News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME  ( 81,525 )

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Activision announces Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2; It's BONERTIME
« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2009, 04:29:06 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 16, 2009, 04:14:27 PM
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 16, 2009, 04:11:36 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 16, 2009, 04:02:45 PM
Quote from: Kermit, B. on November 16, 2009, 04:00:51 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 16, 2009, 03:55:53 PM
Quote from: Gil Gunderson on November 16, 2009, 03:06:03 PM
Quote from: Weebs on November 16, 2009, 01:32:33 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 16, 2009, 01:23:07 PM
Quote from: Weebs on November 16, 2009, 01:08:59 PM
I'm starting to dislike playing in matches with mostly high-level players.  It seems like a majority of them do nothing but camp.

Goddamnit, Weebs.  In a thread long, long ago (I think it was the W@W thread) you said all you do is camp.  How's it feel, pussy?

I said I sniped a lot in that game.  Sniping sometimes equals camping, but I always moved around as much as I could in that.  There's almost no way to move around and snipe in any game, especially Modern Warfare.

If you think getting FMJ takes a while, wait until you try to get the extended magazine.  For those scoring at home, that's 40 kills through walls or other barricades.  Guh.

I've found that sleight of hand works well with the LMGs, mostly.  I really don't feel a need for it in any of the other gun classes, and I reload after each kill or after most shots.  I guess I find having two attachments versus a marginally faster reload time to be more effective in my game.

And yes, the campers are becoming annoying, especially now with the silenced sniper rifles.  I feel like I have to check every single corner when I'm running, because I think that there is a guy hiding in every nook and crany. 

PS - Does anyone else find the AC130 gunship hard to use?  I can't seem to get ahold of how to use that effectively.

I didn't find it difficult, I just couldn't do much with it.  What's really awesomesteaktitties is the chopper gunner.  That's where you really rack up some kills.  To me, that's the one that can get you to 25 if you can manage to stay alive while you're manning the gun.

As far as Bling goes, I'll probably use it if I ever play hardcore.  But, in regular core and playing a lot of HQ where there could wave after wave of enemies coming at me, I like the quick reload.  The holographic sight is all I need.

ETA:  I realized I don't have your tag, Gil.  If you want to give it out, send me an IM.  If not, cool.  Yeti and I manage to get in a game at least once a week.

That's because he's on the PS3.  GEEZ!

D'oh!  Sorry, Gil.

Come to think of it, Yeti might be right.  I've noticed the same thing.  I have the sentry gun as one of my killstreak perks.  It usually racks up kills, and it certainly would get me to my next streak, but I would never get the bonus.  Interesting.

I think it's a good way to even things out so average players like myself can't get nukes easily. Also, it prevents stuff like I used to do in the old game (MW1 and WaW) where I'd get the 7 kill award (dogs or heli) and wait til I die to use it to start a new streak on the next spawn.

Good Lord, I'm dumb.  I never thought of that before.

Now, I've heard it both ways.  Some people I've spoken to have said that kills obtained with a heli or sentry gun count toward the overall streak, while others say differently.  But the uniform thing I've heard is that you cannot get an award higher than your current unlock on the killstreak, i.e. the nuke.  The only time I've gotten the AC130 or the stealth or whathaveyou has been via the airdrop.

And I love the fact that the designers added the feature that when you get a 3 streak, and the UAV, but continue your hot hand without using the UAV, you can wittle down your rewards.  Specifically, say you kill 3 guys right off the bat, but don't use the UAV, you kill another and get the airdrop.  I love how you'll get both the drop and the UAV.

Finally, are they going to add the regular team tactical?  I was in that all the time on MW1.  I love Mosh Pit now.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2009, 07:32:22 AM »

Now, I've heard it both ways.  Some people I've spoken to have said that kills obtained with a heli or sentry gun count toward the overall streak, while others say differently.  But the uniform thing I've heard is that you cannot get an award higher than your current unlock on the killstreak, i.e. the nuke.  The only time I've gotten the AC130 or the stealth or whathaveyou has been via the airdrop.

And I love the fact that the designers added the feature that when you get a 3 streak, and the UAV, but continue your hot hand without using the UAV, you can wittle down your rewards.  Specifically, say you kill 3 guys right off the bat, but don't use the UAV, you kill another and get the airdrop.  I love how you'll get both the drop and the UAV.

Finally, are they going to add the regular team tactical?  I was in that all the time on MW1.  I love Mosh Pit now.

Back to the point about the kills...just yesterday I was playing on Afghan and I was having a very mediocre day.  I got a four kill streak and called in my airdrop.  Thankfully, it was the AC-130 gunship.  I went from 15-13 just before the airdrop to finish 27-13 (that's 12 kills with the AC-130).  My next highest kill streak reward would have been the Predator Missile at 5, then the Chopper Gunner at 11.  I got neither, but I got 12 kills with the gunship.  What my thinking is is that you don't get the kills awarded to your streak if you receive a perk in the airdrop that you don't already have as a set killstreak reward.  Meaning, if my killstreaks are set at four (care package airdrop), five (Predator missile) and 11 (Chopper Gunner) and I receive the AC-130 in the airdrop, the game doesn't count any kills I get with the AC-130 toward my streak.  I'll have to survive on the map through the duration of my time as the AC-130 gunner, then shoot an enemy on the map to get my fifth kill and the Predator missile.  Does that make sense?  I doubt it does.

I was close to proving my theory right or wrong yesterday as I outlived my time sitting there with a laptop on the map as I was the AC-130 gunner.  I finished getting my kills with it and then retook over my soldier.  I had a guy in my sights, hit him a couple times, but he ducked behind the downed airplane in the middle of the map and I couldn't locate him.  The match ended just then.

In other news, I got pretty much owned last night.  I didn't have many 25-5 games like I was during the weekend.
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 07:32:22 AM

Back to the point about the kills...just yesterday I was playing on Afghan and I was having a very mediocre day.  I got a four kill streak and called in my airdrop.  Thankfully, it was the AC-130 gunship.  I went from 15-13 just before the airdrop to finish 27-13 (that's 12 kills with the AC-130).  My next highest kill streak reward would have been the Predator Missile at 5, then the Chopper Gunner at 11.  I got neither, but I got 12 kills with the gunship.  What my thinking is is that you don't get the kills awarded to your streak if you receive a perk in the airdrop that you don't already have as a set killstreak reward.  Meaning, if my killstreaks are set at four (care package airdrop), five (Predator missile) and 11 (Chopper Gunner) and I receive the AC-130 in the airdrop, the game doesn't count any kills I get with the AC-130 toward my streak.  I'll have to survive on the map through the duration of my time as the AC-130 gunner, then shoot an enemy on the map to get my fifth kill and the Predator missile.  Does that make sense?  I doubt it does.

I was close to proving my theory right or wrong yesterday as I outlived my time sitting there with a laptop on the map as I was the AC-130 gunner.  I finished getting my kills with it and then retook over my soldier.  I had a guy in my sights, hit him a couple times, but he ducked behind the downed airplane in the middle of the map and I couldn't locate him.  The match ended just then.

In other news, I got pretty much owned last night.  I didn't have many 25-5 games like I was during the weekend.

Makes perfect sense.

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2009, 12:19:16 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 07:32:22 AM

Good call.  I think it makes sense too.  And for some odd reason, I was getting creamed yesterday too.  I had three or four really poor games.  Like 14-25 poor.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2009, 12:36:49 PM »
I've been enjoying taking advantage of the outside area on highrise. There's a nice spot on the opposite side of the crane where you can walk on a ledge on the side of the building and flank the opposing team. Also, it's probabaly a good spot to use the chopper gunner or AC130.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2009, 02:13:54 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 17, 2009, 12:36:49 PM
I've been enjoying taking advantage of the outside area on highrise. There's a nice spot on the opposite side of the crane where you can walk on a ledge on the side of the building and flank the opposing team. Also, it's probabaly a good spot to use the chopper gunner or AC130.

My favorite map is the one that's kind of in the downtown area of a Middle Eastern town.  I can't remember the name of it.  For the most part, I'm a fan of the maps.

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #186 on: November 17, 2009, 02:18:28 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 02:13:54 PM

My favorite map is the one that's kind of in the downtown area of a Middle Eastern town.  I can't remember the name of it.  For the most part, I'm a fan of the maps.

Kavela?

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #187 on: November 17, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 17, 2009, 02:18:28 PM

Kavela?

No, that one has all the tin roofs and shacks, right?  (And I think it's "Favela".)  That's the South American one.  I'm talking about the one with the clay buildings...I can't think of a landmark for it.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #188 on: November 17, 2009, 02:48:11 PM »

Kavela?

Favela.  And I'm guessing he means either Invasion or Karachi.  I like Invasion a lot, but Karachi is a pain in the ass because of the couple spots where people always camp.  And there are a few maps I really have a hard time telling apart.  Karachi and Skidrow are a lot alike.  I think Skidrow is the more annoying one, if I remember correctly.  It's the one where most of it takes place inside apartment buildings.  They made way too many spots up high where players can camp behind a wall and pick people off.  I like that a lot of the maps are more vertical, but there are some that give way too much of an advantage to the player that's higher up.  In general, I think most of the maps are really balanced, and there are only a few I just like to avoid (Wasteland).

Philberto

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2009, 03:06:54 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 02:44:58 PM

Kavela?

No, that one has all the tin roofs and shacks, right?  (And I think it's "Favela".)  That's the South American one.  I'm talking about the one with the clay buildings...I can't think of a landmark for it.

Has a tank in the middle? Along with a gas station on one side. Also, has a shop with a couple mannequins on it? Then Weebs is right. Skidrow is cool. I like being in the building with the MG b/c you can sit in that window and have a perfect sight on the library area and rake.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #190 on: November 17, 2009, 03:14:45 PM »
Quote from: IrishYeti on November 17, 2009, 03:06:54 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 02:44:58 PM

Kavela?

Has a tank in the middle? Along with a gas station on one side. Also, has a shop with a couple mannequins on it? Then Weebs is right. Skidrow is cool. I like being in the building with the MG b/c you can sit in that window and have a perfect sight on the library area and rake.

I believe Karachi is the bigger pain in the ass, if I'm remembering right.  I think that's the one where you can climb along a few of the rooftops, and there's big bombed-out hole in one of the buildings.  Everyone just camps up on top of those few rooftops.

The levels that have super-tight corridors (mostly those apartment ones) annoy me because you can really notice the network issues when it's just one-on-one if both people see each other at the same time.  I'll look at a kill cam and it'll show the enemy firing at me before it actually showed it in my own game.  I know this is just a latency issue and according to the game, he must have actually fired first, but it's just frustrating when you think the guy should be dead but suddenly you are instead.

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2009, 03:25:49 PM »
Skidrow is the one with the brick buildings.  It has a forklift in a garage in one area.  I like that one a lot, too.  The one Yeti mentioned with the tank in the middle and the gas station on the side is the one I was thinking of beforehand.

Weebs, the high ground is always advantageous for a shooter.  That's not the game's fault...it's just science.

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2009, 03:30:38 PM »
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 03:25:49 PM
Skidrow is the one with the brick buildings.  It has a forklift in a garage in one area.  I like that one a lot, too.  The one Yeti mentioned with the tank in the middle and the gas station on the side is the one I was thinking of beforehand.

Weebs, the high ground is always advantageous for a shooter.  That's not the game's fault...it's just science.

I understand they always have the advantage, I'm just saying I think there are one or two levels where the advantage is so extreme, it borders on being too imbalanced once one player/team has that higher ground.  You don't want to make a multiplayer that has a very obvious balance issue.  Of course, it might not be as bad as I'm remembering a few of them.  I'd be really interested to see if Infinity Ward will release their player metrics for this game like Valve did with Team Fortress 2.  They show all the maps with dots for every single recorded death at each spot, so you'll see the really big clusters that obviously represented a chokehold, or in some cases, would show a flaw in balancing the design.  If you see a map where a large majority of the deaths are in one or two spots, there's some design issue causing it to be an easy spot to die (camping spot, height advantage, etc.).

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2009, 03:35:32 PM »
Quote from: Weebs on November 17, 2009, 03:30:38 PM
Quote from: Powdered Toast Man on November 17, 2009, 03:25:49 PM

I understand they always have the advantage, I'm just saying I think there are one or two levels where the advantage is so extreme, it borders on being too imbalanced once one player/team has that higher ground.  You don't want to make a multiplayer that has a very obvious balance issue.  Of course, it might not be as bad as I'm remembering a few of them.  I'd be really interested to see if Infinity Ward will release their player metrics for this game like Valve did with Team Fortress 2.  They show all the maps with dots for every single recorded death at each spot, so you'll see the really big clusters that obviously represented a chokehold, or in some cases, would show a flaw in balancing the design.  If you see a map where a large majority of the deaths are in one or two spots, there's some design issue causing it to be an easy spot to die (camping spot, height advantage, etc.).

SABRWeebs?

Weebs

• Resident Curb Warmer
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2009, 06:47:23 PM »
Yeti and IAN, that was some sploogetastic Modern Warfare-ing.  I'm glad I had witnesses for the most retarded round of MW2 I will ever have in my life.  I should have just stopped playing after that game and gone out on top.