News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Video Screen Blues  ( 2,693 )

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Video Screen Blues
« on: April 03, 2015, 01:25:17 PM »
This should probably be in the "I admit it" thread, but I think that as the season wears on there will be a lot of comments about this topic so it may deserve its own thread.
Call me a Luddite, but I don't think I like the new video screens.  First of all, the scale.  They are HUGE.  Newer fields were built to accommodate them.  These are so big they had to be installed outside.  They are very big distractions.  Second, who needed them?  The play is going on right in front of the fans.  Do we really need to see a blown up baseball card picture of the batter?  Third, I read that they will bring in more revenue.  How?  By advertisements?  Terrific.  I also love the "which hat is the ball under?" game.  Does anyone over the age of 10, who is sober, really get into that?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

World's #1 Astros Fan

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Video Screen Blues
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 01:43:33 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 03, 2015, 01:25:17 PM
This should probably be in the "I admit it" thread, but I think that as the season wears on there will be a lot of comments about this topic so it may deserve its own thread.
Call me a Luddite, but I don't think I like the new video screens.  First of all, the scale.  They are HUGE.  Newer fields were built to accommodate them.  These are so big they had to be installed outside.  They are very big distractions.  Second, who needed them?  The play is going on right in front of the fans.  Do we really need to see a blown up baseball card picture of the batter?  Third, I read that they will bring in more revenue.  How?  By advertisements?  Terrific.  I also love the "which hat is the ball under?" game.  Does anyone over the age of 10, who is sober, really get into that?

Stew, I really think if you were to be in attendance Sunday evening to watch the Ernie Banks video tribute with 32,000+ of your closest friends before kicking off the season I think you might change your tune.
Just a sloppy, undisciplined team.  Garbage.

--SKO, on the 2018 Chicago Cubs

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:46:16 PM »
I've tried to carefully cultivate an ironically detached online persona, but it absolutely infuriates me that people are upset about scoreboards at Wrigley.

Eli

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 01:51:06 PM »

DPD. But this might alleviate some of your concerns about scoreboard games and advertisements:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-wrigley-field-videoboard-ready-for-its-closeup-20150403-story.html

SKO

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »

Done, you Luddite.
I will vow, for the sake of peace, not to complain about David Ross between now and his first start next year- 10/26/2015

flannj

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 02:16:57 PM »
Baseball knows what they have to do keep up with changing generational interests.

Stare at phone... glance at giant video board.

Geez I sound like Yellon.

But it brings in revenue and hopefully keeps another generation interested in the experience of attending a game.
So it's all good with me.

Not enough cell or wifi service? That's an attendance killer.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." -- Al Swearengen

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 02:31:04 PM »
Quote from: Eli on April 03, 2015, 01:46:16 PM
I've tried to carefully cultivate an ironically detached online persona, but it absolutely infuriates me that people are upset about scoreboards at Wrigley.

I learned within months of moving here never to discuss the Cubs with strangers in bars unless I was too drunk to care about the nonsense spewing from their Yellonholes.
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »
When I see the board, my only thought is whether or not it will affect wind patterns in the ballpark.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:02:56 PM »
Quote from: Fork on April 03, 2015, 02:46:41 PM
When I see the board, my only thought is whether or not it will affect wind patterns in the ballpark.

I'm just concerned with excited by the prospect of the dent Soler is going to put into it.  I hope we get some Natural style exploding light panel effects as well.
Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 03:24:34 PM »

You realize that the better your seats in Wrigley, the less chance you get to see a replay, right? Until Sunday.

CBStew

• Most people my age are dead.
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 05:39:38 PM »
So everyone except me enjoys the "which hat is the ball under game"?
If I had known that I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.   (Plagerized from numerous other folks)

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:56:23 PM »
Quote from: CBStew on April 03, 2015, 05:39:38 PM
So everyone except me enjoys the "which hat is the ball under game"?

I spend my downtime during a ballgame ogling trixies.

J. Walter Weatherman

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2015, 08:00:10 AM »
First of all, the scale.  They are HUGE.

Quote from: J. Walter Weatherman on April 16, 2013, 04:59:29 PM
Heh...

Quote from: digitalbenjaminI think Mike's rendering is a little bit off...

I re-did the math, and it's even worse than I feared.

Quote from: Al YellonThat's way more than 6,000 square feet.

Your image is way too large.
Loor and I came acrossks like opatoets.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 11:21:20 AM »
Now I wish the board was actually that big.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Powdered Toast Man

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2015, 12:28:09 PM »

I have no problems with enormous beautiful HD TV's that play slow motion replays of awesome stuff at ballparks because as a 33 year old that likes sports I'm used to enormous beautiful HD TV's that play slow motion replays of awesome stuff.

Plus, who can honestly wait for a 70' tall head shot of Kris Bryant?
IAN/YETI 2012!  "IT MEANS WHAT WE SAY IT MEANS!"