News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip  ( 90,401 )

mtvernon

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
Re: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2006, 02:41:14 PM »
Contrarian view: I thought the Cold Open singing and dancing scene at the end of the second episode was very good.  The next couple of episodes have been a bit less stellar to the first two, but the show is still very good.  Hope that it gets good enough ratings to stay around for a while.

forkserker

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2006, 03:39:56 PM »
Quote from: The Slak on October 11, 2006, 12:49:43 PM
Quote from: forkserker on October 11, 2006, 11:06:06 AM
Quote from: The Slak on October 11, 2006, 09:54:41 AM

That's my issue. That blonde who is supposed to be hilarious in the context of the show's world, is dreadfully unfunny and almost a chore to listen to. Does she have a speech impediment, or am I the only one seeing that?

I thought that was her hilarious Holly Hunter imitation.

Unfunny? "The bear said, ROOOOOOOAAAAAR!"? Gold, Jerry!

That is the EXACT one I think of when I think of not funny. And then they said, "Go with it". No wonder why this fictional show has fictionally shitty ratings.

I told Mrs. Forkserker that sounded like some shit Tina Fey would use.

MDZ

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2006, 11:38:18 AM »
I've tried to get into Studio 60, but it just strikes me as a bastardized Sportsnight.  I'm sure it's easier to write up a sports highlight montage than a comedy show, but the show within a show is just killing it for me.  On another note, I watched the  pilot for 30 Rock (linked below) and found it to be pretty funny.  Alec Baldwin is the balls/steak sauce.  His character is absolutely perfect for him.  Tracy Morgan was surprisingly very good.  The show within a show was minimized, and I hope that continues. The skits on both shows are both subpar, but on Studio 60 they seem to be trying to be funny and failing like Kenny Bania, while on 30 Rock the skits are more of a parody of how horribly SNL has become.   http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/?show=30rock

The Slak

• Former Aardsomologist; Current Cottolingist
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2006, 11:42:56 AM »
Quote from: MDZ on October 12, 2006, 11:38:18 AM
I've tried to get into Studio 60, but it just strikes me as a bastardized Sportsnight.  I'm sure it's easier to write up a sports highlight montage than a comedy show, but the show within a show is just killing it for me.  On another note, I watched the  pilot for 30 Rock (linked below) and found it to be pretty funny.  Alec Baldwin is the balls/steak sauce.  His character is absolutely perfect for him.  Tracy Morgan was surprisingly very good.  The show within a show was minimized, and I hope that continues. The skits on both shows are both subpar, but on Studio 60 they seem to be trying to be funny and failing like Kenny Bania, while on 30 Rock the skits are more of a parody of how horribly SNL has become.   http://www.nbc.com/Video/rewind/full_episodes/?show=30rock

I have to agree, the first episode was pretty damn funny. And that Alec, what a good lookin' fella.

mtvernon

• Sam Fuld Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
Never watched Sports Night, so it is all new to me.

See the attached link regarding the un-originality of the Cold Open final scene that I mentioned above.  http://www.defamer.com/hollywood/studio-60/deep-inside-studio-60-aaron-sorkins-musical-comedy-influences-revealed-207136.php

BC

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
    • bricrozier@hotmail.com
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2006, 08:04:00 PM »
Well, I don't have the exact info but I have read a couple stories on the Internet that have said Studio 60's ratings are starting to fade badly from what the ratings were in the opener. Disappointing for me, anyway, because I like the show's premise and I actually like to be challenged by my TV shows... Give me Studio 60 over Survivor and Deal or No Deal and the SI Swimsuit Show (OK, well, not that last one)...

This all being said, I don't think NBC pulls the plug this year. Sorkin and the show are well-liked by most of the critics, NBC outpaid everyone else for the rights to broadcast the show, and Whitford and Perry are two guys that helped carry two past NBC ratings winners (TWW and Friends) for years...
Desipio is a free-flowing website that occasionally touches on the immaturity, foolishness and outright stupidity of its readership.

cubbiebluestew

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2006, 12:05:35 PM »
Speculation in the newspapers today that this show is on the endangered species list, its ratings having plummeted since week one.  I would not be sorry to see it go.  In fact I think that I will finish reading that Daniel Silva thriller that I started. So far terrorists have blown up St Peter's Dome in the Vatican.
Life is too short to be a Cub fan

forkserker

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2006, 12:10:39 PM »

I think, if nothing else, you'll start seeing more cameos on "Studio 60". Musical guests, things like that. But, yeah, NBC will hang in there with it, only because they're so heavily invested.

I think "30 Rock" will also run out of steam quickly.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: October 18, 2006, 07:12:02 PM »
Nuh-uh.  Superman does good.  You're doing well.
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2006, 08:09:03 PM »
Still found 30 Rock funny.

JD

• I feel like 30 million dollars.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2006, 08:19:30 PM »
I did, too. 
Can you help me live a little more?  I expect good news.

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2006, 11:09:03 PM »
Quote from: JD on October 18, 2006, 08:19:30 PM
I did, too. 

I, uh, think we're the only ones.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: October 18, 2006, 11:12:55 PM »
Quote from: The Slak on October 18, 2006, 11:09:03 PM
I did, too. 

That could be because you're the only ones watching it.  There's a good chance that both Studio 60 and 30 Rock will be canceled soon as 60 is hemorrhaging viewers and 30 doesn't have them to begin with.  Who would have thought that shows about the behind the scenes happenings of a show that's not funny wouldn't be funny?  Not me.
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?

The Slak

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2006, 11:25:18 PM »
Quote from: CPT on October 18, 2006, 11:12:55 PM
I did, too. 

That could be because you're the only ones watching it.  There's a good chance that both Studio 60 and 30 Rock will be canceled soon as 60 is hemorrhaging viewers and 30 doesn't have them to begin with.  Who would have thought that shows about the behind the scenes happenings of a show that's not funny wouldn't be funny?  Not me.

But 30 Rock IS funny.

CPT

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:32 AM »
Quote from: The Slak on October 18, 2006, 11:25:18 PM
Quote from: CPT on October 18, 2006, 11:12:55 PM
I did, too. 

But 30 Rock IS funny.

If you say so, Slak.  I only saw the first episode, and while Baldwin was good, I think the major stumbling point is Tina Fey as the main character, because she can't act at all.
If we're so fucking superior, why are we working here?