News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 82,278 )

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #270 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:22 AM »
Quote from: PenPho on July 15, 2010, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 15, 2010, 10:49:06 AM
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 15, 2010, 10:39:54 AM
Quote from: R-V on July 15, 2010, 09:02:10 AM
Quote from: Yeti on July 15, 2010, 08:32:21 AM
Quote from: Yeti on June 24, 2010, 08:45:55 AM
Quote from: BH on June 24, 2010, 08:33:41 AM
Quote from: Yeti on June 24, 2010, 08:19:58 AM
It's boneriffic. That is all.

ATT has started their limited data plans right? The iphone, without unlimited data, is missing the point in my opinion.

How much do you actually use? My last three months of usage were 1GB each month. I am on the internet quite a bit. I was shoutboxing, listening to slacker radio 1-2 hours per day, using the GPS, emailing, and facebook stalking like a motherfucker. And still I wasn't using but half of what their $25 plan offers. They have claimed that 99% of users don't go over 2GB. I am not worried about going over because that would mean I have doubled my internet usage. That's pretty extreme. Plus, at $25/month for 2GB, you're paying $5 less a month. I was told that if I go over, it will charge me an extra $10 and I have another GB to use.. So, if I go over every other month (not likely) then I'm paying what I was paying before. I doubt this limit will hamper most people.

Also, if you have the unlimited iPhone internet now, if you switch to the new iPhone, then they will let you keep it. The stipulation is that if you do switch to the 2GB one, you can't go back.

So, I got a text message from AT&T last night stating that I had used 65% of my internet usage, 14 days through the month. I checked online and it said I've used 1.4GB of the 2.048GB.. My usage has changed in that I'm listening to Internet radio about 6-7 hours of my work day. I guess I'm a part of that 1% that needs more than 2GB? I call shenanigans. Also, any of you know that if I'm using Wi-Fi does that somehow count as my usage? I wouldn't think it does, but you never know.

I don't believe so. I think you just get charged for using 3G.

Yeah, and if you're streaming all day at work, you're either using the 3G or still violating office policy if using the wifi.

Googling led me to this:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/06/pandora-iphone.html

QuotePop & Hiss conducted a test run of an hour of continuous music streaming on the default sound-quality setting with Pandora on the iPhone. (Flipping on high-quality streaming doesn't make a huge difference in bandwidth consumption.) It weighed in at just under 16 megabytes.

In other words, you'd need to stream about 4 hours on Pandora every day to hit the 2-gig monthly limit.

1.4 GB in two weeks works out to just over 100 MB per day, or 140 MB per work day. Used for nothing else but Pandora, that would be around 6.5 hours per day over 14 days and 9 hours per day over 10 days, according to the LA Times' test.

Then, of course, you have to consider other stuff you use the 3G for. Googling tells me the average Youtube video is 10 MB per minute (so a minute of Youtube is equivalent to 30-40 minutes on Pandora).

It also doesn't help that when July 1 rolled around I had only had the phone for about a week and I have still been downloading apps quite a bit. That's slowed down a little, but there have been a couple that were over 200 MB apparently since I had to use WiFi to download them. Maybe my usage will normalize in August, but it definitely seems like BH was right in the "The iphone, without unlimited data, is missing the point in my opinion. " assessment.

You can't own bandwidth, man.

True, but they can sure as hell skullfuck my wallet for it.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #271 on: July 15, 2010, 11:16:01 AM »
By the way, I don't stream much and I've got most of the apps I want/need, and I barely use a tenth of the 2gb, apparently. Even though I use the internet on my phone all the time.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #272 on: July 15, 2010, 11:17:21 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 15, 2010, 11:11:22 AM

ATT has started their limited data plans right? The iphone, without unlimited data, is missing the point in my opinion.

How much do you actually use? My last three months of usage were 1GB each month. I am on the internet quite a bit. I was shoutboxing, listening to slacker radio 1-2 hours per day, using the GPS, emailing, and facebook stalking like a motherfucker. And still I wasn't using but half of what their $25 plan offers. They have claimed that 99% of users don't go over 2GB. I am not worried about going over because that would mean I have doubled my internet usage. That's pretty extreme. Plus, at $25/month for 2GB, you're paying $5 less a month. I was told that if I go over, it will charge me an extra $10 and I have another GB to use.. So, if I go over every other month (not likely) then I'm paying what I was paying before. I doubt this limit will hamper most people.

Also, if you have the unlimited iPhone internet now, if you switch to the new iPhone, then they will let you keep it. The stipulation is that if you do switch to the 2GB one, you can't go back.

So, I got a text message from AT&T last night stating that I had used 65% of my internet usage, 14 days through the month. I checked online and it said I've used 1.4GB of the 2.048GB.. My usage has changed in that I'm listening to Internet radio about 6-7 hours of my work day. I guess I'm a part of that 1% that needs more than 2GB? I call shenanigans. Also, any of you know that if I'm using Wi-Fi does that somehow count as my usage? I wouldn't think it does, but you never know.

Yeah, and if you're streaming all day at work, you're either using the 3G or still violating office policy if using the wifi.

Googling led me to this:

QuotePop & Hiss conducted a test run of an hour of continuous music streaming on the default sound-quality setting with Pandora on the iPhone. (Flipping on high-quality streaming doesn't make a huge difference in bandwidth consumption.) It weighed in at just under 16 megabytes.

In other words, you'd need to stream about 4 hours on Pandora every day to hit the 2-gig monthly limit.

1.4 GB in two weeks works out to just over 100 MB per day, or 140 MB per work day. Used for nothing else but Pandora, that would be around 6.5 hours per day over 14 days and 9 hours per day over 10 days, according to the LA Times' test.

Then, of course, you have to consider other stuff you use the 3G for. Googling tells me the average Youtube video is 10 MB per minute (so a minute of Youtube is equivalent to 30-40 minutes on Pandora).

It also doesn't help that when July 1 rolled around I had only had the phone for about a week and I have still been downloading apps quite a bit. That's slowed down a little, but there have been a couple that were over 200 MB apparently since I had to use WiFi to download them. Maybe my usage will normalize in August, but it definitely seems like BH was right in the "The iphone, without unlimited data, is missing the point in my opinion. " assessment.

True, but they can sure as hell skullfuck my wallet for it.

I didn't think it was possible, but AT&T both sucks and blows.

Tinker to Evers to Chance

• F@#$in' New Guy
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #273 on: July 15, 2010, 11:46:11 AM »

Googling led me to this:

I can.  But that's because I'm not a penniless Yeti.
Validated by Thrillho - Vicinity WG543441 on or about 102345AUG08

I don't get this KurtEvans photoshop at all.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #274 on: July 15, 2010, 11:52:38 AM »
Quote from: Tinker to Evers to Chance on July 15, 2010, 11:46:11 AM

Googling led me to this:

I can.  But that's because I'm not a penniless Yeti.

Intrepid Reader CT: [Snorts and pounds fist on table.]
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #275 on: July 15, 2010, 11:53:14 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 15, 2010, 11:16:01 AM
By the way, I don't stream much and I've got most of the apps I want/need, and I barely use a tenth of the 2gb, apparently. Even though I use the internet on my phone all the time.

Ordinary web pages are, of course, a different story. To reach 2 GB in 30 days, Yeti would have to load (fresh, not from the phone's cache) the British Muscle Bear homepage every 10 minutes 24 hours a day for the whole month.

Or he could hard reload the lightweight mobile version of his Wikipedia article on autofellatio every 50 seconds.

Even the shoutbox, which checks for updates every 6 seconds or so when it hasn't fallen asleep, only pulls down something in the neighborhood of 100-200 KB per hour. Meaning he'd need to keep something like 15-25 separate shoutboxes active and running 24-7 for 30 days.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #276 on: July 15, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 15, 2010, 11:53:14 AM

Ordinary web pages are, of course, a different story. To reach 2 GB in 30 days, Yeti would have to load (fresh, not from the phone's cache) the British Muscle Bear homepage every 10 minutes 24 hours a day for the whole month.

Or he could hard reload the lightweight mobile version of his Wikipedia article on autofellatio every 50 seconds.

Even the shoutbox, which checks for updates every 6 seconds or so when it hasn't fallen asleep, only pulls down something in the neighborhood of 100-200 KB per hour. Meaning he'd need to keep something like 15-25 separate shoutboxes active and running 24-7 for 30 days.

MEATSPIN.COM!!!

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #277 on: July 15, 2010, 12:03:18 PM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 15, 2010, 11:59:50 AM

MEATSPIN.COM!!!

Less than 500 KB. That's smaller than the BMB homepage.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #278 on: July 15, 2010, 01:27:39 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on July 15, 2010, 12:03:18 PM
Quote from: Yeti on July 15, 2010, 11:59:50 AM

MEATSPIN.COM!!!

Less than 500 KB. That's smaller than the BMB homepage.

even the new, improved one?
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
I guess Steve Jobs is pretty evil after all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn-YesqzvNk

Quote第四代iPhone出包賈伯斯忙滅火

蘋果創辦人賈伯斯最近因為新產品iPhone4頻頻出包得常常出面為產品背書。

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #280 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:24 AM »
FREE BUMPERS FOR ALL

QuoteApple will offer you some options if you are not satisfied with your iPhone 4:

* A free Apple bumper, or a free carrying case from some other company. You will be able to order one from Apple's Web page later this week. (If you have already bought an Apple bumper, you get a refund for it. No refund if you bought another company's case, however.) This whole thing could be another tricky spot, because Mr. Jobs acknowledged that there were not nearly enough bumpers to go around, and there were not very many non-Apple cases available yet, either.

* A full refund for the phone within 30 days of the day you buy it (or bought it — so if you bought it the day iPhone 4's went on sale, you have eight days left to return it). No restocking fee, no early-termination charges.

I bought a case last week but I'll take a free bumper if they're going to give it to me, but I'm sure it will be September/October before I get it.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #281 on: July 19, 2010, 09:54:53 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 19, 2010, 09:35:24 AM
FREE BUMPERS FOR ALL

QuoteApple will offer you some options if you are not satisfied with your iPhone 4:

* A free Apple bumper, or a free carrying case from some other company. You will be able to order one from Apple's Web page later this week. (If you have already bought an Apple bumper, you get a refund for it. No refund if you bought another company's case, however.) This whole thing could be another tricky spot, because Mr. Jobs acknowledged that there were not nearly enough bumpers to go around, and there were not very many non-Apple cases available yet, either.

* A full refund for the phone within 30 days of the day you buy it (or bought it — so if you bought it the day iPhone 4's went on sale, you have eight days left to return it). No restocking fee, no early-termination charges.

I bought a case last week but I'll take a free bumper if they're going to give it to me, but I'm sure it will be September/October before I get it.

I loved the software update to stop showing the reception is bad. Fixed.

I installed iOS4 on my 3G iphone, big mistake. Everything lags now.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #282 on: July 19, 2010, 09:57:38 AM »
Quote from: BH on July 19, 2010, 09:54:53 AM

I'm in the same boat. It's more or less rendered my email useless.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #283 on: July 19, 2010, 10:05:39 AM »
Quote from: Bort on July 19, 2010, 09:57:38 AM

A friend of mine's only complaint about iOS4 was that it drained the ever loving shit out of his battery. Didn't hear about lag issues.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2010, 10:07:23 AM »
Quote from: Yeti on July 19, 2010, 10:05:39 AM
Quote from: Bort on July 19, 2010, 09:57:38 AM

A friend of mine's only complaint about iOS4 was that it drained the ever loving shit out of his battery. Didn't hear about lag issues.

I have both - email is painful and the battery life is a joke.