News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Apple  ( 82,282 )

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Apple
« Reply #480 on: March 29, 2011, 02:39:57 PM »
Quote from: smg on March 29, 2011, 12:24:27 PM
Quote from: Richard Chuggar on March 29, 2011, 10:38:59 AM
Quote from: smg on March 29, 2011, 09:46:17 AM
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 28, 2011, 11:43:24 PM
Quote from: smg on March 28, 2011, 11:33:43 PM

The logic board is new, as they replaced it with the display  -- and they only replaced the display because that is apparently where the networking hardware is.  Personally, I really did not believe it was a software problem, given that the first time it ever happened was immediately after a massive hardware swap, but I know you have to go through all the troubleshooting stuff.  The internet issue is much better, but that is due to my googling skills, and not any of the umpteen "repairs".  I changed the Airport settings to assign a DHCP address manually, and then chose a number that was outside of the range that the router would have automatically assigned.  Since then (and it's been about 4 or 5 days of heavy use), I've noticed the connection fail only once. 

Yes, other clients work and the ISP has been ruled out.  In fact, this started right around when my baby was born, and I assumed it was Comcast's fault (aren't all bad things?).  I had them out here when the baby was feeding around the clock and I was out of my mind exhausted, and they insisted their service wasn't to blame (there's a first time for everything), and then re-set up my wiring which I did not appreciate, and also replaced my splitter without telling me, which resulted in a worse signal.  So that was fun.  Then, I troubleshot the router.  No change.  Then, by coincidence, the power supply of the router failed and Apple replaced it.  Still no change.  Then, it finally occurred to me to see if other wifi clients were losing their connection when the laptop was, and they weren't.  So by then, I was fully satisfied that it was the laptop's fault, but Apple wasn't.  Vendors LOVE networking issues.  They can blame the ISP.  The router.  The neighbor's microwave.  The baby monitor.  Anything but their own machine. 

In any event, the card and the antenna and the logic board have all been replaced, as has the router.  The dude I was talking to today is supposed to call back tomorrow.  He agrees that Apple should be offering a solution other than returning to the store for the 4th time and dealing with the snotty Genius Bar manager.  ("We don't think it is the hardware, but we swapped it out to make you feel better.")

More then you wanted to know?

The wireless antenna is concealed within the bezel surrounding the display.  Maybe it's all one piece that can't be swapped out separately with the new models, but that seems quite inefficient.  What about the graphics card then, on the display issue?

They didn't check for it when it first failed, they just re-swapped the display.  I've informed my advisor that I am looking for a solution other than "just bring it back to the Apple Store" and he agreed, so we'll see what happens today, now that he knows that the display failed on the new OS install.

Keep me posted.

Apple is replacing the computer.  Score.

Under warranty or out of warranty?
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

smg

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #481 on: March 29, 2011, 02:54:44 PM »
Under warranty.  I have AppleCare.  It's pretty sweet -- a new, current machine, so it is an upgrade.  And they allow you to pay extra to customize if you choose, and they will also refund a pro-rated amount of the AppleCare and allow me to buy a new AppleCare.

Saul Goodman

• Not NOT Sterling
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #482 on: March 29, 2011, 03:08:48 PM »
Quote from: smg on March 29, 2011, 02:54:44 PM
Under warranty.  I have AppleCare.  It's pretty sweet -- a new, current machine, so it is an upgrade.  And they allow you to pay extra to customize if you choose, and they will also refund a pro-rated amount of the AppleCare and allow me to buy a new AppleCare.

Jackpot. Glad they're making it right for you.
You two wanna go stick your wangs in a hornet's nest, it's a free country.  But how come I always gotta get sloppy seconds, huh?

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #483 on: March 29, 2011, 04:06:50 PM »

Have an extra grand on hand to upgrade to the SSD?
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

PenPho

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #484 on: March 29, 2011, 04:28:42 PM »
Quote from: Sterling Archer on March 29, 2011, 03:08:48 PM

Why don't you two just get a room already?
"I use exit numbers because they tell me how many miles are left since they're based off of the molested"

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #485 on: March 29, 2011, 05:09:58 PM »
Quote from: PenPho on March 29, 2011, 04:28:42 PM

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #486 on: March 30, 2011, 08:50:45 AM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on March 29, 2011, 05:09:58 PM

Reminds me of one of my early works...

I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #487 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:47 AM »
Quote from: morpheus on March 30, 2011, 08:50:45 AM

The Ribs Kid is the best.

Richard Chuggar

• TJG is back!
  • Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #488 on: March 30, 2011, 09:40:30 AM »
Quote from: BH on March 30, 2011, 09:33:47 AM
Quote from: morpheus on March 30, 2011, 08:50:45 AM

The Ribs Kid is the best.

Better than SPORTS???  Doubt it guitar boy. 
Better than NEGRON SPORTS???  Definitely not.
Because when you're fighting for your man, experience is a mutha'.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #489 on: April 05, 2011, 12:36:24 PM »

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #490 on: April 05, 2011, 01:18:09 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 05, 2011, 12:36:24 PM
No new iPhone in June.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/05/iphone-5-will-not-launch-in-june/

"My sources said today that rumors of an iPhone 5 release at the end of June were completely false.

The rumor started on a Korean site, translated by MacRumors, and that Apple had confirmed the news. "

That's too bad, his sources sound very good.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #491 on: April 05, 2011, 01:41:14 PM »
Quote from: BH on April 05, 2011, 01:18:09 PM
No new iPhone in June.

"My sources said today that rumors of an iPhone 5 release at the end of June were completely false.

The rumor started on a Korean site, translated by MacRumors, and that Apple had confirmed the news. "

By which you mean his sources (presumably at Apple) refuting this story from a Korean news site that claims that Apple has confirmed a late June release date?

Or did you misread that?

At any rate, the release of the next iPhone is now apparently rumored to be August or September, the change from their traditional summer release possibly related to this...

http://www.9to5mac.com/59019/howard-stringer-says-sony-image-sensors-delayed-for-apples-ipad/

QuoteI'm here watching Walt Mossberg talk to Sony's CEO, Sir Howard Stringer.  Stringer just said that their camera image sensor facility in Sendai was affected by the recent tsunami/quake.  In the next breath, he said something to the effect of getting image sensors to companies like Apple will be delayed.

The Street reported in April 2010 that the fifth generation iPhone would pack an 8 megapixel camera from Sony. The same report correctly predicted a 5 megapixel sensor for the iPhone 4. Perhaps Stringer's comment is evidence that the next-generation iPhone will have an 8 megapixel camera. Boom.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #492 on: April 05, 2011, 01:42:58 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 05, 2011, 01:41:14 PM
No new iPhone in June.

By which you mean his sources (presumably at Apple) refuting this story from a Korean news site that claims that Apple has confirmed a late June release date?

Or did you misread that?

At any rate, the release of the next iPhone is now apparently rumored to be August or September, the change from their traditional summer release possibly related to this...

http://www.9to5mac.com/59019/howard-stringer-says-sony-image-sensors-delayed-for-apples-ipad/

QuoteI'm here watching Walt Mossberg talk to Sony's CEO, Sir Howard Stringer.  Stringer just said that their camera image sensor facility in Sendai was affected by the recent tsunami/quake.  In the next breath, he said something to the effect of getting image sensors to companies like Apple will be delayed.

The Street reported in April 2010 that the fifth generation iPhone would pack an 8 megapixel camera from Sony. The same report correctly predicted a 5 megapixel sensor for the iPhone 4. Perhaps Stringer's comment is evidence that the next-generation iPhone will have an 8 megapixel camera. Boom.

No need to get asshurt, Tank.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #493 on: April 05, 2011, 01:44:01 PM »
Quote from: CT III on April 05, 2011, 01:42:58 PM
No new iPhone in June.

Or did you misread that?

Sports.

BH

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #494 on: April 05, 2011, 01:56:36 PM »
Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 05, 2011, 01:44:01 PM
Quote from: CT III on April 05, 2011, 01:42:58 PM
No new iPhone in June.

Or did you misread that?

Sports.

Let's not get distracted. Has Yeti put his broken thunderbolt on desipio for sale yet?