News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME  ( 81,524 )

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 11, 2009, 03:42:43 AM
Quote from: Slack-E on November 10, 2009, 04:12:57 PM
How do you guys maintain healthy relationships with females? See, a sports game at least takes a finite amount of time. This? You could conceivably play for hours on end with a bed pan 'neath ya. No lie, Weebs and Yeti have not stopped playing this game yet today.

Color me baffled.

I do have a relationship with a female. It just happens to be that b/c of distance apart, both working full-time jobs, and me going to school makes it to where we see each other on the weekends mainly, with a few exceptions

Those weekend trips to Niagara Falls must be rough.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2009, 08:59:40 AM »
Also, the difference between a game like COD and, say, Madden is minimal. Gameplay is different, but how long you can play? Same thing. From what I remember, a sports game can take 25 -45 minutes to play, depending on the type, length, etc. Matches on Call of Duty are 15 minutes (most of the time they're shorter anyway. More like 10 minutes.) So, one could easily play 3-4 matches in the time it takes someone to play one sports game. The difference that you were talking about it personal choice, not what game you play. If I popped in Madden, I could easily play it for hours on end if I chose to. It just doesn't make sense to justify your playing sports as somehow less crappy than our choice to play COD.

I, admittedly, played it for quite some time yesterday. I also took the day off. As far as the game, IAN, I agree with you. Those care packages are nice. I unlocked the Emergency care package (8 kills) and used one. It drops 4 care packages. In there was an AC130, Precision Airstrike, Harrier, and Ammo. I got the first 2 before someone killed me and took the last two. That one is kind of risky as the time for the plane to get there is longer and enemies can try to get to you. Also, make sure you have a big clearing b/c they're slightly spread out. The game is good as it's balanced really well. There's a shitload of stuff to complete. The single player is still retardedly difficult.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 11, 2009, 08:59:40 AM
Also, the difference between a game like COD and, say, Madden is minimal. Gameplay is different, but how long you can play? Same thing. From what I remember, a sports game can take 25 -45 minutes to play, depending on the type, length, etc. Matches on Call of Duty are 15 minutes (most of the time they're shorter anyway. More like 10 minutes.) So, one could easily play 3-4 matches in the time it takes someone to play one sports game. The difference that you were talking about it personal choice, not what game you play. If I popped in Madden, I could easily play it for hours on end if I chose to. It just doesn't make sense to justify your playing sports as somehow less crappy than our choice to play COD.

I, admittedly, played it for quite some time yesterday. I also took the day off. As far as the game, IAN, I agree with you. Those care packages are nice. I unlocked the Emergency care package (8 kills) and used one. It drops 4 care packages. In there was an AC130, Precision Airstrike, Harrier, and Ammo. I got the first 2 before someone killed me and took the last two. That one is kind of risky as the time for the plane to get there is longer and enemies can try to get to you. Also, make sure you have a big clearing b/c they're slightly spread out. The game is good as it's balanced really well. There's a shitload of stuff to complete. The single player is still retardedly difficult.

THIS.  A thousand times, THIS.

I agree that the multiplayer is balanced really well and they took pretty much all of the faults of the first game and fixed them.  My only complaints right now seem like they could be network-related.  I've watched a few kill cams, and I'll be getting shot even when their crosshair isn't on me, or there's a slight delay so on that cam, they shot me before it showed up on my actual game.  Hell, I got one of the game-winning kills and on the cam at the end, I sniped the guy despite having my crosshairs about 2 feet off of his head.  Either these are just a few hiccups because the servers were so busy at launch, or it's just a problem with my own connection.  Regardless, the game is fun as hell.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »
The "controversial" level took some serious balls.  Good job, Infinity Ward.  I'm playing on Veteran until it gets too tough, then I'll bump it down.  I don't think it's unreasonably hard yet, but I haven't made it too far.
Hire Jim Essian!

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:08 AM »
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 11, 2009, 09:54:37 AM
The "controversial" level took some serious balls.  Good job, Infinity Ward.  I'm playing on Veteran until it gets too tough, then I'll bump it down.  I don't think it's unreasonably hard yet, but I haven't made it too far.

I agree, but I also think they wasted the impact of this level (and most others) through really bad storytelling.  I mean I was able to figure out why this level was so crucial to the story, and the kind of impact it had, but the mission briefings are really bad at giving you the information you need.  You just sort of get these guys talking about sometimes-unrelated crap, and then you're thrown into chaos.  And unfortunately, most of the people in the media will probably just see that airport mission with absolutely no context or understanding of how it fits into the story, so they'll just look at it as a tasteless attempt at getting some shock value from Infinity Ward.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 10:13:35 AM »

What's controversial about it?
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2009, 10:17:06 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 11, 2009, 10:13:08 AM

I agree, but I also think they wasted the impact of this level (and most others) through really bad storytelling.  I mean I was able to figure out why this level was so crucial to the story, and the kind of impact it had, but the mission briefings are really bad at giving you the information you need.  You just sort of get these guys talking about sometimes-unrelated crap, and then you're thrown into chaos.  And unfortunately, most of the people in the media will probably just see that airport mission with absolutely no context or understanding of how it fits into the story, so they'll just look at it as a tasteless attempt at getting some shock value from Infinity Ward.

I've heard the story on this one is kinda bad, but I really don't care. I fast forward through the story crap anyway. I don't know the last time I've played a game where I actually paid attention to the story.

Quote from: JD on November 11, 2009, 10:13:35 AM

You go through an airport with some machine guns and just mow down civilians. Probably a few hundred people killed. Doing something like that is a little risky seeing as how every school shooting (or sometimes regular shootings) are blamed on the video games.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:12 AM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 11, 2009, 10:17:06 AM
Quote from: Weebs on November 11, 2009, 10:13:08 AM

I've heard the story on this one is kinda bad, but I really don't care. I fast forward through the story crap anyway. I don't know the last time I've played a game where I actually paid attention to the story.

Quote from: JD on November 11, 2009, 10:13:35 AM

You go through an airport with some machine guns and just mow down civilians. Probably a few hundred people killed. Doing something like that is a little risky seeing as how every school shooting (or sometimes regular shootings) are blamed on the video games.

The good news is, Infinity Ward does a really good job about giving you the option to just skip it, as opposed to making you play through the level.  Also, if some kids can get a bunch of machine guns into an airport, then we've got a lot less to worry about than a video game level.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2009, 10:19:47 AM »

I think you took my question completely out of context. I want MW2 pretty badly. I'm just saying I could play one game of hockey or whatever and go back to other shit. But if I hop online with a pal and play capture the flag or whatever I would be unable to tear myself away.

Kermit, B.

• Missing Daryle Ward since 10/04/08
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2009, 10:25:01 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 11, 2009, 10:19:47 AM

I think you took my question completely out of context. I want MW2 pretty badly. I'm just saying I could play one game of hockey or whatever and go back to other shit. But if I hop online with a pal and play capture the flag or whatever I would be unable to tear myself away.

Yeah, I specifically didn't jump into multiplayer last night because I had to meet a client this morning and didn't want to get drawn in and stay up late.
Hire Jim Essian!

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2009, 10:35:13 AM »
Quote from: Slack-E on November 11, 2009, 10:19:47 AM

ah, ok. That makes complete sense.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2009, 10:45:45 AM »
You want to know how far I got in the story?  I was in the opening credits of it, waiting patiently (because I like to kind of see the cinematics they produce leading up to the first mission).  I was hoping that my gamertag "so-n-so is online" popup would go unnoticed by my friends once I jumped online.  Nope.  Couldn't even finish the opening cinematic before I was bombarded with multiplayer requests.  I mean, I just couldn't ignore that.

I see what Slak's saying.  Once I get wrapped up in the multiplayer, especially with some onloin nerd pals in a game like this, it's damn near impossible to tear me away.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2009, 11:02:08 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 11, 2009, 10:45:45 AM
You want to know how far I got in the story?  I was in the opening credits of it, waiting patiently (because I like to kind of see the cinematics they produce leading up to the first mission).  I was hoping that my gamertag "so-n-so is online" popup would go unnoticed by my friends once I jumped online.  Nope.  Couldn't even finish the opening cinematic before I was bombarded with multiplayer requests.  I mean, I just couldn't ignore that.

I see what Slak's saying.  Once I get wrapped up in the multiplayer, especially with some onloin nerd pals in a game like this, it's damn near impossible to tear me away.

Nerds everywhere share your plight.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 11, 2009, 11:02:08 AM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 11, 2009, 10:45:45 AM

Nerds everywhere share your plight.

I'm a big fan of the new maps, too.  They've opened them up, added some verticality and range.  The only problem I have are the couple maps with all the houses and buildings to go through.  It's a camper's delight...I hate getting surprised with a shotgun to the face.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2009, 12:46:35 PM »
Since y'all are probably playing on XBox, I'll tell you about the manifold problems with the PS3 version of the game.  First, the invite system was changed.  Specifically, you have to send a message to a friend and then he has to open his inbox in order to join.  Much worse than MW1.

Second, the PSN servers are down today.  So, that really sucks.

Other than that, steakballsauce.