News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Questions about Swine Flu  ( 20,592 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Questions about Swine Flu
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:56:28 PM »
If computers get viruses, can we catch swine flu on the Desipio Message Board?
How is it that swine flu has shown up in Israel?
Who here hasn't experienced swine flu symptoms after reading today's news?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Questions about Swine Flu
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:55:46 AM »
I'm not sure computer viruses get this far out on the fringe where Desipio resides.

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:38 AM »
I don't have swine flu and I'm not worried about getting it.

I have oinkment.
"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 28, 2009, 03:56:28 PM
If computers get viruses, can we catch swine flu on the Desipio Message Board?
How is it that swine flu has shown up in Israel?
Who here hasn't experienced swine flu symptoms after reading today's news?

I don't think that's how it works, Stew, but I would suggest increased surveillance of this  http://www.desipio.com/messageboard/index.php?topic=5671.0 just in case
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
Serious stuff.  It's in Chicago now.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/04/could-swine-flu-cause-a-n-side-school-to-close.html

Probable swine flu closes Rogers Park school
April 29, 2009 7:11 AM | No Comments

A probable case of swine flu has prompted the closing of a North Side elementary school for at least two days.

The case involves a student at Kilmer Elementary School, 6700 N. Greenview Ave. in the Rogers Park neighborhood, Chicago Public Schools chief Ron Huberman said at a morning press conference at the school.

Chicago Public Health Commissioner Terry Mason said the student "is recovered at home." Ald. Joe Moore (49th) said the student is 12.

Huberman said tests on the student have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and he expects results back in 24 to 36 hours.

The decision to close the school was made Tuesday after the state reported the probable case to CPS and the system noticed an unusually high absentee rate at the school (see map), Huberman said.

Attendance at the school is normally 94 to 96 percent, but it was 87 percent on Tuesday, Huberman said. That was "clearly enough of a differential" to warrant the closing. He said the school would be closed "indefinitely," but at least for two days.

The Kilmer student population of 850 is 60 percent Hispanic. It has a teaching staff of 46. The school is also in a heavily Hispanic populated area of the Rogers Park neighborhood. The swine flu has taken its heaviest toll in Mexico.

J Rod

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 08:44:21 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 29, 2009, 08:35:36 AM

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/04/could-swine-flu-cause-a-n-side-school-to-close.html

A probable case of swine flu has prompted the closing of a North Side elementary school for at least two days.

The case involves a student at Kilmer Elementary School, 6700 N. Greenview Ave. in the Rogers Park neighborhood, Chicago Public Schools chief Ron Huberman said at a morning press conference at the school.

Chicago Public Health Commissioner Terry Mason said the student "is recovered at home." Ald. Joe Moore (49th) said the student is 12.

Huberman said tests on the student have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and he expects results back in 24 to 36 hours.

The decision to close the school was made Tuesday after the state reported the probable case to CPS and the system noticed an unusually high absentee rate at the school (see map), Huberman said.

Attendance at the school is normally 94 to 96 percent, but it was 87 percent on Tuesday, Huberman said. That was "clearly enough of a differential" to warrant the closing. He said the school would be closed "indefinitely," but at least for two days.

The Kilmer student population of 850 is 60 percent Hispanic. It has a teaching staff of 46. The school is also in a heavily Hispanic populated area of the Rogers Park neighborhood. The swine flu has taken its heaviest toll in Mexico.

Uh oh.  My roommate's girlfriend teaches 5th grade at an elementary school in Rogers Park.  Not sure if this is the same one.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:06 AM »

That's 12 blocks from me.  We'll try not to breathe.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:54:56 AM »
Quote from: MAD on April 29, 2009, 08:54:06 AM

Look for the warning signs. First symptom is irritability.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 08:58:45 AM »
Quote from: Frank on April 29, 2009, 08:54:56 AM
Quote from: MAD on April 29, 2009, 08:54:06 AM

Look for the warning signs. First symptom is irritability.

Fuck.  I've been living 4 blocks from the source for nearly 3 years now?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
Nothing like organizing a trip for high school students to build houses for the poor in Esenada, Mexico, then spending 3 months trying to convince parents that the kids weren't going to get gunned down by Pablo Escobar Jr., only to get the entire trip cancelled two days before we're supposed to leave because some asshole kissed a pig.  

That was worth a year's work.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 09:04:07 AM »
Quote from: fiveouts on April 29, 2009, 09:00:21 AM
Nothing like organizing a trip for high school students to build houses for the poor in Esenada, Mexico, then spending 3 months trying to convince parents that the kids weren't going to get gunned down by Pablo Escobar Jr., only to get the entire trip cancelled two days before we're supposed to leave because some asshole kissed a pig.  

Intrepid Reader:  Phil Rogers

Why would the Giants' third baseman's be gunning kids down?
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 09:07:51 AM »

Intrepid Reader Sarah from Anchorage: I demand an apology.

Tank

• Folklorist/Library Cop
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 10:34:41 AM »

My senior year of high school we had to cancel a trip to Chiapas a few months out.

But that was because some right-wing paramilitaries massacred a bunch of women and children.

Instead, we went and roofed some houses in Brownsville.

Because that was, like, almost Mexico.
"So, this old man comes over to us and starts ragging on us to get down from there and really not being mean. Well, being a drunk gnome, I started yelling at teh guy... like really loudly."

Excerpt from The Astonishing Tales of Wooderson the Lesser

Gil Gunderson

• I do justice-y things.
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 29, 2009, 09:07:51 AM

Intrepid Reader Sarah from Anchorage: I demand an apology.

Wasilla'd

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 05:13:39 PM »