News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 82,291 )

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #225 on: June 28, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 28, 2010, 04:29:14 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on June 28, 2010, 03:47:11 PM
Quote from: BH on June 28, 2010, 03:29:02 PM
I know the iphone is sweet, no need to bother replying Yeti.

For RV and tdubbs and their fancy Android phones, can i get an update since you've had them for a little while now?

It rox my sox.

Battery drain is still an issue. I have to charge it basically every night - that one charge gets me a dozen or so phone calls or texts and an hour or two of internetsing. As long as you don't mind plugging it in overnight it's the tits.

You have android 2.1 running on yours? Saw that it's available and supposed to perform a lot better.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #226 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:04 PM »
Quote from: BH on June 28, 2010, 04:30:36 PM

For RV and tdubbs and their fancy Android phones, can i get an update since you've had them for a little while now?

It rox my sox.

Battery drain is still an issue. I have to charge it basically every night - that one charge gets me a dozen or so phone calls or texts and an hour or two of internetsing. As long as you don't mind plugging it in overnight it's the tits.

You have android 2.1 running on yours? Saw that it's available and supposed to perform a lot better.

I've heard that the Motorola Droid that I have is getting Android 2.2 this July, so that's cool too.
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #227 on: June 28, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »
Quote from: Gilgamesh on June 28, 2010, 04:33:04 PM

It rox my sox.

I've heard that the Motorola Droid that I have is getting Android 2.2 this July, so that's cool too.

The new droid x looks awesome.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #228 on: June 28, 2010, 05:09:53 PM »

It rox my sox.

Yeah - I downloaded 2.1 as soon as I got the phone, so I can't compare it to the previous version. Seems pretty smooth to me.

If you do end up getting 2.1, do this. I was having massive battery problems when I first got the phone but this was a huge help.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #229 on: June 28, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
Quote from: R-V on June 28, 2010, 05:09:53 PM

It rox my sox.

Yeah - I downloaded 2.1 as soon as I got the phone, so I can't compare it to the previous version. Seems pretty smooth to me.

If you do end up getting 2.1, do this. I was having massive battery problems when I first got the phone but this was a huge help.

I recall seeing an analogy along the lines of Android : iPhone :: Desktop Linux : OS X. This sort of stuff seems to reaffirm that...

QuoteFirst things first, go into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Assuming your phone has been on, or off the charger for ~10 minutes, it should show Time Without Signal at around 50%.

Next thing, press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #230 on: June 28, 2010, 07:07:40 PM »

It rox my sox.

If it's that big of a pain in the ass to plug in a phone at night, it's no wonder you only eat frozen food.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #231 on: June 28, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

The HD video is very handy, let me telll ya.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #232 on: June 28, 2010, 08:30:29 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on June 28, 2010, 08:19:14 PM

The HD video is very handy, let me telll ya.

Yeti's been hanging out at the playground a lot lately, "checking stock quotes" on his iPhone.

Kermit IV

• Still missing Daryle Ward.
  • Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #233 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:32 PM »
You Droid dudes, FYI, Kindle for Android came out recently, and it's good and free.  Download it.  There are plenty of free books on the Amazon Marketplace to keep you busy.

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #234 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:19 PM »
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on June 28, 2010, 07:07:40 PM

It rox my sox.

If it's that big of a pain in the ass to plug in a phone at night, it's no wonder you only eat frozen food.

It's not a pain in the ass for me. Thought it might be for others. Sweet zinger though.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »
The iPhone 4 antenna issue in action:

http://vimeo.com/12864890

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2010, 10:07:50 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on June 28, 2010, 05:28:46 PM
Quote from: R-V on June 28, 2010, 05:09:53 PM

It rox my sox.

I recall seeing an analogy along the lines of Android : iPhone :: Desktop Linux : OS X. This sort of stuff seems to reaffirm that...

QuoteFirst things first, go into Settings> About Phone> Battery> Battery Use> Cell Standby. Assuming your phone has been on, or off the charger for ~10 minutes, it should show Time Without Signal at around 50%.

Next thing, press HOME, and bring up the dialer. Dial *#*#4636#*#* (Do not press "Call"). After a second, it should bring up the "Testing" menu.

Go into Phone Information, press MENU, and tap "select radio band." You should experience a Force Close, don't panic, this was supposed to happen. Scrolling down shows that the preferred network type is GSM auto (prl).

What this means is that even though you are connected to a CDMA network, your phone is trying to find a GSM network, preventing the radio from sleeping, and causing excessive battery drain.

Remedy this by tapping GSM auto (prl), and changing it to CDMA auto (prl).

True, although there's an app that makes it really easy to do.

QuoteAs has been noted elsewhere, the application "Network" from the market also provides quick access to this setting.

Gilgamesh

• Unlimited Mullet Potential
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2010, 04:55:02 PM »
This is so bad, I'd root for the Orioles over this fucking team, but I can't. Because they're a fucking drug and you can't kick it and they'll never win anything and they'll always suck, but it'll always be sunny at Wrigley and there will be tits and ivy and an old scoreboard and fucking Chads.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2010, 07:20:51 PM »
If any of you are in the market for a desktop, I can't recommend the 27" iMac enough.  The screen is awesome.  A $250 box (cheaper options are out there) lets you use any HDMI device (PS3 in my case) on it through the Mini DisplayPort video in feature.  It's also almost as fast as a Mac Pro, and even faster in some aspects.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

MidgetSellingWater

• Pollyellon Fan Club
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2010, 10:47:42 PM »
Somehow, I feel this somehow relates to some of the Wrigley Field patrons...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg&feature=related