24, 2015, 01:26:52 AM
Wow.  You guys are spending waaaaaaay too much time thinking about this.  All the while this sadsack thread has been running, I've been thinking about boobs, and sports, and beer.

We get it. You're sick and tired of this site's Social Justice Warrior agenda and the pussifying effect it's having on our Western male essence.

Quote from: R-V on December 24, 2015, 08:40:42 AM
Quote from: Eli on December 21, 2015, 10:11:18 AMI had it spoiled for me by some random asshole on Twitter -- screenshot and all -- so I knew it was coming.

Seriously? So someone you follow did this? That's fucked up.

I had it spoiled for me by my 7-year-old nephew. Now it's a matter for the authorities in the Colorado department of Child Welfare.

Yeah, I had the same thought. Kylo Ren betrayed Chewie almost as much as he had betrayed Han. You know Chewie gave that kid wookiee-back rides and would have died for him without a second thought.

http://tysonmurphy.tumblr.com/post/136936953919/star-wars-7-spoilers-a-quick-little-comic-i

The staying power is a good point. I've said the staying power depends entirely on how good and original 8 and 9 are. If the sequels end up sucking, I'm going to look back on this with barely more fondness than I do the original JJ Trek movie. An entertaining reboot that ended up going nowhere that I haven't bothered to watch again since the sequel blew chunks.

The movie did ape ANH in a lot of ways, but it also subverted a lot of those things. If it did so as the launching point for a new, good trilogy that goes new places in the next two installments, it'll only get better as time goes on, if it did so just to set up two shitty movies, it'll be largely forgotten.

Canadouche

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2016, 07:26:10 AM »
So which of you sickos is Tyson Murphy? Clearly he reads these forums.
M'lady.