News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,709 )

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2010, 12:57:30 PM »
Quote from: Internet Apex on April 13, 2010, 12:56:49 PM
Quote from: CT III on April 13, 2010, 12:55:43 PM
Are people really annoyed by Ricketts already?  I was planning on at least giving him one season to completely fuck things up before I start calling for Mark Cuban to save us all.

Are you new here?

I'm new-ER.

Indolent Reader

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2010, 01:07:17 PM »
I don't like the large pictures by the big red sign.  But my opinion doesn't count.

CT III

• Administrator
  • Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 01:14:37 PM »

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:30 PM »
Are people really annoyed by Ricketts already?  I was planning on at least giving him one season to completely fuck things up before I start calling for Mark Cuban to save us all.

I'm with CT on this one. Comparing the Rickettseses to the McClaskeys, while amusing, is about as realistic as Huey being able to fit a Bacci slice into the side pocket of his carpenter jorts.

morpheus

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 01:22:41 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2010, 01:17:30 PM

I'm with CT on this one. Comparing the Rickettseses to the McClaskeys, while amusing, is about as realistic as Huey being able to fit a Bacci slice into the side pocket of his carpenter jorts. folds of his Tronsuit.

Huey'd.
I don't get that KurtEvans photoshop.

Quality Start Machine

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:19 PM »
Quote from: morpheus on April 13, 2010, 01:22:41 PM

I'm with CT on this one. Comparing the Rickettseses to the McClaskeys, while amusing, is about as realistic as Huey being able to fit a Bacci slice into the side pocket of his carpenter jorts. folds of his Tronsuit.

Huey'd.

Cut him some slack. It's hard to keep up on memes when you're dead.
TIME TO POST!

"...their lead is no longer even remotely close to insurmountable " - SKO, 7/31/16

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 01:32:21 PM »
I'm as skeptical of the Ricketts as Morph is of Global Warming, but I'm of the opine that the media is playing of the new owners because they think it's decent copy.

If in July, the Ricketts are all over the radio pimping themselves about how they are greeting people in the stands and the Kalfonso Koriano story is on the back burner, then it will be creepy.

Dr. Nguyen Van Falk

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 01:57:05 PM »
WHAT THESE FANCY DANS IN CHICAGO THINK THEY DO?

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »

I'm with CT on this one. Comparing the Rickettseses to the McClaskeys, while amusing, is about as realistic as Huey being able to fit a Bacci slice into the side pocket of his carpenter jorts.

Why isn't it realistic to note that I see some red flags? The Ricketts' are probably better than Andy McKenna, John Madigan, Don Grenesko, Larry Himes, Andy MacPhail, Stanton Cook, Dennis FitzSimons, Sam Zell, Crane Kenney, et. al., but do you want...

... family ownership?

... featuring many siblings?

... a little more politically involved than you might be comfortable with?

... with a son who claims to be an expert because he played in high school and "grew up" with the team (whether in the bleachers or as a ballboy)?

... with family members that has found itself befriending ballplayers? (Great, now the Cubs hold onto Dempster and Theriot because they're great guys, but the guys who don't hang with Tom Ricketts are let go)

... obsessed more about the condition of the stadium than the actual product in said stadium?

That all said, I'll see how it all plays out. I'm more annoyed by the coverage of them, but I am getting Ricketts Fatigue.

Bort

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
"Javier Baez is the stupidest player in Cubs history next to Michael Barrett." Internet Chuck

R-V

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 02:21:03 PM »
Quote from: Brownie on April 13, 2010, 02:08:59 PM

Why isn't it realistic to note that I see some red flags? The Ricketts' are probably better than Andy McKenna, John Madigan, Don Grenesko, Larry Himes, Andy MacPhail, Stanton Cook, Dennis FitzSimons, Sam Zell, Crane Kenney, et. al., but do you want...

... family ownership?

... with a son who claims to be an expert because he played in high school and "grew up" with the team (whether in the bleachers or as a ballboy)?

... with family members that has found itself befriending ballplayers? (Great, now the Cubs hold onto Dempster and Theriot because they're great guys, but the guys who don't hang with Tom Ricketts are let go)

... obsessed more about the condition of the stadium than the actual product in said stadium?

That all said, I'll see how it all plays out. I'm more annoyed by the coverage of them, but I am getting Ricketts Fatigue.

I think that's really all it is. Cubs fans are stupid, newspaper editors know this, the Rickettses know this, so they're playing up the "we love the players!" and the "we love these fans and this ballpark" stuff because the dopes will eat it up like a reasonably priced piece of pizza sold outside the ballpark. I'm sure given enough time we'll have real reasons to hate them. But at this point there's no point to pre-emptively dislike them a la Chuck hating Soriano in 2007 and 2008.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2010, 02:29:37 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2010, 02:21:03 PM
Quote from: Brownie on April 13, 2010, 02:08:59 PM

... family ownership?

I think that's really all it is. Cubs fans are stupid, newspaper editors know this, the Rickettses know this, so they're playing up the "we love the players!" and the "we love these fans and this ballpark" stuff because the dopes will eat it up like a reasonably priced piece of pizza sold outside the ballpark. I'm sure given enough time we'll have real reasons to hate them. But at this point there's no point to pre-emptively dislike them a la Chuck hating Soriano in 2007 and 2008.

Okay I laughed.
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

Waco Kid

• Fukakke Fan Club
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2010, 02:37:38 PM »
It's way too early to get worked up about the Ricketts ownership.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:15 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2010, 02:21:03 PM

True.  The Ricketts are a cipher. We don't know what kind of owners they will be.

Soriano had a track record of being nothing but a DH when I started hating him.

fiveouts

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:44 PM »
Ricketts, in his interview on the Score yesterday, talked a lot about the need for the organization to move in a more statistically-inclined direction, mentioning SABRmetrics by name.

If he dumps Hendry and brings in a front office that understands the difference between OBP and OBGYN, he could beat his penis on a drum made of a Billy Goat head and I wouldn't care.