News:

OK A-holes.  It's fixed.  Enjoy the orange links, because I have no fucking idea how to change them.  I basically learned scripting in four days to fix this damned thing. - Andy

Main Menu

Author Topic: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread  ( 144,833 )

Lance Dicksons Arm

• Fukakke Fan Club
Re: Ricketts Family Annoyance Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 02:45:40 PM »
Quote from: R-V on April 13, 2010, 02:21:03 PM
I think that's really all it is. Cubs fans are stupid, newspaper editors know this, the Rickettses know this, so they're playing up the "we love the players!" and the "we love these fans and this ballpark" stuff because the dopes will eat it up like a reasonably priced piece of pizza sold outside the ballpark.

Maybe they really do love all of it to that odd degree though.  Why is that not plausible??   If I woke up one morning and owned the Cubs and the ballpark, I'd think it was pretty fucking cool, too.   I'd be out there acting like a little girl on opening day....I won't lie.

I don't really know how much of this shit is real, how much is theater, how much is media, etc, etc  But I'm willing to give them more than a week of the regular season before I board the Ricketts HATEmobile.   They're the anti-Corporate owner that we've been fucking saddled with for 25+ seasons.   If they still spend like a top 5 team...and they do so more wisely (and they need to hire a smarter GM to effectively do that, IMO), then I don't see much downside here.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 02:57:34 PM »
Quote from: fiveouts on April 13, 2010, 02:42:44 PM
If he dumps Hendry and brings in a front office that understands the difference between OBP and OBGYN, he could beat his penis on a drum made of a Billy Goat head and I wouldn't care.  

Then why hasn't he done so, yet?

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2010, 02:58:19 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 13, 2010, 02:57:34 PM
If he dumps Hendry and brings in a front office that understands the difference between OBP and OBGYN, he could beat his penis on a drum made of a Billy Goat head and I wouldn't care.  

Maybe because he wants to see how it all plays out?
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »
This thread is ghey

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2010, 03:17:53 PM »
Quote from: PenFoe on April 13, 2010, 02:58:19 PM

Seeing it play since 1995 isn't enough?

I think the reason they don't fire Jim is because they like him and he has a contract that runs 2 or 3 more years.  They have enough bad debts to worry about without adding Hendry's to the list.

Ironically, as much as they talk about developing talent, it's curious they don't examine Hendry's disastrous record in doing so since he got here.

MAD

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2010, 03:20:18 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 13, 2010, 03:17:53 PM

I think the reason they don't fire Jim is because they like him and he has a contract that runs 2 or 3 more years.  They have enough bad debts to worry about without adding Hendry's to the list.

So you original question was rhetorical?
I think he's more of the appendix of Desipio.  Yeah, it's here and you're vaguely aware of it, but only if reminded.  The only time anyone notices it is when it ruptures (on Weebs in the video game thread).  Beyond that, though, it's basically useless and offers no redeeming value.
Eli G. (6-22-10)

thehawk

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:34 PM »

I think the reason they don't fire Jim is because they like him and he has a contract that runs 2 or 3 more years.  They have enough bad debts to worry about without adding Hendry's to the list.

Ironically, as much as they talk about developing talent, it's curious they don't examine Hendry's disastrous record in doing so since he got here.

Tim Wilkens is starting to develop talent at the minor league level.  

I think the Ricketts' want to see with their own eyes how the entire orgainzation runs, and they realize that the only way really see what is going on in a business is to own it.  

Also, I think the Ricketts' are savy enough that most fan will give them a grace period for new ownership.  If they need to make front office changes, it will give them another grace period, so why use it now?

Can't begrudge them for playing with their very expensive and very new toy right now.  And its way way too soon to tell if they are going to behave like the McCaskey's and Bill Wirtz, or more like Rocky (who has made $$, spent $$ and who also hangs out in the stands).

Andre Dawson paid his $1,000 fine for the Joe West incident with style. Dawson wrote ``Donation for the blind`` in the memo section of his personal check.

Chuck to Chuck

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2010, 03:51:39 PM »
Quote from: MAD on April 13, 2010, 03:20:18 PM

No.  I wanted to see if Pen had an opinion.

PenFoe

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:14 PM »
Quote from: Chuck to Chuck on April 13, 2010, 03:51:39 PM
Quote from: MAD on April 13, 2010, 03:20:18 PM

No.  I wanted to see if Pen had an opinion.

Intrepid Reader Banner: Al

"That's my opinion and if you don't like it, well, I have others." ~ Groucho Marx
I can't believe I even know these people. I'm ashamed of my internet life.

RedBeard

• Hank White Fan Club
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2010, 05:48:13 PM »
Again with the penises. Always with the penises.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2010, 07:26:11 PM »
Quote from: thehawk on April 13, 2010, 03:33:34 PM

I think the reason they don't fire Jim is because they like him and he has a contract that runs 2 or 3 more years.  They have enough bad debts to worry about without adding Hendry's to the list.

Tim Wilkens is starting to develop talent at the minor league level.  

I think the Ricketts' want to see with their own eyes how the entire orgainzation runs, and they realize that the only way really see what is going on in a business is to own it.  

Also, I think the Ricketts' are savy enough that most fan will give them a grace period for new ownership.  If they need to make front office changes, it will give them another grace period, so why use it now?

Can't begrudge them for playing with their very expensive and very new toy right now.  And its way way too soon to tell if they are going to behave like the McCaskey's and Bill Wirtz, or more like Rocky (who has made $$, spent $$ and who also hangs out in the stands).

Nice call invoking Rockwell Wirtz. He's always in the stands and talking to fans. He's been the fucking man. Plus he hired McDonough so all the Sox fans can blame everything that goes wrong on him. Pretty clever.

Brownie

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #71 on: September 09, 2010, 06:23:08 PM »
Bump as we wait for the Gary Gaetti statue.

Slaky

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM »
Wow, so we hate the owner down through the GM, we're on the road to hating Quade and we definitely hate all of the players (except Starlin).

Explain to me again why I'm a Cubs fan?

Yeti

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #73 on: September 09, 2010, 06:27:06 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM
Wow, so we hate the owner down through the GM, we're on the road to hating Quade and we definitely hate all of the players (except Starlin).

Because your dad probably hated you

Oleg

• Johnny Evers Fan Club
« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2010, 06:29:58 PM »
Quote from: Slaky on September 09, 2010, 06:25:43 PM

Because the opposite of love is indifference?